Non-motoring > Dodgy conservatory roof... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 4

Dodgy conservatory roof... - Haywain
When we added a conservatory to the house, about 6 years ago, we went to great lengths to try to ascertain the most suitable type of roofing material. The structure was to face due south and so we wanted to avoid a situation where it turned into an oven during the summer; we also wanted to avoid ‘glare’ so that we could read in there.

In the end, we opted for a ‘cellular’ translucent polycarbonate material, with the addition of strips of metallized plastic (mylar?) up into the cells to reflect a large proportion of the radiation. This initially seemed to work well, and we were more than happy with the conservatory.

However, after 4 years or so, we noticed that some of the metallized strips appeared to be shrinking leaving a zig-zag appearance along the bottom edge of the roof. We then realised that the metallic coat was ‘bleaching’ out of the strips and the reflective properties were being lost. Either the strips were of a faulty batch or, possibly, the whole concept of using the strips was flawed and insufficiently tested.

The conservatory has a 10-year guarantee and so we are currently dealing with the reluctant builder who, up until this point, seemed to be a local, decent chap with a good reputation. He has been stalling, the excuse being that he is sorting it out with the manufacturer who supplied him with the roofing materials.

I just wonder if any of you chaps have come across this type of roof, have you experienced or heard of any problems and finally; how should I formally go about getting redress – as in the end, I can see it might come to a legal thing.

Cheers
 Dodgy conservatory roof... - PeteW
Firstly look carefully at the 10 year guarantee. It's likely to only cover 'major structural faults' and the frames. The actual poly roof sections probably only came with a minimal guarantee from the manufacturer.

I'm surprised you went for a poly roof in this situation - even six years ago you could get solar glass roof panels (probably blue tinted though) which would have done a better job.
You can now get non tinted ones.

I would suggest looking at the viability of removing the poly roof and replacing with a glass one. If poly is the only option then look at the triple layered (or better) ones now available.
Replacing with the same type of poly (if you could get it) will probably mean the same thing happening in a few years time - the product was not brilliant as you have found.

I do not think you will get much luck from the builder - and legal action is unlikely to get very far as he would probably declare himself bankrupt or do a runner!

Afraid whichever way you look at it, it's likely to cost you to get sorted properly.
 Dodgy conservatory roof... - Dog
I've owned 2 properties with arf decent sized conservatories, one SW facing and this one which faces SE,

They both had double glazed roofs and I wouldn't have it any other way,

The first one I had 'hand' built by a local builder including bronze solar glass which went nice with the timber,

This one is uPVC with clear glass but - it has a roof vent/window + pinolium blinds to keep out the currant bun.

No advice for you there, but it may help others.
 Dodgy conservatory roof... - Mike Hannon
When we lived in the UK we replaced our wire-reinforced glass conservatory roof (rusting and cracking because of our seaside location) with cellular polycarbonate because it seemed lighter and more convenient.
It blew away in the next big gale. We went back to glass...
 Dodgy conservatory roof... - Haywain
Thanks for the replies to my post. As I said, we did go into this one very carefully; a prime factor being that any type of glass that we saw, no matter how new and swishy, did not much reduce 'glare'. The polycarbonate that we chose was actually 5 'layers' thick i.e. 4 'cells' thick and gave very good light diffusion. I have to say, although the metalised strips are now fading, they initialy did a very good job and the conservatory did not become unbearably hot during the height of summer.

We are now considering whether the best course of action is to try replacing the metalised strips, or to replace the polycarbonate with glass. The question then is whether or not the existing structure will stand the additional weight of the glass panels.
Latest Forum Posts