Non-motoring > stinky drains........... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 11

stinky drains........... - Bigtee
Now and again in our bathromm get this whiff of i suspect the drains coming up.

The house was built in 1909 so old plumbing under ground & never get smell in kitchen which is below bathroom.

Now plastic waste pipe in bathroom is original from some 20 years back i guess could this have a blockage or likely smell is sewer?

Put bleach and those sink blocks down it over the past 13 years we lived here and it comes back now and again over a few months.

Any ideas.
 stinky drains........... - R.P.
Have you opened up the inspection covers - usually, the answer lies in there.....as my neighbours found out a few months ago.
No inspection covers on our property but found this elsewhere.

Use 1/2 cup of salt (I like a more course salt, but regular salt works fine), pour this down the drain. Next pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain. Now get ready to cap the drain quickly, pour 1 cup of white vinegar down the drain and cap it until the bubbles stop, about 1 minute. Kids love watching that part. Next follow with a kettle full of boiling water. Use hot tap water to clean up any spilled salt or soda in the sink.

The salt acts as a corrosive to clean the drain walls, the baking soda is an odor absorber and acts with the vinegar to "shake-up" the salt when it bubbles and the vinegar is acidic for cleaning and an odor eliminator. The boiling water helps dissolve the salt and washes away any leftover gunk in the drain. Clean your drains once a month and it prevents clogs too.

Going to try this later.
 stinky drains........... - R.P.
Try this stuff

www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/other-products/barrettine-amo-kleen-knock-out-drain-cleaner-1ltr.asp

Better than trying to mix your own maybe. It is strong stuff.
 stinky drains........... - teabelly
Do you definitely mean baking soda or washing soda crystals? The latter work reasonably well as a drain unclogger. Pour loads down then add boiling water.
 stinky drains........... - bathtub tom
Any women in the house?

My shower/bath drain used to benefit from removal of hair every now and then. The best tool I found was a piece of wire bent into a hook at the end and then go 'fishing' down the plughole. What came out usually looked and smelled like a dead rat.

IIRC hair is keratin. Almost nothing dissolves the stuff.
Yes fished out hair in the past, it was two years back i put in a new bathroom but the tight sod i am used mostly all the original waste pipe and i think some has got bacteria and some scum laying in near the bottom end of bathroom.

The shower waste is a very long run as the bathroom is longer than the width, So going to try that mix above possibly 2x times see if it works and sink and bath afterwards.

It's not every week or every month i just think so much builds up and it pongs. :-)
 stinky drains........... - BiggerBadderDave
"Any women in the house?"

Check under the floorboards, patio, false walls.
 stinky drains........... - CGNorwich
You shouldn't be getting any smells from sewers as traps on washbasin/showers will prevent this. Most likely cause is build up of soap/hair/etc in pipe from plug hole to trap. Bacteria living on this will cause smell If easily accessible plastic fittings best to un assemble and give a good clean. Failing that caustic soda available from your ironmongers is best (and cheapest) way to get rid of these deposits
 stinky drains........... - Bellboy
of course a good plunger shifts lots too,just remember to buy one with a proper rubber head on it and not a cheap plastic one thats hopeless like i did the other month
 stinky drains........... - Fenlander
Bathroom smells with no obvious reason are often a waste trap drying or syphoning dry.

Your comment *The shower waste is a very long run* makes the second problem quite likely. You may need an anti-syphon trap on the shower... particularly as many shower traps are actually too shallow to do the job properly.
 stinky drains........... - corax
When it's been cleared out use a plastic* filter over the drain hole. It traps all the hair, and you can dispose of it straight away. The drain always stays clean.

* Some of the metal ones are poor quality and begin to rust.
Latest Forum Posts