Non-motoring > Virgin HD Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pezzer Replies: 24

Virgin HD - Pezzer
Have just acquired a 2yo Sony 40inch LCD TV which I believe is 1080i rather than 1080p. Is it worth getting the Virgin HD feed switched on with this or would I be wasting my time ?

Having checked the net it was described as 'HD ready' but I seem to recall that was a bit of marketing speak.

thanks
 Virgin HD - Redviper
>> Have just acquired a 2yo Sony 40inch LCD TV which I believe is 1080i rather
>> than 1080p. Is it worth getting the Virgin HD feed switched on with this or
>> would I be wasting my time ?
>>

Yes Virgin HD Broadcasts in 720/1080i (Interlaced) By default so it will work fine no problem
 Virgin HD - Zero
1080i is still HD so worth it yes.

"FULL" HD is normally taken to mean it can receive HD at 1080p through one of its tuners.

You will fed it through HDMI, so its will be fine with the Virgin box.
 Virgin HD - smokie
Agree with the above, but in most cases Virgin SD is almost as good as HD - undoubtedly you can still see the difference but certainly on the "terrestrial" channels it isn't usually huge.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can get 1080p on either Sky, Virgin or fee-to-air - only from DVD. This of course may change in future.

Do you already have Virgin, if so which package? I believe HD is standard (i.e. no extra cost) in some packages - certainly on XL.
 Virgin HD - rtj70
>> only from DVD

Only from Blu-Ray surely ;-) Or from a media centre type PC with full HD files. Or a games console.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 19:19
 Virgin HD - Zero
or a USB stick

or an external hard drive.
 Virgin HD - rtj70
But they need plugging into something that can play back the HD files. Like some TVs... and Blu-ray players ;-)
 Virgin HD - spamcan61
>>
>> I may be wrong but I don't think you can get 1080p on either Sky,
>> Virgin or fee-to-air - only from DVD. This of course may change in future.
>>
Correct, there is no broadcast 1080p (only available from BluRay), I suspect if more bandwidth became available they'd probably fill it with 'shopping channels +2' or summat anyway.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 19:31
 Virgin HD - rtj70
I think you're right spamcan! :-)

It's a bit like DAB should be brilliant but they crammed so many channels into the available bandwidth the quality is not there.

Remember a 1080p broadcast will take double the bandwidth of a 1080i broadcast. So if we traded say had half the number of satellite channels in HD we could have full HD. Actually there is so much trash on the satellites bin say 75% of the duff stuff and broadcast more quality.
 Virgin HD - Zero
Its also not just 1080i or P, but the bandwidth they choose to employ and the compression method

The BBC chopped down its HD bitrate and compressed viciously at one point. but they have edged it up with variable bit rate.
 Virgin HD - AnotherJohnH
>> Correct, there is no broadcast 1080p (only available from BluRay), I suspect if more bandwidth became
>> available they'd probably fill it with 'shopping channels +2' or summat anyway.

I have feeling you're wrong, but I'll check the next time I'm at work (next week)

AFAIR Granada and (maybe) London ITV on DSAT are 1080P although the other ITV regions are 1080i.

Not that you'd know looking at the content.
 Virgin HD - spamcan61
>> >> Correct, there is no broadcast 1080p (only available from BluRay), I suspect if more
>> bandwidth became
>> >> available they'd probably fill it with 'shopping channels +2' or summat anyway.
>>
>> I have feeling you're wrong, but I'll check the next time I'm at work (next
>> week)
>>
That'll serve me right for being uncharacteristically categoric! :-)
 Virgin HD - AnotherJohnH
>> I have feeling you're wrong, but I'll check the next time I'm at work (next week)

>> AFAIR Granada and (maybe) London ITV on DSAT are 1080P although the other ITV regions are 1080i.

My turn for the naughty step, I'm wrong.

The difference (compared to many services) is that they are full resolution 1920x1080i, as opposed to the 3/4 resolution of 1440x1080i.
 Virgin HD - spamcan61
OK cheers for clearing that up John, suppose I'll have to upgrade my 28" CRT at some point, although I must admit when I look at some of the higher bitrate SD channels (Sky Arts One for example) the picture looks as good as I'd ever want. Probably be a different matter on a 50 incher though!
 Virgin HD - AnotherJohnH
Update regarding progressive scanning on UK HD services:

Terrestrial BBC HD has had it's coder(s) altered to allow progressive coding when the coder deems it appropriate for the content (as of about two weeks ago).
Note this is only the BBC HD, not BBC1 HD or ITV 1 HD or Channel 4 HD.

My TV is probably too small to appreciate fully what is happening - the only difference I can see sourced from a digitalstream DHR-8205 PVR (set to output progressive all the time) into my TV, are distinct frames on rapid movement, rather than blurry edges.

Forgot to add, it's still 3/4 resolution at 1440x1080

See also:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1452011
 Virgin HD - Pezzer
I'm on L so no I dont get it and I believe it is a £49 activation fee. However I'm getting somewhat dischuffed with the regular price increases so I'm going to trying a bit of haggling as I have tv, land line and broadband to bargain with.

Thanks to all for the replies
 Virgin HD - smokie
Definitely worth a haggle to get your monthly bills down, or more for your money. I have two "loyalty" bonuses on my account which knock off £30 a month.

Virgin HD - rtj70
I had similar when with Virgin. If I dropped some of my package I would no doubt have lost some of the discounts and been worse off. At one point I paid a lot for services (3 boxes - we had two teenagers who disagreed on what to watch, phone, broadband, Sport, movies etc.) and then when I got rid of it was costing me half as much as it once did! And the broadband was a reliable 10Mbit/s and was originally 512Kbit/s.

I'd have had virgin again at our new house but the discount was gone (6 months without services) and the Sky UI for the HD boxes is so much better. We lose out on recording two programmes and watching a third and all of the on-demand stuff. I also wanted the BT VDSL to have fast uploads for work. I will reconsider next year.
 Virgin HD - Pezzer
Well I managed to get the service upgraded to XL and HD for nothing (also could have retained the previous setup for a bit less per month) and decided to fork out £49 on the V+hd box and I have to say I am quite impressed so far. The ITV HD seems to be the best. There is a noticeable improvement although I was a bit peeved that Sky sports HD is not included (probably shouldnt be a surprise).
 Virgin HD - Redviper
>> The ITV HD seems to be the best. There is a noticeable
>> improvement although I was a bit peeved that Sky sports HD is not included (probably
>> shouldnt be a surprise).
>>

ITV HD Should be done under Trade Discriptions, as i dont rate it at all. infact most of the stuff that we watch on ITV is just as good in Standard Definition

Maybe its improved lately, however I havn't watched ITV HD for a while

BBC HD and C4HD are/where much better quality than ITV HD by a far IMO

As for Sky Sports, I would expect more "Sky" channels to dispear now that Murdoch has 100% of BSB
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 14:08
 Virgin HD - John H
>> As for Sky Sports, I would expect more "Sky" channels to dispear now that Murdoch
>> has 100% of BSB
>>

Can you expand as to what you mean?
Last edited by: John H on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 15:48
 Virgin HD - Redviper
>> Can you expand as to what you mean?
>>
>>

Sky One was removed off Virgin after the takeover from NTL, until Virgin paid the higher price to have Sky One, whats to stop him doing it again, all in the name of competition.
 Virgin HD - John H
>> Sky One was removed off Virgin after the takeover from NTL, until Virgin paid the
>> higher price to have Sky One, whats to stop him doing it again, all in
>> the name of competition.
>>

Sorry, I must be a bit thick today. I just don't understand what you are getting at.

Would it be better for "him" to just shut the satellite service down, or may be hand it voer to BBC?

That will improve competition, won't it?

Last edited by: John H on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 16:22
 Virgin HD - Redviper
>> Sorry, I must be a bit thick today. I just don't understand what you are
>> getting at.
>>
>> Would it be better for "him" to just shut the satellite service down, or may
>> be hand it voer to BBC?
>>
>> That will improve competition, won't it?

Maybe this will help

tinyurl.com/4tkbzao
 Virgin HD - John H
>> tinyurl.com/4tkbzao
>>
>>

Still don't understand.
But I suppose next thing people will be asking for is Apple to allow Microsoft access to its iPads and iPods technology, or for British Airways to allow Virgin Atlantic ticket-holders on its planes..

Last edited by: John H on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 17:18
Latest Forum Posts