Non-motoring > Doctors records. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 12

Doctors records. - -
Just been to the surgery, and whilst there the Doctor aksed me if i was still off the ciggies.

He seemed quite surprised when i informed him that i've never smoked, seems according to the records that i gave up in 96.

It's probably a simple mistake, but quite why is a puzzle.

Is there any way i can check the rest of my records are correct, did wonder if they've got my records mixed up with someone else...if for example i need to claim on the critical illness cover as some point (heaven forbid), would this cause a problem?
 Doctors records. - Zero
you have to pay to access them.

50 quid I think.

I had to do this for a compo claim.
 Doctors records. - Perky Penguin
Is there another Gordon Bennett on the books there? They probably won't tell you anyway (Data Protection/Patient Confidentially). There was a case a while ago which I recall where 2 patients with exactly the same names picked up each other's prescriptions and one of them died. Worth checking as best you can I'd say. No need to get your records, just get them to check; you shouldn't have to pay money to chase a mistake of theirs, if there is one.
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 20:29
 Doctors records. - Iffy
I once sat through a case of a doctor's daughter who was falsifying prescriptions to get tranquillisers for her boyfriend, and others.

She worked at her father's surgery, and used random patients' names to fill out the scripts.

Oddly enough, given gb's occupation, the matter came to light when a lorry driver's record was pulled for some reason, maybe his annual medical.

The poor man was wrongly accused of taking dozens of pills without telling the authorities.

His problem was sorted out, but the records at the surgery were a shambles.

It was accepted in court that false prescriptions would probably stay on the records of some patients for ever.

Needless to say, the doctor's daughter 'narrowly escaped a jail sentence'.

Doctors records. - Aretas
My wife has the same name as someone else at our doctor, and their birthdays are somewhat similar. After a prescription error some years ago her file now has a big flag, causing extra checks on any call/visit.
 Doctors records. - FotheringtonTomas
>> Is there any way i can check the rest of my records are correct

Next time you're at the surgery, ask to look at them - there's no reason that you can't, unless doing so would be bad for you (e.g. some sort of mental issue).
 Doctors records. - -
Thanks for the help.

Going back in a couple of weeks time for some minor surgery under local, so i'll have a chat with the nurse and see if can get a goosey and see if all looks OK.

If the notes say i'm going to peg it i'll pack work in and get back some of the thousands i've paid in over the years..;)
 Doctors records. - Zero
Can I have the Merc?
 Doctors records. - NortonES2
Were they doing a "blitz" on smokers at some stage? Probably earned a few bob for the practice nursey if they hit a certain number of "cured" punters. Cynical?
 Doctors records. - Stuartli
See:

tinyurl.com/yabnty2

tinyurl.com/63wa2s

Renal patients can access some of their records on-line:

www.renalpatientview.org/
 Doctors records. - Haywain
A good friend has just been released from hospital after an extended stay following an infection that resulted from a prostate investigation. The medical staff insisted that he was allergic to penicillin despite that fact that he kept telling them that his notes were wrong - penicillin wasn't a problem to him. The trouble was that somewhere, there was an incorrect entry that kept getting reproduced as various people got copies. The task was then to suss out the source of the error and track down all the subsequent wrong issues; who knows if they succeeded???

The other important question is, if his notes had been mixed up with someone else's, then is an allergic person somewhere being pumped up with penicillin? Let's hope that they are sufficiently compus mentis to explain that they ARE allergic.
 Doctors records. - Kevin
>is an allergic person somewhere being pumped up with penicillin?

People with pre-existing medical conditions or allergies to common drugs can join MedicAlert and wear a bracelet or dog-tag etc. with a contact number and details engraved it.

If you're unconscious, it still relies on the medics spotting it though.

I'm allergic to penicillin and the last time I needed a shot of antibiotics (after cutting myself on broken glass, to pre-empt BBD's comments) the alternative had the consistency of treacle and needed a larger needle. My ass and thigh ached for two days!

Still, it was nice being told to "drop 'em and get on the bed" by a rather attractive nurse.

Kevin...
 Doctors records. - -
{{Can I have the Merc?}}
You'll have to negotiate with SWM, should warn you she drive's a hard bargain, and takes no prisoners...no kites..;)

{{Were they doing a "blitz" on smokers at some stage?}}
Possible, but only been with this practice for about 6 years, hastily removed ourselves from one who thought SWM's pleurisy was a pulled muscle.

{{then is an allergic person somewhere being pumped up with penicillin?}}
Bad admin is bad enough when your life doesn't depend on it.

Thanks for those links Stuartli.
Latest Forum Posts