Non-motoring > Breakdown Insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 25

Breakdown Insurance - Perky Penguin
My gob has been rather heavily smacked by an invitation from *nd*s*t to buy breakdown insurance for my new washing machine for £129 for years 2 & 3. I recall paying less than £250 a year for the cover on a very expensive to fix 307 Hdi. Bearing in mind that car came with 3 year warranty anyway the quote for a £360 washing machine seems way to high and I shan't take them up on it. Put the premium in an emergency fund and hope for the best
 Breakdown Insurance - Clk Sec
I wouldn't bother, PP. In my experience they rarely go wrong before year 5.
 Breakdown Insurance - John H
>> insurance for my new washing machine for £129 for years 2 & 3. I recall

in effect, that buys cover for labour only because you can activate your free 5 year parts guarantee with them online.

Breakdown Insurance - Bromptonaut
I would generally avoid this sort of thing taking the same emergency fund line as the OP. Vacuum cleaners & tumble dryers are pretty simple pieces of kit and I've no fear of home repairs on PC's or even laptops.

The one exception however has been washing machines and dishwashers. I rarely go a year without needing a callout to one or the other and, in the case of the washing machine it was eventually replaced under a Domestic and General policy. While there is a profit element in the policy I suspect the insurer gets a much better labour rate and a better discount on parts than I will.

Happy to pay a small premium for what has always been excellent service from the local agent, usualy Ferrers Technical.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 2 Mar 11 at 13:34
 Breakdown Insurance - Zero

>> The one exception however has been washing machines and dishwashers. I rarely go a year
>> without needing a callout to one or the other and,

That is rather exceptional

30 years of dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer has seen one failure in my household.
 Breakdown Insurance - FotheringtonTomas
If it goes wrong within three years, it shouldn't have (unless perhaps you cave been cleaning bricks or heavy engine parts in it). Bother the insurance, if it breaks down and is beyond economical repair, I should wonder whether it was of satisfactory quality. So, yes, keep your £129 for anything that's easy to repair, else get out the stick.
 Breakdown Insurance - Stuartli
>>Put the premium in an emergency fund and hope for the best >>

That's been the Which? advice for a number of years as it rates extended warranties on some types of products as rarely necessary.

Experience seems to indicate that if anything is going to go wrong it will do so fairly quickly and will thus be under the original warranty.

Also worth studying the Retra website's customer rights section:

www.retra.co.uk/consumerInfo/consumer_info000.asp
 Breakdown Insurance - Perky Penguin
The machine I replaced had worked 11 years with one call out which was a quick reset of a thermal trip which had popped when the tumble drier bit failed. It failed again, not the trip, and I went on for 2 years without it. I only have room for a washer drier and it only does 2 cycles a week so it may last longer than I do! Thanks for your input which clearly points at save the money and cross your fingers!
 Breakdown Insurance - nyx2k
i bought a very cheap £200 washing machine 10yrs ago and is used to 3 loads a day everyday without fail. never gone wrong.
tumble dryer is 10 yrs old and so is dishwasher and never had a fault.
sometimes it seems the more an item is used the longer it lasts
 Breakdown Insurance - Iffy
I think hard water kills washing machines quicker than anything else.

The water supply to Iffy Towers is softish, so no breakdown insurance for me.

I had Candy for about seven years, which was secondhand when I moved in.

Paid about £200 for a basic Beko to replace the Candy a few months ago.

Provided it runs for a couple of years, it will be cheaper to buy a new one than insure or repair it.

Breakdown Insurance - CGNorwich
"I think hard water kills washing machines quicker than anything else."

Probably right. Water is very hard in these parts., The design of front loading washing machines puts a lot of strain on the bearings though. Top loading machines are popular in the US and Europe. We buy the cheapest John Lewis model (around £300) which come with a 3 year guarantee and regard it as expendable after the guarantee has expired. They usually last 6 years plus though.
 Breakdown Insurance - bathtub tom
In my experience the OP's manufacturer don't last long. I've had very short-lived washing machine and dishwasher from them. I don't touch them now.
 Breakdown Insurance - Iffy
...The design of front loading washing machines puts a lot of strain on the bearings though...

I was discussing washing machines with my GP (as one does).

Her firm and only advice was to buy a top loader for the reason CG says.

Breakdown Insurance - Alanovich
'Ceptin you can't install a top loader under a work top, which is what most people need these days in modern fitted kitchens.

Over in Serbia, most people install their wushy mashys in the bathroom. Emminently sensible if you ask me, although in apartments it's often at the cost of having a very short bath.
 Breakdown Insurance - Alanovich
I've had the opposite experience of Indesit, BT. All mine have been 100% reliable and great value too. Reluctant to touch any other brand, to be frank.
 Breakdown Insurance - Clk Sec
Their washing machines are good value for money, but I would look elsewhere for a fridge freezer.
>>but I would look elsewhere for a fridge freezer.>>

Bought a big Beko fridge-freezer (751) last year on the recommendation of two people who run independent appliances outlets - both have Beko models at home.

Proved excellent so far.
>> "I think hard water kills washing machines quicker than anything else."
>>
>> Probably right. Water is very hard in these parts., The design of front loading washing
>> machines puts a lot of strain on the bearings though. Top loading machines are popular
>> in the US and Europe. years plus though.
>> We buy the cheapest John Lewis model (around £300) which
>> come with a 3 year guarantee and regard it as expendable after the guarantee has
>> expired. They usually last 6

We have very hard water, (thames valley) and Front loading Bosch washing machines last 12 years here.
 Breakdown Insurance - Bromptonaut
Northants water leaves an ironstone coloured deposit and has been fingered by the engineer for some of our troubles. As well as the heating element it also causes problems with valves/seals.

I think we've only had three machines in 25years, all Zanussi. The first was a washer/dryer and was very prone to choking on it's accumulated fluff. The dryer module gave out long before the washer died - bearings. Subsequently we've stuck wit washer only and a separate condensor drier (no room for a vent).
We have very hard water, (thames valley)

Just checked mine on line . 339 mg/l as calcium carbonate according to Anglian Water. Classified very hard. Drinking quality excellent. Plays havoc with the kettle though!

Just checked mine again.

I was wrong, We are just Hard

255 mg/l

Breakdown Insurance - R.P.
Soft southern water that.
Pah, It says its Hard! wiv a capital aitch.
"I was wrong,"

Not again!

Thought as as East End lad you would be well hard
Hard water, at least in my area over many decades, has always proved the perfect cold drink (especially in summer) than that awful "soft" water.

Never understood why people pay massive premiums over tap water to drink it out of bottles.

Very understandable abroad but the UK water supply is generally top notch (again at least in my area).
Water quality doe vary enormously from area to area as far as drinking quality. Norwich is excellent, but when I lived in North Norfolk water was heavily chlorinated.

Chlorinated water causes a particularly nasty taste when making fresh coffee. It's also pretty horrible when added to whiskey. I used to buy bottled water for these purposes
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 3 Mar 11 at 08:59
Latest Forum Posts