Non-motoring > honda honda gxv120. what to use it for Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nyx2k Replies: 15

honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - nyx2k
honda honda gxv120. what to use it for
i just found an old but working perfectly honda gxv120 4.hp 4st engine.
drive out of the bottom and as the mower was self propelled there is also a slow drive coming out the rear.

what can i use it for, i was thinking of a project for me and the children.
maybe 12v genny or something.

Any ideas please?
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Iffy
Were I one of the children, I'd be agitating for a go-cart.

honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAlKOc9xSg
they have suggested a go kart but with the drive from the bottom it would need a diff to take drive off the motor.
not much room for a go kart and the only place i can use one is in brighton go kart track.

i like the genny idea for when i get power cuts but a new genny might be cheaper to buy but then it would be an old 2stroke and not 4st
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Fenlander
Aux motor for the boat?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=spagqB-SOJk
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Bigtee
Stick it on e bay in the Staionary engine section and sell it & then go buy a go cart & develop your own f1 champion :-)
>> Stick it on e bay in the Staionary engine section and sell it & then
>> go buy a go cart & develop your own f1 champion :-)

>> that may be the best bet- i forgot i had it and its been unused for 10yrs and today topped up the oil and it started 2nd pull.
sell it on ebay if its worth anything
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - helicopter
its been unused for 10yrs and today topped up the oil and it started 2nd pull.

Of course it did - its a Honda engine ......which is why I drive a Honda Accord....

I think the sale on ebay and buy a Go Kart is a good idea as well....

honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Haywain
Just realised that the gxv120 is the engine that I've got in my Honda HR194 mower. I bought it new in spring 1985 and it's been used every season since. I change the oil every autumn, change the plug every 10 years or so, and the coil failed once and was replaced. I fully expect it to see me out!

Have you scrapped the mower, nxy2k, you don't have any spares do you? My plastic 'tyres' are starting to split and I've lost a couple of the small black plastic 'hubcaps'.
the mower was scrapped about 10yrs ago.
it was bought in 1986 by my parents and i got it in 1999 when it had its first new oil change and a new plug and a few yrs later it was dropped from the back of a pick up and all was bent and broken but the engine was untouched.
works very well but prob no need for it so may sell it if its worth anything but it will prob go back in storage or to the tip maybe
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Haywain
Oh dear! A sad end for a splendid mower. The engine on mine (touch wood) seems to be fine apart from a few puffs of smoke when I start it - it always starts on first pull of the cord.

I know it's a bit sad, but I always change the oil every autumn after the last cut. When the mower was new, I told the engineer at work that considering the hours that the mower was used for every summer, I would only have to change the oil every 3 years or so. He took a dim view of my meanness and informed me that oil deteriorated with time and that I should change it EVERY year - it's only 0.6litres after all! I took him at his word, and the mower is still going strong.
i was going to make a 12v genny to run an invertor for when we get power cuts which is sometimes 3 times a year when goodwood or rolls do something to the grid and it all goes down but i could just get an invertor for the car and get power for the freezer and a few lights from the car
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Harleyman
In my experience, not worth the hassle.

When I first lived in West Wales, back in the early 90's, power cuts were an occupational hazard in winter, so when I moved back in 2003, I bought a 2.8KV genny at a show; Chinese job, £110 with a free sack trolley thrown in .

The sack trolley gets used weekly; the genny has been used three times, never for longer than an hour. Two of those were when I had the power off myself during re-wiring, and even that wasn't essential. Most modern freezers will be OK for 12 hours if left shut, and kept well stocked, and you soon get sick of the racket from the generator.
ive found an old 6hp outboard leg so could bolt it together but with no machining facilities it cant join the shaft and leg securely.
think i'll put in on freecycle/freegle for someone else to play with
 honda honda gxv120. what to use it for - Zero
>> something to the grid and it all goes down but i could just get an
>> invertor for the car and get power for the freezer and a few lights from
>> the car

I doubt you will, 12v to 230 volt inverters are not efficient and a small freezer pulls 10 amps at compressor start. You'll need a 1kw inverter and that will haul 20 amps out of your car battery

A someone said, A modern freezer will keep food frozen for 24 hours if you keep the door shut.
If your power cut is longer than that you will need a genny,
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Mar 11 at 14:00
the cuts are normally 3-5hrs and have always been caused by goodwood or rolls royce.
last year there was a load bang and flash of light from towards goodwood house , the next day they admitted workmen were laying bigger cables but got something very wrong.
at least we gott more revival tickets free
Latest Forum Posts