Non-motoring > How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 19

How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Falkirk Bairn
A friend of a friend works for a large employer, business is good but in January the annual bonus was cut to little and zero was the going pay rise - this on the back of the company making manymore £££s than the last few years.

It appears many got their CV out and started to hit known Agencies looking for interest . 6 weeks later people were called in and handed pay rises on the 5-10% levels...........

The Job Agency flourish of activity must have spooked the bean counters.

How did you last get an unusual pay rise?
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Fursty Ferret
Well, in the rail industry, if you're not happy with 12% it appears the best solution is to go on strike.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12587093

Useless, lazy, good-for-nothing layabout slackers. Learn everything you need to know on a three day course and then spend your working day running late, drinking tea, and driving in a straight line. As you may have guessed, I have not been given a pay rise in my job this year; nor has anyone else.
Last edited by: Alfa Floor on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 11:30
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Zero
My pension is index linked.
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Bigtee
Sleep with your boss always works. Guaranteed pay rise or sacked................:-)

Well, in the rail industry, if you're not happy with 12% it appears the best solution is to go on strike.

Don't think everyone here on the railways gets 12% was 3.7 last year and no complaints, This year it's stirring now should know something within the next 2x months.
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Aretas
Around 1987 I had a 13 year old Avenger. Rear door had been replaced and hand-painted in an almost matching colour and wheel arches were rusty and perforated. My car was usually parked near the building main entrance. Out of the blue I was given a company car - a good perk in those days.
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Fursty Ferret
>> My pension is index linked.
>>

Yes, but the whole problem with a pension is that you only get it when you're old and infirm (or becoming that way).
Yes but you can be miserable and rude and insult everyone, and its accepted due to your age.
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - RattleandSmoke
It depends on the sector, if you are hard to replace then you might get a pay rise if you kick off. If you're just a ten a penny 300 people ready to take your job oink like most of us (including me) you have no chance.

How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - AnotherJohnH
>> Yes but you can be miserable and rude and insult everyone, and its accepted due to your age.

accepted?
You get away with it! ;)
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 13:12
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Old Navy
>> My pension is index linked.
>>

Snap!
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - DP
The last unusual circumstance was an offer I actually turned down.

I'd been training on the job, and accepted a lower salary than the going rate. After 2 yrs of this, and having got myself to a point where I was covering the same workload and the same range of jobs as my colleagues, and with two years of excellent appraisals behind me, I asked for a raise. To cut a very long story short, l was given the runaround, and all manner of excuses for the next 9 months. I grew tired of it, and started looking elsewhere.

I eventually accepted a role with another company and handed in my notice to my line manager. Within 20 minutes, I was summoned to the MD's office, who immediately offered 15% more than I'd been asking him for, for the past 9 months.

Far from being pleased, I found it deeply insulting. I didn't lose my temper, but politely declined and made the move. Can't say I have ever regretted it.

Last edited by: DP on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 13:54
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Perky Penguin
Yes but to what index?
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - hobby
>> Well, in the rail industry, if you're not happy with 12% it appears the best
>> solution is to go on strike.
>> Useless, lazy, good-for-nothing layabout slackers. Learn everything you need to know on a three day
>> course and then spend your working day running late, drinking tea, and driving in a
>> straight line.

Mmm, someone who has no idea what is involved in a Train Drivers' job... For the record they train for 12 months, responisble for the safety up to 600 people, work some awful shifts... Its a crap job at times, but well paid... But I'd agree that they are overpaid, and some even agree...

But on the Railway they are "God", the system stops without them... They'll probably get what they want from the "pay pot" which will then mean less for the likes of BigTee and I who aren't drivers...
Last edited by: hobby on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 14:23
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Bigtee
But on the Railway they are "God", the system stops without them... They'll probably get what they want from the "pay pot" which will then mean less for the likes of BigTee and I who aren't drivers...

We can't run without them and they do get what they want but then so do the rest of us, So up here there on £40k+ over time.

East coast & Grand Central on more.!!

It's crap hours on the railways deffo not a 9-5 job and weekends working & nights & bank holidays all to serve you nice people. :-)
A bit like the NHS then but they get no overtime!
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Dieselboy
>>A bit like the NHS then but they get no overtime!

Not strictly true. The Ambulance Service gets overtime at 1.5 base pay for any hours over 37.5 a week. Currently up in the North West there is no shortage of overtime being offered to cover core shifts.

I had a similar experience to the OP back in my finance days around 1999, working for an American based credit card company with their UK base in the North West. A number of us were called in to the CEO's office, one by one, and offered (in my case) a moral boosting speech, a payrise of 30%, and a request not to discuss it with anyone else. All because a number of key employees in our area had defected to another finance operation in the same area.
Lucky them and doubtless well deserved! Not many others do SFAIK. I got time off in lieu (TOIL) I'd rather have had time and a half!
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Falkirk Bairn

>>
>> I had a similar experience to the OP back in my finance days around 1999,
>> working for an American based credit card company with their UK base in the North
>> West. A number of us were called in to the CEO's office, one by one,
>> and offered (in my case) a moral boosting speech, a payrise of 30%, and a
>> request not to discuss it with anyone else. All because a number of key employees
>> in our area had defected to another finance operation in the same area.
>>

Did they later give everyone the heave ho and move to India?
 How to get a pay rise in these tricky times? - Dieselboy
They did a bit of outsourcing to India, yes. Not the department I worked for though.
Latest Forum Posts