Non-motoring > Honda Lawnmower Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 17

Honda Lawnmower - Robbie34
There were a number of posts about Honda lawnmowers last year sometime, and despite a forum search I have drawn a blank. I need a new mower and I'm looking for a self propelled model at the best price.

Can anyone point me to the posts about Honda mowers, please.
 Honda Lawnmower - R.P.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=545&v=f
 Honda Lawnmower - Falkirk Bairn
Powered Hondas are nice but have you seen the prices for powered, reasonably wide lawnmower?

Other makes in the £200-£400 bracket.

I am looking just now as since my operation I need a powered machine - the existing push model is a Flymo 17" B&S machine I bought for £120 @ a Homebase September clearout 2 years ago and is perfect but for the pushing around about 1/10 acre!
 Honda Lawnmower - Fullchat
Hayter are not a bad choice. But quality self propelled mowers aint cheap.
 Honda Lawnmower - Robbie34
Thanks for that PU. Just the thread I was looking for. I tried umpteen times on the forum search but it never brought up anything.

Anyhow, I have had a few Mountfield mowers that have been troublesome. The latest is only four years old and the clutch seenms to have given up the ghost, so no drive. I'm fed up with the thing, and previous ones, so I'm going for a Honda.
 Honda Lawnmower - Hard Cheese

My 11 year old Honda cost £280 new and has been totally reliable but for needing one new spark plug. It started yesterday 3rd pull after a winter in the shed and ran perfectly while chomping through up to 4" of grass on 18 month old u/l syphoned from the Kawasaki.

It is self propelled and has the neat OHC 4.5hp GCV135 motor, totally variable throttle, it was a budget model, the recent equivilents are the Izzy models.

It has a steel deck for which I bought a spare a few years ago (£60 IIRC) though while it is showing signs of corrosion the original is still very good condition.
 Honda Lawnmower - Manatee
>> Anyhow, I have had a few Mountfield mowers that have been troublesome. The latest is
>> only four years old and the clutch seenms to have given up the ghost, so
>> no drive. I'm fed up with the thing, and previous ones, so I'm going for
>> a Honda.

Clutch? What clutch? Sounds like the belt's come off. I inherited a Mountfield Emperor (then about £800, 10 years ago) that the previous owner had been pushing for years. All it needed was the belt, which he had in the shed! Couldn't work out how to get it on. Had to de-mount the engine IIRC.
 Honda Lawnmower - corax
>> Hayter are not a bad choice.

We have Hayter self propelled mowers at work. Three things I don't like :

1. The self propelling mechanism goes out of adjustment quickly which means you end up pushing it more than you want - it then needs the cable adjusting, but soon gets bad again - the mechanism also picks up lots of grass debris which has the same affect of slowing it down and needs cleaning out.

2. The Briggs and Stratton engines can be a bit and miss in terms of starting - they can be OK when cold, but are a pig when warm, and it has a long throw pull to start which doesn't help your back or shoulder.

3. The box is fiddly to remove and replace, not pleasant when you're cutting a big area that needs boxing off.

I think they're overpriced (£800+) considering the number of niggles. I haven't used a self propelled rotary Honda, but I use the fine turf cylinder ones amongst other Honda powered machinery, and the engines are superb.

Last edited by: corax on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 12:19
 Honda Lawnmower - -
Ransomes still about?, my father used to cut the neatest arrow straight rows on huge lawns, sat on the towed trailer behind the 48" i think cutter.

Don't suppose they were cheap back in the 60's either.

Mate of mine did jobbing gardening as a wage top up a few years ago, made a huge difference to his work once he invested in a Honda, the competition in that budget were also rans.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 12:24
 Honda Lawnmower - corax
>> Ransomes still about?

They certainly are, and good machines as well. They tend to think more of the operator whether they're hand mowers or ride-ons. John Deere stuff is really durable but not as comfortable to use. Ransomes have big organ style pedals and air seats - makes all the difference on a bumpy old pitch and putt which used to be a rubbish dump, especially when you ride over an old brick resting just under the surface!

How's your LPG conversion going GB?
 Honda Lawnmower - Tigger
>> Ransomes still about?

My first employer! The Ransomes, Sims and Jeffries factory site is now an industrial estate. The company accepted a take-over offer from Textron Inc., USA, and their independent existence ended early in 1998.
 Honda Lawnmower - Falkirk Bairn
There are 100% Honda mowers and "hybrid mowers" made by other companies using Honda engine - might be worth a look.

Downside to Honda mowers are they are often French manufacture, not prejudiced but.........
 Honda Lawnmower - Fenlander
>>>Downside to Honda mowers are they are often French manufacture, not prejudiced but.........

Ha ha.... my last (small by modern standards) John Deere tractor had a 4lit 4cyl diesel... 25yrs of work on the farm and it was as good as new... engine made in France so I expected nothing less.
 Honda Lawnmower - Tooslow
I thought that the French & the Scots traditionally "got on"? Something to do with a common "enemy"?

John
 Honda Lawnmower - tyro
Two more threads which tell something of the story of how I bought a Honda mower last year:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2626

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2745
 Honda Lawnmower - Zero
Just given the royal gardens of Zero Palace the first cut of the year.

I never know, for the first one of the year, to give it a scalping or just a gentle trim. It got a gentle trim.
 Honda Lawnmower - corax
>> I never know, for the first one of the year, to give it a scalping
>> or just a gentle trim. It got a gentle trim.

You did right Z. As always.
 Honda Lawnmower - Haywain
I know about Honda mowers - or at least, I know about the one Honda mower that has served me faithfully since May 1985. It's a HR194, self-propelled rotary with a 19" cut. At the time, it was £315 and I suspect its equivalent is now around £1000 - mind you, I don't expect that I will have to buy another one; I'm 61 now.

This one has an alloy deck, though later ones have some sort of plastic deck; I didn't think much to this idea, though I'm told that the plastic is fine. The only maintenance that mine gets is an annual oil change, a new plug every 7 or 8 years and the coil failed and was replaced about 8 years ago. I put a new blade on it 3 years ago. Shortly after buying mine, I recommended Honda to a couple of friends and both say that they are the best mowers that they've ever bought; one of these chaps in particular, is a mechanical menace, and the Honda has even survived his abuse.

At the time that I took mine in for coil replacement, I asked about the new budget 'Izy' range that had just been introduced. The chap said that they'd had a lot back for repair because, being made down to a price, the joint at the handle/body union wasn't strong enough. I'd hope that problem has been sorted out by now.
Latest Forum Posts