Non-motoring > Flexible wall/wood filler Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bottomlesspit Replies: 8

Flexible wall/wood filler - bottomlesspit
Hi All,

I admitted to having some time off from work as I have unused leave, and of course any idea of relaxation is long gone! The wonderfull wife has compiled a list of DIY.

I need to effectively skim a wall where I have had to box in some pipework so as make the join as invisible as possible. Although many fillers claim to be flexible, I have always found they will crack.

Can anyone recommend a particular type as it will need to be just a light skim in places ?

Ta
 Flexible wall/wood filler - Fenlander
Join between what and what I wonder. Over the several years of our complete house restoration I've been buying the basic Wickes filler in bulk packs (about £13 a bag) so it works out at £1/kilo. It's never had a cracking problem..... except...

Usually cracking in normal filler is due to movement of two different materials/surfaces... might another product or way of doing the job suit your need?
 Flexible wall/wood filler - Zero
Are you really skimming the wall, or just filling the gap between the wood box and the wall?

If its the later, then use frame sealant (none silicon type).
 Flexible wall/wood filler - FotheringtonTomas
If the joint can't move, it doesn't very much matter what you use. "Polyfilla" or anything would do.
 Flexible wall/wood filler - Dulwich Estate
If it's the gap between the ever flexible wooden box-out and the pretty rigid plaster wall or even gaps between wooden sections, then I'd use decorators' caulk which can be called flexible filler. It comes in a mastic type tube and is applied the same way. It's water soluble and develops a skin in less than an hour. It's much easier to use and clean up than any silicon material.

My method is to stick it on the end of my finger, rub it into place and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 12:17
 Flexible wall/wood filler - bottomlesspit
Hi All

It will be used for the join and to also level out and difference where the two meet to makle it all as fulsh as poss..

Where the box section joins the wall, I screwed it together but also used gripfix, so this should not move under normal use.
 Flexible wall/wood filler - Zero
>> If it's the gap between the ever flexible wooden box-out and the pretty rigid plaster
>> wall or even gaps between wooden sections, then I'd use decorators' caulk which can be
>> called flexible filler. It comes in a mastic type tube and is applied the same
>> way. It's water soluble and develops a skin in less than an hour. It's much
>> easier to use and clean up than any silicon material.
>>
>> My method is to stick it on the end of my finger, rub it into
>> place and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth.

Yeah that's the stuff I was referring to.
 Flexible wall/wood filler - VxFan
>> then I'd use decorators' caulk which can be called flexible filler.

Can also be called painters mate.
 Flexible wall/wood filler - Mapmaker
No that a builder needs my approval, but yes, decorator's caulk is what you need. Don't buy it too cheap, it runs like water. Proper branded is what you need IMO.
Latest Forum Posts