Non-motoring > Who is this band? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 34

Who is this band? - RattleandSmoke
I have seen so many bands from the late punk era and I was sorting out all my picutres I have taken in gigs but I have no idea who this?

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020878.jpg

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/P1020891.jpg

Pretty sure it must be a 70's punk band, the guy on the left has a bit of a look of Pete Shelly but the rest don't look anything like the Buzzcocks.

This has been driving me mad.
 Who is this band? - Focusless
They look a bit too old and smart to be punks!
 Who is this band? - devonite
is it not Ian Brodie and the Lightning Seeds?
 Who is this band? - R.P.
I've e-mailed them to a pal - if he don't know no-one will...
I did think it was the dammned at a more dedate gig the lead singer does have a look of Dave Valient but captain sensible is clearly missing from the line up.

Some of the old punk bands do dress quite smart.

I don't think it is an indie band, I think it is punk or post punk.

Around 2005-2008 I was seeing about three bands every month but is a rare pleasure now.
 Who is this band? - R.P.
Wedding Present is his opinion David Gedge ?
Don't remember ever seeing them and just checked images of them on google and they all look a bit younger than the ones in this band.

I can post it on Facebook but if it does turn out to be a punk band then my creditability will be instantly wiped out :p.

It is probably some obscure band but the venue is quite big (capacity of 500) so it must be a half well known band.
 Who is this band? - spamcan61
>>
>> It is probably some obscure band but the venue is quite big (capacity of 500)
>> so it must be a half well known band.
>>
Ah, a man after my own heart, I always considered that size a big venue.
In terms of Manchester it seems to work like this:-

Accademy 1 - 3000, bands which are becoming big e.g Killers circa 2005.
Accademy 2 - 1000, bands such as the Buzzcocks who can still sell out tours but with small venues.
Accademy 3 - 500, bands nobody knows but have a loyal following e.g Goldblade.

Clubs - 250 - 1000, popular with emerging bands especialy if its an usual genre.
Apollo - 5000 - Bands such as Blondie who cannot sell out the Area.
MEN 20,000 - Very big bands such as Guns and Roses and Morrissey
Manchester city 60,000 - Take That, Oasis etc.

I prefer the smaller venues myself.
>> Wedding Present is his opinion David Gedge ?
>>

Sounds plausible, singer does look a fair bit like Dave Gedge, not at all sure about the rest of the band though. Looked a bit different when I last saw them in '86 - but then so did I ;-)
>> >> Wedding Present is his opinion David Gedge ?
>>
>> Sounds plausible, singer does look a fair bit like Dave Gedge, not at all sure
>> about the rest of the band though. Looked a bit different when I last saw
>> them in '86 - but then so did I ;-)

I saw them about then too, at Leeds Uni; bit of a home gig of course as Gedge used to lecture at the poly over the road. Only recently sold the t-shirt on ebay :(

Yep, I looked on google images as well but couldn't match the other members of the band.

>>
>> I saw them about then too, at Leeds Uni; bit of a home gig of
>> course as Gedge used to lecture at the poly over the road. Only recently sold
>> the t-shirt on ebay :(
>>
I'm struggling to recall where I saw them, almost certainly some London student venue; but it wasn't the ULU SU bar, which was my normal hang-out for the non NWOBHM or prog gigs I went to. The Mighty Lemon Drops were supporting, or possibly vice-versa.

Did wonder about The Skids, but they don't look a good match either.
Ah, their official web site has a gig list going back to 1985; looks like I saw them on 7/2/86 or 5/11/86 at Queen Mary College.

Ah well, back to trawling the Wikipedia post punk list :-)
>> Ah, their official web site has a gig list going back to 1985; looks like
>> I saw them on 7/2/86 or 5/11/86 at Queen Mary College.

Good find! My gig must have been 4/2/86 (Leeds Uni); sister came over from Hull for it.
They look like accountants on dress down Friday (no disrespect meant to accountants or aging post punk bands).

When was the photo taken?

My first guess was Stiff Little Fingers but Google Images says no.
I thought about the fingers too but I have seen before and I am pretty sure its not them. I still do wonder if it is the dammned and for some reason camptain sensible wasn't able to make it?

The singer does have a bit of a look of Dave Valient but I always remember him dressing up a lot more when I have seen them live.

I thought the other guy on left has a bit of a look of Pete Shelly.

It was taken in 2008 :).
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 17:55
The Undertones ? - without Fergal
>> It was taken in 2008 :).

Well that explains the age/appearance then :)
Wikipedia has a list of alleged post-punk and sort of post punk bands that might jog the memory Rattle:-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_bands
Thanks that worked :D

It is the Dead Kennedy's.

I feel quite stupid now.

My mind was just blank.
The band isn't actually listed there but the word Dead jogged my memory.
>>
>> It is the Dead Kennedys.
>>
LOL, image doesn't really match the name any more does it. Still, if it was an enjoyable gig who cares.
I can't remember anything about it be honest but I saw so many bands round that time. The Sex Pistols one in Brixton stands out as one of the worse gigs I have ever been to but I think that was partly my fault for getting too hyped up about it.

Will be seeing all old punk bands again in August.
>> I can't remember anything about it be honest but I saw so many bands round
>> that time.

Sounds like me 1982 - 1986, upwards of 200 gigs a year. There are aspects of your lifestyle as recorded on here that are rather similar to mine. ;-)
The difference is apart from the Ska bands a lot of the bands I have seen were at least 30 years old when I saw them.

The first band I ever saw was actually Blondie. Then we all got excited about seeing the Ramones but they all died one by one so never got to see them.

Just saving myself to the punk festival in Blackpool now.

I do like a lot of current bands too but best bands will always be in the past, because we have had 60 years of rock and roll to make them.
>> The difference is apart from the Ska bands a lot of the bands I have
>> seen were at least 30 years old when I saw them.
>>
True, many of the bands I saw were fairly new i.e. only been going for 3 years or less. Surprisingly, given their lack of commercial success, several are still going now, or at least on MySpace.

>>
>> I do like a lot of current bands too but best bands will always be
>> in the past, because we have had 60 years of rock and roll to make
>> them.
>>
Yeah, but unless the DeLorean is up and running you can't go and see them.

It is fair to say there were many bands I saw who were really great live, but I wouldn't buy their records (particularly NWOBHM and Goth), and a few vice-versa.
The Zutons was one such band, I am not really a fan of their records but live they are probably one of the best bands I have ever seen and will see them again.

I am lucky living in Manchester because in terms of punk and altnerative music is one of the most visited cities in the worl.

The problem I have punk now is I have got a bit bored of it which is why I have been getting back into indie, ska and metal.

Who is this band? - Fenlander
>>>The Zutons

I'd go and see them is they passed by here.... can't beat a bit of skinny sax.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 20:54
>>
>> I'd go and see them is they passed by here.... can't beat a bit of
>> skinny sax.
>>
That's what I was thinking ;-)
>>
>> I am lucky living in Manchester because in terms of punk and altnerative music is
>> one of the most visited cities in the worl.
>>
Luton wasn't exactly the epicentre of the music scene in the 80s (UK Decay or Paul Young anyone?), but then it was only an hour's drive to central London; or we'd go 100 miles plus in the evening to see a band somewhere, Norwich or Bristol for example. 3 or 4 nights a week. I'd be a living wreck within days if I did that now.

Who is this band? - ....
8th to 10th July Knebworth - Sonisphere.
The Big 4 are coming to town. This could be your summer Rattle :-)
I first saw Metallica at the Mayfair in Newcastle September 1986. Anthrax were their support band that night.
I only saw them once, Castle Donnington 1985; the only thing I can recall about the entire day is falling asleep during the ZZ Top set, and waking up when a piece of breaded cod landed on me - better than a plastic bottle of wee I suppose. happy days ;-)
 Who is this band? - R.P.
I misread that a "Bearded Cod" !
>> I misread that a "Bearded Cod" !
>>
It was probably battered anyway thinking about it, I was took drunk to tell anyway.

Funnily enough bearded cod do exist!

www.flickr.com/photos/puffinbytes/4608221914/
 Who is this band? - ....
>> I misread that a "Bearded Cod" !

If Rattle plays his cards right...

Big festivals just got me set for going to Le Mans, the 'Ring etc... later on. Doesn't matter what the draw is, enjoy it. There have got to be some perks for working.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 10 Mar 11 at 22:12
Latest Forum Posts