Non-motoring > and us on diets Miscellaneous
Thread Author: - Replies: 36

and us on diets - -
www.aquarterof.co.uk/index.php
 and us on diets - Dog
I used to like them white milk bottles, blackjacks, mojo's, flying saucers, bonbons, the pink shrimp things, fruit salad,

No wonder I aint got any teef in me ed!
 and us on diets - -
Not many i didn't like but milk gums oh yes, and i found a modern equivalent t'other day in a little newsagents at Loughton...yummy, bought 2 packs and scoffed the lot.

The things i really miss are proper Wagon Wheels in the open sleeve wrapper, half as big again as the current ones and scrummy.
 and us on diets - henry k
But we have to import from the othe rside of the world.
www.lakeland.co.uk/liquorice,-australian-soft-eating/F/product/12982_12983
The only problem is that if you do not pace yourself then you finish up running :-(
 and us on diets - Clk Sec
Sainsbury's sell a nice soft eating liquorice by Australia's Darrell Lea.
 and us on diets - Armel Coussine
A chocolate bar I used to like as a small child and that is still made: Fry's Chocolate Cream. I get it for my grandchildren and make them give me some.
 and us on diets - devonite
what were those "Woody" sticks you used to chew just for the juice?
Sugar cane probably.
 and us on diets - NortonES2
Liquorice sticks? Sugar cane is somewhat larger diameter.
 and us on diets - henry k
>> what were those "Woody" sticks you used to chew just for the juice?
>>
"Spanish wood ?

Another old favourite
www.shopping.com/4-Boxes-Horlicks-Tablets/mr2kzO-uaKZkTAsoinV8mg==/info
at what price ???
 and us on diets - Zero

>> Another old favourite
>> www.shopping.com/4-Boxes-Horlicks-Tablets/mr2kzO-uaKZkTAsoinV8mg==/info
>> at what price ???

Good lord, remember those - that's child abuse at its worse. Disgusting things.
 and us on diets - Bromptonaut
>> >> what were those "Woody" sticks you used to chew just for the juice?
>> >>
>> "Spanish wood ?

My father, Rochdale born and bred, always called licquorice 'spanish'.
 and us on diets - Manatee
>> what were those "Woody" sticks you used to chew just for the juice?
>>

Licorice root, or Chinese licorice.
 and us on diets - Dog
Liquorice has many uses, including medicinal ~en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice#Use_in_medicine
 and us on diets - Roger.
Chupa Chups get my vote.
 and us on diets - Manatee
>> Chupa Chups get my vote.
>>

Wrapper designed by Salvador Dali. So works of art as well.
 and us on diets - Bigtee
Double Decker & Mars Bar dunked in a coffee O YES.!!

Black jacks and fruit salads and those sherbet dips with that bananna lolly thing, and those crystal things that went all fizzy in your mouth what was they?

Nouget pulled out my fillings as a kid & bring back the penny chew!!
 and us on diets - VxFan
>> and those crystal things that went all fizzy in your mouth what was they?

Space dust popping candy.

tinyurl.com/6dakhdt

Terry's Chocolate Orange make one that contains popping candy, but normally only appears during the festive season.
 and us on diets - Iffy
My memory of liquorice is of novelty pieces in a greaseproof paper lined box behind the glass display in a sweetshop.

You could buy a pipe, with red hundreds and thousands to signify the burning tobacco, a ribbon, a plait, tube, and other shapes I can't recall.

No doubt it wasn't the proper stuff, but I liked it.

and us on diets - helicopter
I too have ruined teeth due to too many sweets - I can remember when they came off ration. I used to spend ages deciding how I would spend my pocket money.

I am a 'sucker ' ( geddit ) for mint imperials but they have to melt into the powdery middle , not stay hard all through . I always take a packet of these ( M & S do nice ones ) on holiday or when I am driving long distances to help me concentrate.

I also like Clarnico peppermint creams and rhubarb and custard flavour boiled sweets whilst SWMBO has a stash of Fruit Salads in her car which I occasionally nick ...she thinks I don't know about them.

We have a new 'olde worlde' sweet shop opened up locally and they were doing a roaring trade when I went past the other day, handing out sweets to passers by to try was a good ploy to get the older generation in to buy the sweets from their childhood. .

The place to go to hark back to childhood is Beamish Museum in Durham where they actually make the sweets for their own shop and you are able to watch ( and sample) .
Last edited by: retpocileh on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 15:43
 and us on diets - Alanovich
When I was a child, my Dad worked in a chocolate factory. The dining room cupboard was always stuffed with free/cheap sweeties from his work.

I always had a very savoury as opposed to sweet tooth even then, and I would barely take one sweet per week. Other children despaired at my good fortune and total lack of interest in it. Pocket money always went on comics and crisps. Chocolate Easter eggs bought for me by well meaning relatives often sat around and went out of date, ending up in the dustbin.

So I really have no abiding memory of sweeties from childhood, which must be pretty rare. Although I did always enjoy a sherbert lemon when the oppotunity arose, I liked the bitterness.
 and us on diets - Zero
Nicole spent a while as a Cadbury rep.

We always had a good stock of stuff.

She told them to stuff the job when they wanted her to wear a red and yellow jacket with chicken wings on it come cream egg season...

Yes dave, I know it turns you on and you would.
There were a couple of shelf stackers in Sainsbury's the other day (or was it Tesco?) dressed in blue, yellow and white costumes somewhere between Batman and Spiderman...

Naturally I pretended not to notice. People here may find it hard to believe but I am a polite person as a rule.
 and us on diets - DP
>> Nicole spent a while as a Cadbury rep.
>>
>> We always had a good stock of stuff.

I was involved in a fairly lengthy IT related project at Cadbury around 2005. The lovely people at the Keynsham site (RIP) were happy to let us into their staff shop on a couple of occasions, and I took full advantage. I distinctly remember walking out of there with a standard sized carrier bag rammed to bursting with all manner of loveliness, and it cost me about a fiver.
Nicole spent a while as a Cadbury rep.
>>

Did she use to let you play with her Curly Wurlys Zeddo.............. :0)
 and us on diets - nyx2k
my brothers partner works for swepps(sp) and we get lots of lovely drinks and pops for the children
 and us on diets - Zero
>> Nicole spent a while as a Cadbury rep.
>> >>
>>
>> Did she use to let you play with her Curly Wurlys Zeddo.............. :0)

No but she's clearly had lessons from the flake girl :0>
 and us on diets - Old Navy
Mars Bar deep fried in batter.

(Done as an experiment in a works canteen, sliced and shared).

Never again!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 17:29
 and us on diets - tyro
Going back and eating the confectionery of one's childhood is a fascinating experiment.

Despite the fact that a) I don't have a very sweet tooth these days, and b) when I do eat chocolate now, I prefer Lindt, something I never had as a kid - some of my favourites of 40 years ago are still surprisingly good today. Two that come to mind are Picnic and Caramac. I tend to eat a bar every few years.

In a way, it's quite surprising that they are still around; so many of the sweeties of yesteryear seem to have disappeared.

and us on diets - Zero
The Milky Bar kid may be a doddery blind old fool now, but his bar still tastes the part.
This thread reminded me of this song by Richard Digance who I have seen live on many occasions .....

See how many items you can remember....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTXCLfWDaA
 and us on diets - -
Not so sure that Milky Bar is anywhere near as good as it was back in the day, though rose tint nostalgia specs may be an issue.

Similarly someone bought me a Fry's Easter egg a lifetime ago and i've never tasted a piece of chocolate as good since, i'm quite sure that was the genuine thing before Cadbury became a shadow of it's former self...nowhere near as enjoyable as even 15 years ago, too Yorkiefied now if that makes sense.

Not a sweet but i still miss McVities Royal Scot biscuits.
 and us on diets - Zero
"back in the day"?

OMG the resident modern language haters will be on your case!

and us on diets - Cliff Pope
Where has coconut ice gone? I blame global warming.
 and us on diets - Clk Sec
>>Where has coconut ice gone?

Now, that was a treat.
 and us on diets - swiss tony
>> Where has coconut ice gone? I blame global warming.
>>
www.aquarterof.co.uk/coconut-ice-p-1287.html

MMMMmmmmmmmmm!
 and us on diets - Bromptonaut
Kop Kops or Yorkshire's own Bottomley's Mint Rock.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 13:13
Latest Forum Posts