Non-motoring > Twitter Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 27

Twitter - Stuu
Any users here? Anyone follow anyone, if so, who?

I heard a few news pieces about it today, wondered if this supposed communications revolution had reached this far :-)

Im not a user btw, I find the whole concept more than I have time for!
 Twitter - Roger.
Twitter is for twits, not tweeters!
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 21 Mar 11 at 22:13
 Twitter - Crankcase
I had a Twitter account for a while on which I put "news headlines", which were a series of terrible topical jokes. Amused myself greatly, although nobody else of course. I got nine followers at one point, although then discovered at least five of them were machines. Never found any other use for it, and abandoned it out of boredom after a bit. The account is probably still there for all I know. Does that help?
 Twitter - Bromptonaut
Registered a couple of weeks ago as it seemed only way to get a narrative on registrations for the L2B bike ride. Bromptonaut on Twitter is not me; name already taken. Had to adopt an alter ego based on my outdoor gear - Rohan man or some such
 Twitter - Dave_
i follow @m1updates, immediate notifications of traffic headlines from the Highways Agency website. i believe they have similar Twitter accounts for all the motorways. @thekeithchegwin is very good for corny one-liners, although he has been accused of plagiarising other comedians without crediting them in the past. @MGmotor use tweets to announce developments, and @sniffpetrol alerts followers when the newsletter is updated (although their site doesn't work on my phone).

A couple of my colleagues are avid tweeters, so it's handy for a chat seeing as we're never in the same place at the same time.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 00:09
 Twitter - MD
There aren't enough hours to work eat and sleep let alone be a twit!
 Twitter - Mike Hannon
>>@MGmotor use tweets to announce developments<<

Must be pretty quiet there then...
 Twitter - Dave_
>> Must be pretty quiet there then

The first few MG6 cars have been shipped out of Longbridge to dealers for test drives:

on.fb.me/fCQ8yQ
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Tue 22 Mar 11 at 10:56
 Twitter - Snakey
I registered a while back as it was the only realistic way to get a reponse from T Mobile's customer support!

Otherwise I never use it, compared to facebook it seems rather pointless.
 Twitter - Fenlander
I don't have Twitter but look in most mornings at a couple of music artists I like to see what they've been up to... talking about the smaller artists who post their own messages and pics.

I struggle to see its use for the normal working family man or woman.
 Twitter - Mike Hannon
So, according to the link above, anyone over 25 with a driving licence can be a VIP.
 Twitter - mikeyb
I use it. I folloe Stephen Fry who is fun. Also follow mad Ling from Lings Cars who is often picking fights
 Twitter - Zero
>> Also follow mad Ling from
>> Lings Cars who is often picking fights

Not surprised there, she was scrapping miliseconds after appearing on here.
 Twitter - mikeyb
>> >> Also follow mad Ling from
>> >> Lings Cars who is often picking fights
>>
>> Not surprised there, she was scrapping miliseconds after appearing on here.
>>

Often dont agree with her point of view, but she is entertaining if nothing else.
 Twitter - Iffy
...Often dont agree with her point of view, but she is entertaining if nothing else...

Post a link then, for us twitter twits who don't understand what it is, let alone how to use it.

Twitter - Dave
Don't know what it is.
Don't know what it's used for.
Don't know where to find it.
Don't want anything to do with it!
 Twitter - Zero
Twitter is a website, owned and operated by Twitter Inc., which offers a social networking and microblogging service, enabling its users to send and read messages called tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the user's profile page. Tweets are publicly visible by default; however, senders can restrict message delivery to just their followers. Users may subscribe to other users' tweets – this is known as following and subscribers are known as followers[8] or tweeps[9] (Twitter + peeps).
All users can send and receive tweets via the Twitter website, compatible external applications (such as for smartphones), or by Short Message Service (SMS) available in certain countries.[10] While the service is free, accessing it through SMS may incur phone service provider fees. The website is based in San Francisco, California. Twitter also has servers and offices in San Antonio, Texas; and Boston, Massachusetts. Twitter, Inc. was originally incorporated in California, but as of 2007 is incorporated in the jurisdiction of Delaware.[11]
Since its creation, in March 2006, and its launch in July 2006, by Jack Dorsey, Twitter has gained popularity worldwide and is estimated to have 190 million users, generating 65 million tweets a day and handling over 800,000 search queries per day.[clarification needed][12] It is sometimes described as the "SMS of the Internet".[13]

Shamelessly plagiarised from Wikipedia.
 Twitter - Dave
Thanks Zero.

I'm now bemused, but even less interested than I was before.

Twitter - Zero
Yeah, the question "why would you bother" is the one that strikes first.
 Twitter - R.P.
I didn't as soon as I heard that Stephen Fry was besotted with it.
 Twitter - Alanovich
>> Yeah, the question "why would you bother" is the one that strikes first.
>>

I find it useful when arranging impromptu social events with friends - it's far easier than trying to text/call/email everyone and it means everyone's response visible to everyone else in the group.

There's also some quite amusing things to follow, like Viz Top Tips (@TwopTwips) if you like that kind of thing. Often brigtens up an otherwise difficult day for me.
 Twitter - John H
>> Yeah, the question "why would you bother" is the one that strikes first.
>>

In early 2010, I used to follow F1 on twitter by watching Clare Williams' (Frank's daughter) page. Although she is their PR chief, she used to frequently post details and photos which most F1 PR pros shy away from.

F1 twitterers:
www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-twitter/

The English language as used by Lewis Hamilton twitter.com/IamLewis4real could fill up pages and pages on C4P English pedants' threads.

last two tweets from him:

Touch down!! I'm in melbourne finally n damn it's warm. Wicked.
1:40 AM Mar 20th via Twitter for iPhone

I hope y'all good. I can't wait 2 get bk in the car to finally race again..... what I love doin! Will try keep u posted. Much love, Lewis
2:27 PM Mar 19th via Twitter for iPhone
Last edited by: John H on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 20:46
 Twitter - Roger.
Fry is the ultimate self-absorbed twiyt who thinks his ramblings are of interest to others.
OOPS Sorry forgot Sally (Mrs.Squeaker) Bercow and Sarah (Mrs. Beard) Brown.
 Twitter - mikeyb
Iffy - try this link although not sure if it will work

twitter.com/#!/LINGsCARS

Also following Lord Sugar who is quite outspoken, although his bickering with Piers Morgan can be dull
 Twitter - Iffy
...Iffy - try this link although not sure if it will work...

mikey,

Thanks, the link took me to a home page, but I was able to find Ling and Sugar.

Ling seemed to be on about being on a train, and other stuff I didn't understand.

Sugar, as you said, seemed to be arguing with Piers Morgan over the spelling of Cheddar - the pair of them would be at home on here.

I thought Sugar and Morgan were mates, so maybe the spats are all publicity.

What I couldn't quite grasp is who was talking to whom, although I imagine that would come with practice.

I didn't quite 'get' Twitter, but I could have tried harder to do so.

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 23 Mar 11 at 20:02
 Twitter - John H
>> ...Iffy - try this link although not sure if it will work...

>> Thanks, the link took me to a home page, but I was able to find
>> Ling and Sugar.
>>

twitter.com/LINGsCARS

Twitter - apm
I'm on twitter (@apm101).

I check my twitter account a couple of times a day. I find it very useful for finding out the latest info on news stories, particularly profession specific stuff. I follow lots of health, higher education and politics tweets and sometimes you can get info that you would only get oin twitter, or sooner than if you waited for other sources. Also some useful comments/ debate sometimes. I also follow some funny people (twoptwips already mentioned and a few others inc the very funny @mrstephenfry). Alot of comedians just spout rubbish or fill you in on their minutiae which is dull; others are genuinely hilarious and can brighten up the day.

Practial example: during the snow in December last, when the Southeastern website was utter fiction (all trains shown as running and on time, subject to alteration due to adverse weather), a twitter search kept me updated with train movements (ie from drivers stuck at depots, commuters at stations- nothing moving at all). Very valuable, and largely contemporaneous.

My personal view (& how I use them) is that twitter is largely about the outside world, and people you don't know (and never will). I don't hide my tweets, but then don't really say much. I don't bother replying to people with 6000 followers, because they won't read it.

I use facebook for people I do know and want to keep in touch with but don't see very often (ie because they live on the other side of the world). I use it for discussing things with friends & family, and uploading photos/ videos etc. I keep my facebook id locked down to my friends only, and I only include people I actively engage with.

Both Twitter and Facebook are valuable and powerful tools if used in the right way. Lots of users focus on the banal (ie Justin Beiber's hair) which to me largely misses the point and diminishes the tools and us! But there it is, that's modern life.

HTH,

Alex.
 Twitter - Alanovich
Mike Brewer of Wheeler Dealers is currently touring the US, and has posted some triffic motoring related photos on his Twitter stream. I would imaigine most of his tweets would be of interest to all of us supposed car/motoring enthusiasts on here.

I have learned things about the forthcoming new series of Wheeler Dealers, and I would have missed it otherwise.

I also follow Ed China, but unfortunately he doesn't tweet much.
Latest Forum Posts