Non-motoring > How to demolish a bridge? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dr Prunesqualler Replies: 15

How to demolish a bridge? - Dr Prunesqualler
The bridge over the A1 that is closest to my house is soon to be demolished as part of the upgarde to motorway standard of the Dishforth to Leeming section.

My son and I have been debating how this will be done: he thinks explosives and I think a more controlled method, maybe a swinging ball or someting innvolving a crane. the bridge currently carries a standard 2 way road so is quite big. The work will be carried out over 3 weekends and the A1 will be shut. (of course)

Anyone know how it wil actually be done?
We will of course be there with sandwiches and deckchairs to watch the entertainment.

How to demolish a bridge? - rtj70
Probably in a similar way to how they removed and replaced a bridge over the M56 earlier this year. I think they demolished in place using JCB's with giant claw type attachments. The following weekend the new bridge was lifted in place (built alongside because it was so big/heavy).
 How to demolish a bridge? - Bigtee
The United Staes Airforce will use it for practice bombing run to sharpen there skills.

Best evacuate a 30 mile radius. :-)
menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1345920_in_pictures_fleet_of_diggers_demolish_m56_motorway_bridge
Had not thought of that one.

There is a handy RAF base: the runway at Leeming is about half a mile from the end of the bridge that is going to go. Best go to visit the reliies in Scotland!
That's the sort of thing I had in mind as well.
The new bridge is already in place, just to the south of the current one.

Something that I have just realised is that there are actually 2 bridges within about half a mile of each other. The one that is being replaced is getting removed in April/May requiring 3 Saturday night closures of the A1 with a 4th as a contingency. The other bridge, which is not being replaced is not being removed at the same time so presumably another series of A1 closures will be needed. I wonder why they don't know them both down at the same time? Less disruption.
 How to demolish a bridge? - helicopter
You obviously have never been involved in the construction industry Dr P.

3 Saturday night closures to demolish and replace a motorway bridge is a very tight timescale indeed and the available time will have been microplanned to the minute with every possible thing that can go wrong hopefully being covered .

I was involved in several of these bridge demolitions and replacements over bank holiday weekends and the planning for that weekend has taken a year.

I have seen the frantic last minute rushes to get everything completed on time.....you have all heard the dreaded words 'motorway works overrunning' .

Your new bridge might well be lifted in by a crane like this , well worth watching if it is..

www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/2673/
The M56 bridge was scheduled to be demolished one weekend and the new one fitted the following weekend. It ended up running into three weekends. A lot of disruption with the M56 closed for two weekends. And the bridge not there for three weeks so no use of junction 7 to get onto the A556.
Nope, never been involved in construction.
The new bridge is already in place just south of the old one. Not sure why they have had to move the location slightly, possibly for tieing it in with the local access road they are building since the junction the bridge serves will be no more.

It will be interesting to see how it all fits together when it is done. Definitely got to get out with the old camera this weekend.

For those who know the area it is the Londonderry bridge just south of Leeming Bar.
 How to demolish a bridge? - crocks
>> For those who know the area it is the Londonderry bridge just south of Leeming Bar.

Found it on Google Streetview. tinyurl.com/5v2uyov

Those are steel beams so they will remove the concrete deck with nibblers, cut out the bracing and lift the beams out.

Has the new bridge been built in a new location so it can be up and ready before the existing one is removed?

>Has the new bridge been built in a new location so it can be up and ready before the existing one is removed

Posssibly. The roads leading to the old bridge will be closed for 10 weeks. During this time the old bridge will be removed and connections to the new one made. This will involve finishing the local access road which I guess will connect to/be made up of the existing A1 northbound.
I think the new bridge is longer than the old one so it can accomodate a 6 lane motorway whereas the old one went over 4 lanes and a bit of slip road. The new one has been in place for quite a while.
 How to demolish a bridge? - crocks
Demolition method will depend on type of bridge construction, time available, proximity of other buildings and many other factors.

Your son may be right but my money would be on a more controlled removal.

Pictures of the M56 bridge removal here. tinyurl.com/33lnmxh

Edit - spent too long typing and making tiny!!
Last edited by: Crocks on Thu 24 Mar 11 at 11:42
 How to demolish a bridge? - Crankcase
Bridges? Cambridge have just had the fun of a new bicycle bridge being lovingly crafted by the contractors, swung into position and...well...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-12759800

How to demolish a bridge? - bathtub tom
Perhaps they could find a use for it on the guided bus route?
 How to demolish a bridge? - Alastairw
Better than being too short! When they designed a trendy footbridge between the Manchester Arndale and the new (post IRA) M&S it was about a foot too short when installed. Some sort of bodging ensued for it to fit, but it still doesnt feel right to me.
 How to demolish a bridge? - Ted

Seems to me they could just cut a rebate in both banks of the stream and drop it in, after all it#s not carrying vehicles.

What's the betting it costs thousand of ratepayers dosh to have it taken away and shortened in some factory miles away.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts