Non-motoring > employment law Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 3

employment law - TheManWithNoName
Any experts in employment law on here? I need some advice please.
Scenario:
Myself and two colleagues got involved in various projects at work which involved working over and above our normal roles and job description. As a result the boss gave us incremental payrises equivalent of the next pay grade but our job descriptions and terms and conditions were never altered.

Due to cut backs etc they've had to make savings and that meant they only wanted two out of the three of us. The successful canditates would then have a revised official job description and a new title. After an interview this week, I have not been successful in keeping my enhanced role but I go back to my old job I did 3-4 years ago.

My question relates to pay. As of first April they want to decrease my salary to what it was but someone told me that because I have been doing this job for as long as I have (its certainly not just been a short-term 6 month secondment) then I should keep my enhanced pay for a year.
Are they right and do I have rights which prevents a sudden drop in salary?
 employment law - spamcan61
IANAL but I suspect you may have a case under 'custom and practise' i.e. there is more to your employment contract than the written one.

A quick Google gave this vaguely siimilar scenario:-

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=575622
 employment law - Zero
Be very careful.

This could be construed as them making one of the posts redundant, but offering you another post.

(thats the correct way to do it)

However it could be seen that you are refusing the new ( your old ) post and they could simply pay you off with government minimum redundancy.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Mar 11 at 14:52
 employment law - Bigtee
Here a similar thing happens often when someone can no longer do there job on health reasons and do another post the wage stays at what your getting now but you don't get pay rises untill the new post catches up with you.

Ok if your late 50's but not if your younger.

Latest Forum Posts