Non-motoring > Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 20

Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - Fursty Ferret
As part of the Metrolink expansion to Didsbury workers are doing something to the old railway behind my flat. This has involved heavy construction for the last few days but they've brought something in that creates phenomenal vibrations at about 10-15Hz.

It work me up this morning at 9am (I'm working lates at the moment so this is a potential safety issue to anyone who's on my flight tonight), but more importantly, it's destroying my stuff. The vibrations are so severe that a few minutes ago a picture fell off the wall and smashed all over the lounge; the radiators and plumbing are shaking like crazy, and the drone is so loud I can't hear myself think, let alone make a phone call.

Before I go all Swampy on this; does anyone know who I need to call to

(a) point out that they might be damaging local buildings;
(b) request a hotel for the next couple of days; and
(c) get my broken picture frame replaced.

Might be the tiredness but I'm about to pfd lose it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 00:35
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - swiss tony
I can't help on the people to contact, but may I ask that you don't fly over Buckinghamshire? ;-P
>> I can't help on the people to contact, but may I ask that you don't
>> fly over Buckinghamshire? ;-P
>>

No promises. :)
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - Dave_
A friend used to live right next to the ECML at Hitchin, when they were undertaking piling works they sent letters to all the properties likely to be affected by noise/vibration - I'm surprised you haven't had similar.

EDIT: Found this for you AF www.metrolink.co.uk/constructionworks/list.asp

"How to find out more

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0161 244 1555 (office hours) or email future.metrolink@gmpte.gov.uk. If requested, we are also happy to arrange to visit you at home or at your place of work to discuss the project further.

To report any urgent issues or incidents relating to this work, please call 0845 604 2724. This number will be staffed 24 hours a day."

and...

"During this period you may experience some noise and we apologise in advance for any disturbance this work may cause". So that's alright then.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 11:38
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - NortonES2
EHO and/or HSE might help. The vibration described sounds severe! Building and pipe damage as wel as noise nuisance ought to be considered by the construction firm. Maximum levels of vibration may be specified within the plans for the particular job.

Here's a link re measuring vibration:www.accudataltd.co.uk/pdf/ground-vibration.pdf
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - Dog
Now you know what it must be like for people living adjacent to Airports, effendi.

:)
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 11:49
Well, yes, but you know what to expect when you buy a house near an airport...

Until a few weeks ago, this was a footpath!

Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - Dog
>>Until a few weeks ago, this was a footpath!<<

Nothing worse than noise when you're trying to sleep (or being woken up because of it)

I do sympathize with you - especially with your job, maybe an idea to make alternative arrangements during the the construction period, if possible.

Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - rtj70
>> Until a few weeks ago, this was a footpath!

Until a few weeks ago this was an old railway line that has not been in use for a long time. There have been talks of re-installing some sort of railway line for ages. Luckily it's not your flat ;-)

Now if there was never a plan to make use of the old cutting... why is it still there? And why does it still run all the way from East Didsbury to Manchester (via Chorlton and Trafford)? The line went all the way to Stockport but from East Didsbury onwards it was filled in and built on.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 21:49
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - Ted

Indeed, Rob. In fact the platforms and foundations of Heaton Mersey station are still there, under the houses and infill.

An archaological dig in a thousand years or so may have people wondering what they were.

The Metro to Chorlton was projected in about 1990, I think. Gawd, we've been waiting long enough !

Ted
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - RattleandSmoke
I know the development in Didsbury on the old railway station and the old dairy was built on the condition that Metrolink would one day come.

Ted my 1991 book on the Metrolink suggests the Chorlton and Didsbury line would be open by 2000! They were only 11+ years out.

I have been disappointed with recent progress on the Chorlton line but in the next few days the tracks will be connected permanently to Old Trafford which means testing can begin.

My grandma lives within yards of where the Chorlton link to the airport runs so she is going to suffer a lot of the noise for no benefit.

Like Ted I have been excited about this development for the past twenty years and it is about time. As for the Stockport link I can't see anything happening to about 2025 but until then they should introduce a Parrs Wood shuttle service. It currently takes 20 minutes from Parrs Wood to Stockport because of all the stops, a shuttle down Didsbury Road would take just ten.

I keep meaning to take new pictures of all the developments but just been so busy lately I don't get chance.
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - rtj70
>> As for the Stockport link I can't see anything happening to about 2025

But the old railway line cutting to Stockport from Didsbury is no longer there. So it has to terminate at East Didsbury. I agree about the development on the old station site in Didsbury - i.e. that the Metrolink was planned a long time ago.
I'm sorry, IMHO trams are the world's most pointless invention.

The mini-stations occupy unnecessary amounts of space; the capital cost is immense; they're easily disrupted by other traffic; the lines are lethal to cyclists; the noise is high; and if one breaks down the whole bleedin' network is scuppered.

Why not just tarmac the old lines and run electric trolleybuses down them? All the benefits, none of the drawbacks.
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - helicopter
Certainly sounds like Vibratory Piling work to stabilise the railway embankment Alfa Floor.

I would go round and ask to speak to the construction Site Manager , point out in a calm manner the problems you have had and they may well be able to suggest ways to sort matters out ( as long as its not a cement overcoat) .

Generally these guys are reasonable . They have a job to complete on programme and they are keen to cause as little disruption as possible and keep the neighbours onside.

Our hovel is probably the same distance from the line as your's AF. I assume you live on Lapwing Lane.. We had the pile driver along here, they were smacking in large ' corrugated ' retaining sheets of metal to stop the banking sliding onto the track.

There was noise, but very little vibration. I think this was possibly down to construction of the house. Newer ones and flats are probably built more lightly. We didn't notice any vibration when heavy rail was using the route.

It didn't last long here, Ring them on the number and take down your pictures and ornaments for the time being.

I'm sure you'll agree that a station close by will be a big boon. Our's, St Werburgh's Road is sheduled for early June ATM.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I'm a little closer to the work (Moorland Road) and the place is still vibrating like crazy. Fortunately I think it'll be a couple of years before the tram actually starts running, but will move out at that point. Glad it's rented, really!

Been inside a few shops near the tramlines in Manchester city centre; the whole floor moves up and down as the trams go past.
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - devonite
When a construction firm were driving piles for some new bungalows out our back last year, all the grout between our bathroom tiles cracked and several fell off! I went to see the site manager and he came to inspect the damage. After the piling was completed he sent two chaps around to repair and relace the damage, so I recommend a friendly word at site level first, then make waves at head office later if you have to.
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - MD
These days they have to comply. The days of FO don't exist any more, except in the small mind of some in authority.......'locally'.
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - RattleandSmoke
Alfa if you see the work they have done in Chorlton you will see all the work they have done in sound proofing. Although I am about 1 mile from the nearest station and 2/3 of a mile from the track (altrincham line) I can still often hear the trams running even here.

I have often wondered if trolleybuses would be better too but trams are more efficient as you can get much more people on them. If I am going to town I usually don't bother with the bus but drive to Stretford and the tram.ut

It is no quicker as the drive takes 10 minutes once parked but means I don't have to deal with the torture that is a bus stopping every few seconds plus the tram actually works out cheaper!

I did have the projected plans for the Stockport section.
Good colour shots from a hecilopter overlaid with route intended.

Shows the line leaving Parr's Wood through a cut and cover tunnel under Didsbury Road, rejoining the trackbed of the Midland Railway and then crossing and re-crossing the Mersey a few times to end in Chestergate.

An enormous expense...can't see it happening for a long time.
At least there should be a good park and ride at Parr's Wood on the old allotments.
There's no parking facility anywhere else on the branch apart from the road.

Ted
 Construction work vibration... RRRrrRRRRrrrRRrr - helicopter
Err - a Hecilopter .....Ted

What the heck is a Hecilopter :0)
Latest Forum Posts