Non-motoring > A new use for Streetview Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 62

A new use for Streetview - Crankcase
I know people use Google Streetview to check properties etc, but here's something a bit different.

If you can remember a childhood walk, try following it in Google Streetview. If you take it slowly, and if you've not been there for many years, it's amazing what memories can suddenly pop up.

Worked for me - here's mine.

I'd entirely forgotten kicking at a football, my shoe flying off and it going over the school wall, and having to hop round to the builder's yard next door in one sock on a wet morning to get my shoe back before assembly. I remember the sick feeling of dread and the wet foot, and I didn't think it was funny at the time.

Google brought it all back when I followed my usual school journey from home (and how small home looks now) and saw the yard is still there.

A new use for Streetview - Dog
This is the infant school I used to go to, it says Camberwell but is actually Bermondsea ~

tinyurl.com/64l4reg

I left there when I was 9 - 49 years ago :) ... p.s. it looks like a prison!
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 29 Mar 11 at 14:10
..and dead opposite the pub.
 A new use for Streetview - Armel Coussine
>> opposite the pub.

Convenient for the nippers when they needed a quick pint at lunch time. Did they have a special lollipop lady or bloke to protect them on the way to the pub, and (more importantly perhaps) on the way back?
>>..and dead opposite the pub.<<

Leave it out guv'nor - I didn't start drinking until I was 13!
..in quaternary? :)
>>in quaternary?<<

Certainly seems like it, sometimes :(
 A new use for Streetview - R.P.
Dog,
Where you there sometime between 1960 and 1963 if so do you remember being taught by a Mrs Davies ?
>>Where you there sometime between 1960 and 1963 if so do you remember being taught by a Mrs Davies<<

I can't remember a great deal about my time there really Pugley, I'm a bit of an Asperger + my dad dropped dead at my feet when I was 9 and it had a greater effect on me than anyone realized at the time.

The only school mistress I can remember was a Miss Raffen because she caned me sooo hard on the legs that I had huge read weals & ran home to tell my mother and she and my elder sister went straight up to Webb St. and threatened to lynch her :)

We moved to Camberwell shortly afterward and I went to Brunswick Park infants b4 going to William Penn secondary mod when I was 11.
My mother-in-law taught there between those dates. She wasn't your caner !
I would sioux her today!
 A new use for Streetview - Mapmaker
The Hartley pub reopened as a gastropub about five or six years ago and was very successful. Then it was sold, the new owners let it run down. It was boarded up for a while, became a bad Thai, and is now a fairly ordinary boozer.
I see the bakers, cnr of Rothsay St. is now a dry cleaners, Rossi's is now a Kebab Hse.
but - Manze's pie shop is still there :)

All coming back to me now!
 A new use for Streetview - Ted

......anyway, back to the Metrolink.............

Ted
 A new use for Streetview - spamcan61
I've just done the virtual walk from my old house in lovely Luton to senior school, very few major changes along the route, most noticeable things are that there are almost no houses with front gardens now, all used as driveways; and there are loads of mini roundabouts now replacing crossroads and T junctions. Surprisingly few changes over a 35 year timespan.

Edit: whoops I failed to notice that the SKF ball bearing factory is now a housing estate, that's a fairly big change.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 30 Mar 11 at 14:13
 A new use for Streetview - bathtub tom
They're both still there when I looked. The old one in Leagrave road and the new opposite The Favourite in Sundon Park road?
>> They're both still there when I looked. The old one in Leagrave road and the
>> new opposite The Favourite in Sundon Park road?
>>

It occurred to me after posting that it wasn't actually SKF, in fact I'm darned if I can remember who it was. Factory was here:-

tinyurl.com/5uzn3xd
Can't help you there. SWMBO went to the school nearby, under it's previous name. I'll ask her when she's back tonight.

Who needs Streetview ? I used to walk past Teddy Towers holding me old mum's hand about 1950 !

I still remember her dropping my two lollipops, a green and a yellow one, down a grid 'cos I was being naughty. Years of burning resentment have made me the man I am ......and I still know which grid !

Ted
..and I still know which grid !

You have a grid reference then ?

Groaaaaaan !

Ted
 A new use for Streetview - Cliff Pope
This one - still blocked:

tinyurl.com/6c5lyfx

(There's a way of shortening that lot - sorry, no idea how.)

Done it for you now using iffy's link - don't worry we won't send you to prison or anything ! :-)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 09:52
 A new use for Streetview - Iffy
(There's a way of shortening that lot - sorry, no idea how.)

Cliff,

You want: tinyurl.com/

Which produces:

tinyurl.com/6c5lyfx

There are others, including one buried somewhere in Google tools.
 A new use for Streetview - Perky Penguin
Comes out as

tinyurl.com/5vboykx

thru use of www.tinyurl.com

Beaten to it by iffy who, like me, is probabl;y not at work!!!!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 09:15
 A new use for Streetview - L'escargot
There's a mass of information about Street View, but I still haven't found out how to actually get it. Help please.
>> There's a mass of information about Street View, but I still haven't found out how
>> to actually get it. Help please.
>>
This guide seems pretty good:-

www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/5015670/How-to-use-Google-Street-View.html
On the left hand side of Google maps, near the scale, there is a little orange man.

Click and hold on him, and drag him to where you want to view.

For accuracy, it's worth zooming in on the map to street plan size, so you can drag the man to a particular street.

Some remote areas are not covered, but if you start off with a major town or city centre you will get the hang of it.

You can use the arrows on the top left of street view to look around, and also to walk the man along the street.

It's quite addictive, and good fun if you have a nice fast broadband connection.

A new use for Streetview - L'escargot
Thanks iffy. Now I've got it.
...Thanks iffy. Now I've got it....

There are more advanced features which I don't understand.

Sometimes I get half the screen in map view and half the screen in street.

I'm also not sure what the opaque box which sometimes comes up in front of the man does.

If by opaque box you mean a circle you can click on that and the Man will move to that place/point of view. Sorry if I have misunderstood your query. I find it useful if I am going to a location I haven't visited before, one can see the shop frontage or building entrance or whatever.
 A new use for Streetview - Fenlander
We are doing all our house hunting by streetview at home in the evening... both an intrusive and amazing resource.
...If by opaque box you mean a circle you can click on that and the Man will move to that place/point of view...

Thanks for that.

I also get a square/rectangular opaque box that appears to be 'on edge'.

Any ideas?

The square box is a "zoom point", for want of a better term. Click it and the view zooms in without moving you. But you may as well use the scroll wheel on your mouse if you have one as it's easier - (edit: you probably haven't on a Mac).

A different way to navigate about is to click the little square top right - it has four arrows in the corners. This makes the whole thing full screen. Now you can navigate about by pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard. Hold down to keep moving if you want. Exit full screen by pressing escape when done.

I think pretty well all England is done now, remote or not. Not sure about the rest of the UK.

Next week - the joys of flying at 1000 feet over the entire planet using Google Earth, and watch anywhere in the world go by under you. Great to relax by with some music on.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 14:04

Went into Cwmbran the other night and pulled up my uncle's house...not been for many years.
The camera car had been right outside and I could zoom in to see he had a wooden model vintage car on the lounge window sill.. Amazing.

Also, if you click and hold on the picture you can spin it round or up and down.

Ted
...The square box is a "zoom point"...

Thanks, now I know what it's meant to do, I might have bit more luck using it.

There is no scroll wheel on Apple's Magic Mouse, you just stroke the one-piece shell instead.

I keep thinking about putting a mouse on my Mac. Then I use the PC instead.
...I keep thinking about putting a mouse on my Mac. Then I use the PC instead...

The mouse on your PC should work on your Mac.

The Apple mouse is smarter, not least because it's Bluetooth so there is nothing to plug into the Mac.

Could be important when you've only two usb ports to play with, as I have on the MacBook Pro.

Yes, it does - but I don't use the Mac for anything other than a bit of surfing and reading this place sometimes, so no real need to mouse. Not sure it even has bluetooth - it's an older Macbook, not a pro. I like it well enough as it's a convenient laptop for downstairs, but tend to use the PC upstairs for things like video capture as that means loads of bits plugged in.

, you just stroke the one-piece shell
>>

Careful, you'll be getting L'es excited !

Ted
What I see loks like a white disc, lying flat on the road, and about the size of a circular teat-tray?
The white circle is the next point at which a photo was taken, so if you click on it the view moves to that point. Judicious mousery will let you "jump" down the street if you can get a circle to appear at the far end.
 A new use for Streetview - nyx2k
i use street view most days for something.
perfect when house hunting
It covers even remote areas here in Wales, sometimes even lanes which aren't strictly public roads, or are just open spaces like carparks and turning areas. Even when it doesn't actually travel along a track or entrance, you can often zoom several hundred yards along.

It's absolutely brilliant for saving time finding shops, suppliers, addresses out in the wilds.

A few months ago I bought a large wooden water butt on eBay, supplied by a trading company somewhere in a network of forest roads. It might have taken ages in real time cruising around trying to find someone to ask the way, but using Street view I could quickly locate it, and spot the landmarks at the vital turns. When I drove there, I felt as if I already knew the way from having been there before.

Presumably though it will gradually become out of date, until such time as bits get re-covered. Is there a stated policy - 5 years, 10 years? Will old Streetview then be archived anywhere?
That's me, couple of years ago: tinyurl.com/6a22yep

I remember seeing the car and thinking what on earth's that sticking out the roof?
 A new use for Streetview - Alanovich
I saw one doing its thing in Sonning. But I can't find my car in the images now. I think they've spliced images from two different runs together as the cars and foliage change through the village.
This is where we lived for 3.5 years ~ tinyurl.com/47rrs2t

Looks messed up now though due to lackadaisical planning regs!
 A new use for Streetview - smokie
Yep, they have definitely spliced different age pictures together. I can fairly accurately date my house as the guttering is mid-replacement, which was September, but at my mate's house just around the corner he has a tree in blossom which I think he said happens only in June. The view is seamless though, very neat. Mine has been done at least three different times, can tell by the cars.

My next door numptie had his house removed for security reasons !!!!

Mine went with it, unfortunately

Ted
...My next door numptie had his house removed for security reasons !!!!...

Clown.

Was he worried someone was going to nick his house?

You'd need more than a screwdriver and a pair of socks to get one of those away.

Ooh I do detest the word "reasons" these days. People tell you they can't do something for "health and safety reasons" or "data protection reasons", but if you ask them what those reasons actually are they look at you in astonishment, as if the phrase should be all you need to know.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 19:20
 A new use for Streetview - Clk Sec
>>My next door numptie had his house removed for security reasons !!!!...

Was his fence removed as well?
 A new use for Streetview - BiggerBadderDave
If I were a burglar with a mischievous streak, I'd only do houses that had been removed from streetview.
 A new use for Streetview - Zero
>> If I were a burglar with a mischievous streak, I'd only do houses that had
>> been removed from streetview.

you wouldn't find them
>>
>> My next door numptie had his house removed for security reasons !!!!
>>
>>>>

Put in for planning permission for a new one, that'll annoy him, when the Council come round to stick up the notice :)!
 A new use for Streetview - BiggerBadderDave
"Yep, they have definitely spliced different age pictures together."

The house in which I grew up in Manchester is on the corner of a kind of 3 point junction. There is a different car on the drive depending on which street you're viewing it from.
 A new use for Streetview - Fenlander
So what do you see on streetview in place of a removed house for security reasons... a generic house or blank space??
they might make it a fuzzy house?
 A new use for Streetview - Clk Sec
Or just fence it off...
photoshop a big wodge of ivy over it?
 A new use for Streetview - Focusless
>> photoshop a big wodge of ivy over it?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1369517/Chelmsford-home-covered-ivy-estate-agents-forced-drop-price-230k.html
 A new use for Streetview - Focusless
>> >> photoshop a big wodge of ivy over it?

Streetview link: tinyurl.com/3qntb3t
The blank says "Lots of nickable goodies here - don't waste your time next door"
If anything, the blank draws attention to what is otherwise an innocuous street.

Ted's neighbour is truly a fool.

Latest Forum Posts