Non-motoring > Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 20

Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Armel Coussine
The house phones here are getting crotchety, sometimes failing to charge properly and then cutting out. Time to replace them I think.

Package deals normally consist of a base station/phone and one extension charger/phone. However we would need an extra extension or even two (three or four telephones in all). One can usually buy these at extra cost.

I have noticed that there is quite a wide variation in both performance and longevity with these things. Performance includes things like sound quality, range, non-sticky and non-fiddly buttons, etc. There doesn't seem much point in going expensive, especially as children and technophobes abound here and robust simplicity is probably what is really needed.

Does anyone know anything about telephones or have a recommendation?
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Old Navy
Panasonic, or Siemens gigaset.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Mar 11 at 15:54
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Dog
>>Panasonic, or Siemens gigaset.<<

Aye!
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Alanovich
I have a Siemens gigaset and have found it very non-intuitive. Mrs A hates it with a passion. In fact, she now refuses to answer it and listen to the voicemails becasue she can't be bothered to get used to it.

It'll be in the bin soon, I'm fed up with passing on all her messages.

Yoo hoo Panasonic.
The existing ones are Panasonic, but a few years old now. Complicated controls too.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - John H
>> Panasonic, or Siemens gigaset.
>>

supplementary question:

Do you need to connect only the base station to the phone socket or do the additional handsets also need their own phone sockets?

Only the base station needs a phone socket regardless of the number of handsets, they each need a power socket for charging.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Mar 11 at 16:05
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Iffy
I bought the cheapest handset in stock at Comet.

Performance, particularly call quality, is average to poor.

Next time I will try a more expensive set.

Philips and Panasonic seem to be regularly recommended.

Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - AnotherJohnH
>> Only the base station needs a phone socket regardless of the number of handsets, they
>> each need a power socket for charging.
>>

Yes, but if you buy an additional handset it will need to be paired up with the base station.

And, I'd agree the Siemens gigaset is not terribly intuitive.
>> Yes, but if you buy an additional handset it will need to be paired up
>> with the base station.
>>
Not difficult according to the instructions for my Panasonic phone.

I only mentioned the Siemens phone as my kids have one and are pleased with it, but then they could programme a video recorder at a young age. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Mar 11 at 19:05
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Stuartli
>>Not difficult according to the instructions for my Panasonic phone.>>

It just requires that any additional handset is GAP compatible in order to be able to register it for use with the main handset.
Only the base station. There are several sockets dotted about the place though.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - John H
>> Only the base station.

Thanks, to both ON and AC.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - teabelly
Have you tried replacing the batteries with new panasonic rechargeables? I did that with mine as they were getting bad tempered and failing to charge. They've been ok since.

If not philips do some cheapies that comet often sell. Bought a set for my parents and they have been really good. Pack came with 4 handsets I think. They seem to have better call quality than the panasonics.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - bathtub tom
I'd suggest replacing the batteries too. Haven't you any NiMH around of the right size? Try it on one 'phone first. Our old favourite LIDL had some recently, they might still be around.

If you can keep the old handsets, it means you don't have to learn new operating procedures, or transfer all the numbers kept in memory.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Stuartli
Panasonic...:-))
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - VxFan
Another vote for Panasonic.

Can highly recommend the KXTG6522 (the end number indicates how many handsets). If you wanted 4 phones, then you'd need the KXTG6524.

Currently on Amazon for £49.99 delivered.

tinyurl.com/66zmefb

A google might find it even cheaper.

A year or so ago I paid £49.99 for the model that only came with 2 phones. Now for the same price you get 4 phones.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Clk Sec
tinyurl.com/5rdb9n4
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Mike Hannon
We have ones branded Logicom, which also appear with other brand names I believe. They are very poor quality and I would have replaced them if I hadn't received another set just before the guarantee ran out.
 Landline cordless phones... any recommendations? - Falkirk Bairn

Tesco

Panasonic/Siemens multi-packs 3/4 phones at our local Tesco £45-£65 for 3/4 - different models with additional features - I bought 3 x Panasonic pack for £50 - excellent - replaced old set which had stuck keys etc
Many thanks to all for brisk no-nonsense advice and recommendations. There is a certain consistency about them too. We seem to have the most recommended brand of phone already.

Seems silly not to try batteries first. Time was when phone batteries were hard to get, expensive special battery packs, but I see that these are simple AAA size NIMH ones.

If that fails I am tempted by Philips. Always had a soft spot for Philips kit despite its downmarket image. A good value brand in the old days.
Latest Forum Posts