Non-motoring > Sports Clothing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 26

Sports Clothing - Perky Penguin
I suppose that most sports clothing is designed to meets the needs of the players. In that respect can anyone explain why basketball players wear such long and baggy shorts? I have just seen some players in shorts whose legs would make a decent and very long skirt for a slim(ish) woman. What useful purpose do these serve, please?
 Sports Clothing - sherlock47
Surely this just a modesty issue - I believe that the myths about the correlation with shoe size in certain ethnic groups are actually truths! ;)
 Sports Clothing - John H
>> with shoe size in certain ethnic groups are actually truths! ;)
>>

Is this map true then?

www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/25/world_maps/

Brits bigger than the Irish and Yanks, but smaller than the French.

Last edited by: John H on Wed 30 Mar 11 at 20:15
I had better not post a link but anyone who uses Google to find images of Rudolf Nureyev will find that even he did not need knee length shorts!
 Sports Clothing - Ted

.....and particularly big in this part of Britain, I notice !

Sorry, it was a mark on my screen.

Ted
 Sports Clothing - Leif
Why do (casual) runners wear such silly clothing, and carry a water bottle?
 Sports Clothing - Alanovich
Why do people who aren't participating in, nor are they on their way to participate in sporting activity, wear sports clothing? That's what I wanna know.
 Sports Clothing - apm
I wear rugby shirts as they are warm, comfortable and a good compromise between smart and practical. Makes a change from a shirt or jumper.

I wear the appropriate ones to support the three teams I support (England, Harlequins and Westcombe Park) when they are playing. I still have shirts from my playing days that miraculously still fit.

Don't do football shirts, although I do wear cricket tops to actually play sport in as they are cool and loose (mostly badminton).

Cheers,

Alex.
 Sports Clothing - Alanovich
Ah, yes. I'm guilty of wearing the odd rugby top (got Scotland, London Scottish and Malta currently).

I was more speaking of tracksuits and the like I suppose. But yes, I suppose I'm being a bit hypocritical here.

I have given up wearing my teams' football shirts and passed that baton to my son (given the teams I follow I expect it's some form of child abuse).
 Sports Clothing - Duncan
>>>> I wear the appropriate ones to support the three teams I support (England, Harlequins and>> Westcombe Park) when they are playing. I still have shirts from my playing days that
>> miraculously still fit.

Where are you going on Saturday Alex?
 Sports Clothing - Focusless
>> Why do (casual) runners wear such silly clothing, and carry a water bottle?

'Casual' because they're not running very fast? Because they might still be going out for a reasonable length of time, and expending a lot of energy because they're not very fit. So it makes sense to take some water with them, although admittedly it might be more psychological them physiological. I've never bothered with bottles apart from when I was doing 20+ mile training runs in preparation for a marathon.

As for the clothing, what do you mean by silly? What would count as sensible?
 Sports Clothing - helicopter
As an ex Rugby player , I tend to wear Rugby shirts as well because they are comfortably sized for someone who is as large as I am ( ie no stranger to the pie shop....).

Cotton traders gear is usually comfortable smart /casual and reasonably priced ....with elasticated waistbands

I am not related to Fran Cotton but some have noted I resemble him....

tinyurl.com/6fwro2z

Cotton gave my favourite politically incorrect rugby quote of all time..

Facing the All Blacks performing the Haka he turns to his team mates and shouts

' Look at the big poofs dancing'.....
>> As an ex Rugby player , I tend to wear Rugby shirts as well

These days the things the top players actually wear are quite tight fitting aren't they, not like the ones you get in M&S at all.
 Sports Clothing - Pat
Now that just isn't true!

Rugby players have bulges where men with a middle aged spread don't.

Pat
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6658137.stm

EDIT: see the 2003 pic
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 31 Mar 11 at 16:14
>> news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6658137.stm
>>
>> EDIT: see the 2003 pic

...and try not to get too excited :)
 Sports Clothing - Pat
Now that's not fair, it isn't loading at all!

Pat
Never mind Pat - try this one , I used to look like this once.......

tinyurl.com/435zly8

If you believe that....
 Sports Clothing - Pat
I can believe that's what you see when you look in the mirror...

I see something resembling Kylie Minogue.

Pat
I think we are both deluding ourselves Pat......

>> I can believe that's what you see when you look in the mirror...
>>
>> I see something resembling Kylie Minogue.
>>
>> Pat

you should be so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky)
 Sports Clothing - Leif
Focus said:
>> 'Casual' because they're not running very fast? Because they might still be going out for
>> a reasonable length of time, and expending a lot of energy because they're not very
>> fit. So it makes sense to take some water with them, although admittedly it might
>> be more psychological them physiological. I've never bothered with bottles apart from when I was
>> doing 20+ mile training runs in preparation for a marathon.
>>
>> As for the clothing, what do you mean by silly? What would count as sensible?

'Casual' meaning non professional, almost certainly no more than 4 miles. You do not need water for that sort of run. And the clothes they wear are often expensive ones from running shops. I can understand buying good running shoes, but quite why they need expensive shorts/trousers and shirts is beyond me. I'm sure it is marketing in magazines, explaining that you lose X cc of water per mile, and need 'hydration' for maximal performance, and certain high performance fabrics blah blah blah. If you are training for a marathon, well that's different, that's serious!
>> 'Casual' meaning non professional, almost certainly no more than 4 miles. You do not need
>> water for that sort of run.

Agreed, if that's all they're doing.

>> I can understand buying good running shoes

I've just bought a new pair myself, first in a long time, and they were 'only' £40 - reduced from £60 because they're a nice shade of fluorescent yellow. But I might take them back because I'm still not running at the speed I was going 18 years ago :)
The professional sportsmen and women have a little rhyme for the sort of amateurs who wear the latest up to date clothing...

All the gear....
No idea.....

Speaking of Rugby shirts, when I played they were so long they used to come down virtually to the back of my knees, the boots were inflexible lumps of leather with metal studs and if you got hit by the ball it was like a right hander from Mike Tyson.

The modern tight shirts are to stop the opposition grabbing the player and hauling them back. I believe the first time I saw these shirts used in Rugby Union was when the Army won the Middlesex Sevens but all the professional teams wear them now.
 Sports Clothing - L'escargot
>> In that respect can anyone explain why basketball players wear such long and baggy shorts?

It could be partly down to what is the current style. It may not be just a matter of functionality. Next year the shape may have changed.
 Sports Clothing - Armel Coussine
A fellow I used to see occasionally in my old London manor had a neatly trimmed moustache and was always more than impeccably turned out in plus-fours and a deerstalker hat. I may be wrong but it is possible his tweed jacket, of a rich brown colour, was a Norfolk jacket. Sorry Humph, but I don't usually scrutinise people's shoes. I would be willing to bet though that this character wore well-polished brown boots.

Despite the shining perfection of every detail including the moustache, I couldn't help thinking whenever I saw him that those were shooting clothes, inappropriate for a gentleman visiting the metropolis.

Mind you, he would be an object of wonder in the country nowadays.

I think basketball bods have been wearing shorts that look as thought they have been made from large yacht sail offcuts for years.
Latest Forum Posts