Non-motoring > April Fool thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 46

April Fool thread - Hard Cheese

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/8419140/Labour-memo-celebrate-Ed-Milibands-wedding-with-street-party.html

The email sent from Flora Lopi ...

April Fool thread - Crankcase
tinyurl.com/652bcea

Firebox...I think!
 April Fool thread - Dog
April 1st - 'All Fools' Day. Are we reminded to-day of what we are on other 364 days?
 April Fool thread - Perky Penguin
Something on Radio 4 at about 07.40 this morning announcing a breakthrough in the production of stereo radio. I thought we already had it, with a suitable receiver and 2 speakers? Maybe it was suggesting it was going to work on a radio with one speaker?

BMW took a whole page advert in a colour magazine some years ago, when 1st April was on a Sunday, in which they invited people to pay £250 for a limited edition ceramic model of a BMW car, created by the celebrated Finnish sculptor Lirf Loopa!
 April Fool thread - Focusless
My parents used to get the Telegraph when I was a kid, and BMW did an April fool ad in that every year - used to look forward to it. Anyone got a copy of today's?
Spotted near the weir in Bath this morning (the guy who took it is our VP of marketing, not me!)
plixi.com/p/88536075
 April Fool thread - Zero
You work for this company then!

www.picochip.com/
THIS has turned up on an Aviation Forum I frequent. Opinion is divided as whether it is April Foll or not. It is very credible IMO

BERLIN - GERMAN police have uncovered a scandal involving Lufthansa flight attendants smuggling scrapped euro coins back from China and bringing them back into circulation, the Bild daily said on Thursday.

In what the paper said was the biggest scandal involving euro coins, once back in Germany the cabin crew would then exchange the coins for notes at the Bundesbank central bank.

Police have carried out dawn raids at the Bundesbank and at firms in and around Frankfurt in western Germany including at Lufthansa, the country's flag carrier, Bild said, with six people taken into custody. 'They are under investigation for circulating false money,' prosecutor Doris Moeller-Scheu told Bild.

Every year the Bundesbank takes out of circulation hundreds of tonnes of dirty, bent coins and breaks them into separate metals, which are then shipped to China.

Bild said the pieces were then re-assembled by criminal groups, which hired flight attendants to smuggle them back into Germany, creating losses for the euro zone of at least 20 million euros (S$35.8 million).

A lot of the World Press have fallen for it!

If it IS an April Fool most of the World press have fallen for it!

Authorities were alerted after a Lufthansa stewardess was caught by customs officers with thousands of one-euro and two-euro coins in her bag, the paper added. -- AFP
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 09:10
 April Fool thread - Stuartli
Jessops has sent out an e-mail newsletter about its latest photographic course - the chance to photograph the moon whilst orbiting the earth, with the first course planned to take place in April 2013...:-))

Anti-gravity cameras and camcorders will be provided, along with trained astronauts and professional photographers to offer guidance.

Send your £5,000 fee now to ensure a place.....:-)

April Fool thread - Zero
The Editorial in todays I is a rather weak tale of the EU banning the term "fish fingers" because they are not the fingers of fish, (who of course have no hands let alone fingers). They will be called "strips of fish in breadcrumbs"
 April Fool thread - Zero
And also in todays I is a story about Portugal selling Ronaldo to Spain for 150 million pounds to ease the national debt.

>> And also in todays I is a story about Portugal selling Ronaldo to Spain for
>> 150 million pounds to ease the national debt.
>>

No, no, it's Ronaldo selling Portugal to Spain ...

April Fool thread - Zero

>> No, no, it's Ronaldo selling Portugal to Spain ...

Not according to Paolo Fril, professor of economics at Lisbon University.
 April Fool thread - sherlock47
>>>with thousands of one-euro and two-euro coins in her bag<<<

In an attempt to discredit the story I checked the weight of a 1euro coin -7.5gms. So the jury remains out!

1 2Euro coin weighs 8.5gms.

Last edited by: pmh on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 09:20
>> You work for this company then!
>>
>> www.picochip.com/

Thanks Z, I'd forgotten :)
 April Fool thread - Old Navy
>> Spotted near the weir in Bath this morning (the guy who took it is our
>> VP of marketing, not me!)
>> plixi.com/p/88536075
>>

You can't park anywhere these days. :-)
 April Fool thread - Dog
This could be an april fools gag, but knowing Cornwall, it's probably true!

www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Hot-water-gate-cash-strapped-Council-ferried-tea-taxi/article-3397031-detail/article.html

www.express.co.uk/posts/view/238007/A-Zimmer-skateboard-now-that-s-silver-surfing

Hmm ...
 April Fool thread - hillman1
tinyurl.com/3cwpt7g

The BMW joke this year....

Hehe!

Pauline.yorlegg@bmw.co.uk
 April Fool thread - henry k
www.ryanair.com/en/news/child-free-flights-from-october-2011

blog.landrover.com/news/land-rover-provides-solution-to-recent-change-to-tax-disc-legislation-784.html
Last edited by: henry k on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 10:07
 April Fool thread - Zero
Being Ryan Air, its probably not a joke.,
 April Fool thread - rtj70
And mention in the BMW joke about:

- the BMW Political Roundel Attachment Tag, that let owners show their partisanship during the general election, and
- the Canine Repellent Alloy Protection that stopped dogs from relieving themselves on customers’ wheels
Excellent! Well up to their high standard.
 April Fool thread - VxFan
>> The BMW joke this year....

Here's a previous one.

tinyurl.com/3s2gmot
tinyurl.com/4af4t2s

(links to worldcarfans.com)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 10:21
 April Fool thread - hillman1
tinyurl.com/3fcek2q
The full Bath submarine story:
www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Sub-weir-military-training-blunder/article-3400166-detail/article.html
Last edited by: Focus on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 10:56
 April Fool thread - sherlock47
I am surprised that the newspaper article did not reference the recent nuclear sub/Scotland event. Just to add unbelievable detail.

tinyurl.com/3k7bl4q

sorry DM link!
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 11:04
 April Fool thread - Dave_
Rob Brydon is covering the Ken Bruce show on R2 this morning... in Ken Bruce's voice, throughout. The passive aggressive tone has been a little less subtle than usual this morning.

The R2 webcam is focussed on a photocopy of a photo of Bruce, sticky taped to the ceiling.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 11:20
 April Fool thread - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12923112

1 April 2011 Last updated at 00:08

PR department or BBC having a laugh?
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12923112 (Electric Rolls Royce)
>>
>> PR department or BBC having a laugh?

That's what I thought initially, but there are links to it being shown at a motor show, and the story is still there. Also I'd assumed that the name they gave for the chief exec of RR, "Torsten Muller-Otvos", must be an anagram of something silly. But that is the name of the boss.

So I guess it's genuine...?
I read about the RR electric vehicle months ago though. e.g.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3aOCaKj6Y
 April Fool thread - Zero
>> Rob Brydon is covering the Ken Bruce show on R2 this morning... in Ken Bruce's
>> voice, throughout. The passive aggressive tone has been a little less subtle than usual this
>> morning.

And very good he was too, Rob Brydon is a talented and very cruel mimic. It took me a while to twig what was wrong about it, and another while to work how who it was.

He was deliciously cruel to the pop master contestants.
mail.google.com/mail/help/motion.html
I'll almost guarantee that someone will now make that actually work with a Kinect. An excellent ridiculous idea.
The gestures acted out were quite funny. Like sending an email was licking a stamp and sticking it on an envelope :-)

Some of the previous BMW ones have been funny. Some already mentioned.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12932108

April Fool thread - Fursty Ferret
Just got "Ken Bruce" on iPlayer. Absolutely brilliant! A degree of smut I haven't heard since Humphrey Lyttelton, and loved the mickey-taking of the Popmaster contestants.

Can understand why people thought it genuinely was Ken Bruce and that he was just drunk...
It's that time again. Anyone?

I admit it - I fell for the National Trust "coastal erosion has lead to an underwater mansion being re-discovered off the Norfolk coast, now opening 2018". Even the "we are going to give our visitors scuba lessons" didn't ring alarm bells.

My spidey senses must be very dull this morning.

>> I admit it - I fell for the

I think I've fallen for one as well. Saw somewhere that you can play Pac Man on Google maps around the streets of Oxford. I went to Google maps but for the life of me couldn't see the icon that you're supposed to click to start playing. I even went back to the news report to double check I was doing it right.

But as it was announced yesterday, then surely it's not an April Fools prank? Likewise if it's after 12pm it doesn't count either.
Oh blimey. I saw that one yesterday and tried it on the iPad. When it failed I thought that was cos it only worked on a PC so was going to try it today at work...

So, that's two this year then. My spidey senses are officially atrophied.

edit:

NT one is still here:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1355890824938/

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 1 Apr 15 at 12:55
 April Fool thread - No FM2R
Google maps pacman seems to be real, I just played it.

Although I hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it.

support.google.com/maps/answer/6178227?hl=en#hints
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 Apr 15 at 12:57
>> Google maps pacman seems to be real, I just played it.

Well I can't even see the icon that they say is in the bottom LH of the screen.
Just played it too, and suffered the ignominy of being eaten outside my own house. In the game, you understand, not in reality.

Anyway, it didn't work in locked down Waterfox - no icon to start it - but as usual, popped straight into life in Internet Explorer, which of course at the same time in the background sent my shoe size and bank account details to the man next door because it's somehow good for me to have that happen.
 April Fool thread - Dog
I fell for the joke in this mornings Torygraph (on-line edition) that stated (incorrectly) Nigel Farage said children don't play out in the street anymore due to all the immigrants here.
 April Fool thread - Armel Coussine
The front page of today's comic takes a bit of beating, with the claim that a vote for Labour will bring about the end of the world as we know it and plunge us all into poverty. Seems a bit cheeky to take the names of 100 business bosses in vain, but perhaps they sportingly agreed to it. FMR jumped the gun a bit yesterday with a similar threat.

The BMW gumshield ad on the other hand is entirely serious. I'm going to get one to frighten people. Boo!
 April Fool thread - legacylad
I would like a gum shield with the Maserati logo
Latest Forum Posts