Non-motoring > Top of the Pops night - BBC4 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 27

Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Focusless
Currently showing 'Big Hits: TOTP 1964 to 1975', then
Top of the Pops: The Story of 1976
Top of the Pops: 1976
Top of the Pops: The True Story
When the Stranglers Met Roland Rat (not sure this is TOTP related but sounds good)
...and they're now playing 'the carnival is over' by the Seekers - bliss..
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Zero
>> ...and they're now playing 'the carnival is over' by the Seekers - bliss..

Oh good lord, such dross!
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Armel Coussine
Someone told me yesterday that the Stranglers came from Haslemere. Or somewhere like that.

At least I think it was the Stranglers.
The group was originally called The Guildford Stranglers, and operated out of The Jackpot, a Guildford off-licence run by their drummer Jet Black (real name Brian Duffy). Other original personnel were bass player/vocalist Jean Jacques Burnel, guitarist/vocalist Hugh Cornwell and keyboardist/guitarist Hans Wärmling, who was replaced by keyboardist Dave Greenfield within a year.[3] None of the band came from Guildford – Black is from Ilford, Burnel from Notting Hill, Cornwell from Kentish Town and Greenfield from Brighton, while Wärmling came from Sweden and returned there after leaving the band.

Stolen from wikipedia.
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Bromptonaut
Just gone colour - Kinks Lola
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Boxsterboy
Great watching. The hair! The clothes! The really bad dancing by the audience!

Brings back so many childhood memories.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Fri 1 Apr 11 at 21:47
I think some of them were miming.

:)
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Leif
>> I think some of them were miming.
>>

At least they weren't mimsing.
>> At least they weren't mimsing.

Mmm, I don't know - some of those 70s groups... :)

Good programme I thought; interesting comments and a varied selection of music.

Tried to set the freeview box to record the rest of the programmes but got a 'signal too weak' for the first one. Must get that aerial sorted out :(
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Fenlander
Liked the preview programmes but the actual April 1976 TOTP was dreadful. I guess we were all waiting for 1978...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8O3xCpC6M8
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Bellboy
i really enjoyed the programmes
excellent viewing
i hated it

wheres miss piggy..................
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - AnotherJohnH
>> I think some of them were miming.
>>
>>
>> :)
>>

Indeed so.

ISTR a push to get the acts to perform live which ground to a shuddering halt when the one-man-band Don Partridge (?) dried mid song.

But I might be making it up because the internet doesn't seem to know about it..
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Armel Coussine
>> Stolen from wikipedia.

Thank you Zero. One of them did come from Guildford, which is to me somewhere like Haslemere. No doubt in time to come I will learn to discriminate between all these places.

But one of them, as you cruelly point out, came from the world.*

Sob!

* US troops in Vietnam used to talk dreamily of going 'back in the world'.
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - Dog
I enjoyed pictures of matchstick men & maggie may (or, may not) ... well - I enjoyed all of it actually, man.
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - MD
Well...That's a Reason to Believe.
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - RattleandSmoke
Some of that stuff makes is truly awful. A lot of great stuff being realised in the late 70's but much of it had limited commercial success. Blondie was one of the few great bands which did have huge commercial success at the time.
>> Some of that stuff makes is truly awful. A lot of great stuff being realised
>> in the late 70's but much of it had limited commercial success. Blondie was one
>> of the few great bands which did have huge commercial success at the time.
>>
>.thanks for that i didnt realise
so to summarise you like a bloke that chucks daffodils at you
Was just an observation, my idea of good 70's music is very different to my parents! Some people think 1976 of the year that ABBA became massive with hits like Dancing Queen, I see it as the year that Punk really started. I am just so damn annoyed I wasn't around in 1976 to experience it so I have no idea what it was like.

>> so damn annoyed I wasn't around in 1976 to experience it so I have no
>> idea what it was like.

It was crap.
>>>It was crap.

Yep... if you are really generous punk was still mostly crap.
You either get or you don't. There was some crap punk about (the sex pistols included as much as I am a fan they made about four good tracks and the rest was crap) but you can't say the Ramones or the Clash are crap.

You may not like a band but it dosn't mean they are crap.

I do get the sense that the entire punk era is now over hyped but I would not know because I wasn't there.
That's the point Rattle.... there were some good bands with that style/sound around the time and the punk term really did them no favours because... trust me... most punk was rubbish. You see it was meant to be rubbish... that was its point.... it was anti-music.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 2 Apr 11 at 23:12
Indeed, as Fenlander says. Take the Clash, they never really got good till 79, and prior to that we had to put up with crap punk rock in the previous 5 years. Most of the good punk bands were not really punk, but proper musicians.
The Clash just amaze me with as their songs are so diverse. I like a lot of the modern punk bands like Rancid too though and the new wave stuff which came after punk.

I just cannot get into ABBA, as musicians they were really good but the lyrics and songs have no meaning to me. I can really relate to a lot of the punk lyrics, especially the Clash.
i couldnt get into blondie but every male mate i knew wanted to
Blondie or Debbie Harry?
 Top of the Pops night - BBC4 - swiss tony
>> I just cannot get into ABBA, as musicians they were really good but the lyrics
>> and songs have no meaning to me. I can really relate to a lot of
>> the punk lyrics, especially the Clash.
>>

Its that Manchester education again..... ;-)
Latest Forum Posts