Non-motoring > Birthday ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 29

Birthday ! - Ted

My snouts around the country have informed me that a well liked and regular member of our forum has just celebrated an important birthday.

I can't divulge who it is in case SHE becomes embarassed.

So , many happy returns, mystery person !

Ted
 Birthday ! - bathtub tom
I wonder when she'll get her bus pass?

If it's who I think, I was considering prefixing their name with Podgy as they have a tendency to prefix mine with Tubby. As it's their birthday, I won't.

Birthday ! - Bromptonaut
Ah Facebook tells all.

Have a great day MP
 Birthday ! - Armel Coussine
Ties down tarps in force 10 gales?
Prowls the land from Kent to Wales?
Really soppy about her cat?
Goes berserk with a baseball bat?
Lady trucker, our old mucker?

OW! All right then, our young mucker...
 Birthday ! - Manatee
Happy Birthday, whoever you are :-)
 Birthday ! - Perky Penguin
She doesn't use a tachograph - she has a personal data assistant!
 Birthday ! - MD
I don't think she will be roped in.
 Birthday ! - Leif
Hippy bathday, hic. And whoever the mystery celelebererety is, let's give her a big pat on the back.
 Birthday ! - Zero
Lets hope someone else has baked her cake!
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 2 Apr 11 at 20:02
 Birthday ! - Dog
Why anyone would want to celebrate another year gorn out of their life, beats me :(
 Birthday ! - Leif
>> Why anyone would want to celebrate another year gorn out of their life, beats me

When young you want the years to fly by, and you hate the fact that you look so young. When you get older, the years fly by all too quickly ...
 Birthday ! - CGNorwich
Surely you celebrate achieving another year of life . Once you start ticking off the years until you die you might as well be dead
 Birthday ! - Leif
>> Surely you celebrate achieving another year of life . Once you start ticking off the
>> years until you die you might as well be dead

To be honest birthdays no longer mean anything to me, except I have to take cake in to work, so I get some cake. The only advantage to another year is a little bit of wisdom, or is that a euphemism for a worse memory, more wrinkles, more aches etc ;)

There was a recent study that found that contrary to received wisdom, as you get older you get happier. I think that is true, despite my cynical old get image. So, the lucky person in the OP has got happier. Result.
 Birthday ! - Pat
I thought I'd kept that one quiet on April Fools day too:)

Thanks for the sentiments above, they made me laugh this morning especially AC's verse!

I am officially old now but the bus pass won't be of any use as we don't get busses here.

We spent a delightful day yesterday wandering around garden centres to see what's new this year, and stocking up on bedding plants to fill all the hanging baskets.
Here's a tip from two bored lorry drivers: If you're bored with the local roads which you know just put 4 post codes within a 30 mile radius of home into Tom and let him do the rest:)
We found routes in the Fen we didn't know existed, we never saw a jogger though!
Looking for a late lunch we both remarked that there are so few village pubs left anymore, but found one eventually with some rather good Merlot and a seat outside in the sunshine to linger longer after a good meal and a civilised ciggie!

Today, as it's Mothers Day we're off back home to Leicestershire:)
Real home cooked Yorkshire pudding and as usual, a day wondering if I would actually move back there if the opportunity arose.

After reading Rattles defence of Salford and getting impatient with him, I realise I'm the same with Leicester really. I was lucky enough to come from the borders of Leicestershire and Rutland at Tilton, but I always worked in Leicester and have fond memories of it, although I know well the estates Leif speaks of!

A whole weekend without having to cook, what more can an undomesticated female ask for?:)

Pat

Birthday ! - Dog
>>There was a recent study that found that contrary to received wisdom, as you get older you get happier<<

My ole brother (75) tells me he is contented, but I see it as just being resigned to the fact that he is nearer to the end of his life, than to the beginning, plus he has form of Alzheimer's + Colitis, poor sod.

I orften wonder how people can be happy in this world, unless they are mad, or on drugs, what with the 1000's that have died in Japan, c1m in Iraq, Afghanistan, NATO Airstikes on "the rebels" in Libya etc., etc., etc.

My late friend Laurie Smith, who lived in "perfect isolation" up on Bodmin Moor, surrounded by 30 acres, used to say "if you ever see anyone smiling in Bodmin town, they are either mad, or on drugs" :}

I hope I never end up *happy*, not in this world, anyway.

Last edited by: Dog on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 08:16
 Birthday ! - Pat
I'd rather be happy in this world than risk relying on something better in the next one Dog.

Pat
 Birthday ! - Clk Sec
A belated happy birthday. You don't look a day over 64!
:-)
 Birthday ! - Dog
>>I'd rather be happy in this world than risk relying on something better in the next one Dog<<

Have a nice day, Pat :-)
 Birthday ! - Zero
>
>> I hope I never end up *happy*, not in this world, anyway.

Never fear, you are making a grand job of it so far.
 Birthday ! - Clk Sec
>>Never fear, you are making a grand job of it so far.

He'll live to be 100, though!
 Birthday ! - Dog
I'd like to see 2050, just for the hell of it really, that would make me 98 :)

I remember going to see 2001 A Space Odyssey in 1969 and wondering if life would really be like that.
(what a let down!)
 Birthday ! - Old Navy
Its all down to quality of life, my GP once told me he could keep me alive indefinitely, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

>> my GP once told me he could keep me alive indefinitely, but I wouldn't enjoy it.

'After Many a Summer', Aldous Huxley. A nightmare on this very theme.
 Birthday ! - Skoda
(belated) Happy Birthday Pat!
 Birthday ! - RattleandSmoke
A belated happy Birthday Pat, I thought Ted meant you but wasn't sure :).

My defence of Salford is purely because I went there for three years and have lots of happy memories of the place, I have several mates which liked it so much they decided to stay on and still live there and this is the Coronation Street style Salford I am talking about too.

To trick to staying happy when you get older seems to be to carry on working in some sort of way which you do with your charity and the occasional lorry driving. That is all very well health permitting. That said my 91 year old grandpa seems as cheerful as ever despite no longer being able to walk but he regrets giving up on things too early.

Anyway age is just a number it is how you fee that counts :). I feel both 60 and 21 all at the same time.

>> I feel both 60 and 21 all at the same time.

I feel like that too Sheikha. In my case though the figures would be 150 and 12.
 Birthday ! - Leif
In my case I feel 12 and 60, the first figure being mental age, the second one physical age.
 Birthday ! - Dog
You're only as old as the Woman you feel ;}
 Birthday ! - Alastairw
I tried that dog, but got a slap across the chops for my trouble...
 Birthday ! - Dog
>>I tried that dog, but got a slap across the chops for my trouble...<<

Ah, I see - you obviously don't know how to make a peach cordial then ;+)
Latest Forum Posts