Non-motoring > Sanguinary sciatica Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 9

Sanguinary sciatica - Roger.
My sciatica has reached the point where it is becoming disabling.
today we had to curt short a shopping trip as I couldn't walk without excruciating pain.
"normal" painkillers don't work: has anyone had experience of surgery or other, for treatment of this problem?
 Sanguinary sciatica - Zero
Orthotics.

Sciatica is often caused by poor posture and gait. Orthotic insoles in your shoes can make a good deal of difference.
 Sanguinary sciatica - Harleyman
Agree with that. Might also be worth consulting a chiropractor; I'm fully aware that opinion is divided on this subject, but I can testify that it worked for me when I had what turned out to be a pinched nerve, which effectively is what sciatica is.
 Sanguinary sciatica - corax
>> has anyone had experience of surgery or other, for treatment of
>> this problem?

I had serious sciatica in my twenties. It got to the point where physiotherapy wasn't helping so I had an epidural (yes, that's right, for pregnant women). I was put under general anaesthetic and a solution was injected at the base of the spine. There is a small hole here to pass the needle through. This has the effect of freeing off the trapped nerve. I was only in hospital for one night, but the treatment worked and I was free of pain.

You really need to see a doctor, as you have got to the point where more serious treatment is required. You also need to observe your posture and do some relevant exercises to keep the back flexible after the initial treatment, as sciatica rarely completely goes away once you've had it.
 Sanguinary sciatica - -
Fingers crossed here, i haven't had a real attack for some years.

I found Devils Claw helped no end at the time and friends that tried it have reported improvements with various back problems.

Sanguinary sciatica - Stuartli
>>..so I had an epidural (yes, that's right, for pregnant women). >>

That's not the only use, as you've discovered...:-)

My best mate had one when he had a knee replacement operation just before Christmas. See:

www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u13/u1311_01.htm
 Sanguinary sciatica - Dog
Give Acupressure a go ~ www.ehow.com/way_5542597_acupressure-treatment-sciatica.html
 Sanguinary sciatica - teabelly
Stretching can also help as the sciatic nerve can be trapped by an over tight piriformis muscle. Best way to loosen it off is to sit on the floor cross legged then lean forward as far as you can, gently. Then cross legs other way and repeat.

Sanguinary sciatica - Bellboy
ive had policemans heal for about 10 weeks now
i forget about it until i take my weight of my foot but then try and put the weight back on
i look like penguin from batman when i get up in the morning to wadddle to the toilet
i dont want an injunction im hoping my brain will eventually overcome the pain
 Sanguinary sciatica - Armel Coussine
I've had policemans heal for about 10 weeks now

I once saw a confident young policeman using standard, rigid-leg hard kick by the lock on a front door. Evidently the door was less flimsy than it looked because the poor fellow immediately retired hurt. The condition in his case looked likely to be policeman's groin.
Latest Forum Posts