Non-motoring > I've a 7 inch one ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 17

I've a 7 inch one ! - Ted

Television, that is.
We have 7 inch Visua telly that's now redundant. It doesn't have DTV and it's got no scart socket.
It's a shame it's just in the cupboard and it could be put in the workshop if it can be made to work.
It has a jack socket that takes a jackplug to co-ax converter and it has a multipin socket on the end of a short cable which is permanently attached.
It runs on 12V DC through a transformer or from the caravan battery. I have a couple of cheap digiboxes which I bought at the time the area was converted.

Is there any way of getting it to do it's former job? I hate chucking stuff like this away.
A nice feature is that it will play either stood up or hanging upside down. We used it in the kitchen fixed under a wall cupboard.

Ted
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Manatee
If you have an aerial socket a standard digibox with RF output and a coax lead would make it useful?

I have such a TV in the TV in the caravan. and that's my plan.
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Stuartli
See:

www.radioandtelly.co.uk/noscart.html

Do either of your digiboxes have RF modulation?
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Mike Hannon
I've got one like that - bought it years ago for 20 euros when we thought we really ought to have some sort of TV.
Luckily, if that's what floats your boat, it has a radio as well so it isn't entirely useless.
A jack plug/Belling Lee aerial plug adaptor and any digibox with an RF output will make it work again, I guess.
 I've a 7 inch one ! - rtj70
>> Luckily, if that's what floats your boat, it has a radio as well so it isn't entirely useless.

Until they turn off analogue radio transmissions in 2015.

I could get a DAB option for the radio on my next car but I'll only have it until 2014. And only listen to Radio 2, Radio 4, ClassicFM and Five Live (the latter would be clearer on DAB I know)... so whoever gets this after me will have to upgrade the radio/satnav.

Of course DAB ought to be standard on all cars now.
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Zero

>> Of course DAB ought to be standard on all cars now.

Nooooooo!

The fact it isnt is the main reason we havent all been forced to DAB and had the
FM frequency turned off!
If they switch off the analogue signal then new cars ought to have radios that still work.

On the other hand the DAB implementation is rubbish and we're better off with FM IMO for cars.
>>Of course DAB ought to be standard on all cars now.>>

My mate's new Mondeo has one.

I've a 7 inch one ! - VxFan
>> >>Of course DAB ought to be standard on all cars now.>>
>>
>> My mate's new Mondeo has one.

Vauxhall fitted DAB head units to some of their 2005 Vectra-C models.

6 years on and DAB in cars still hasn't become popular. Neither has it in our household - all the radios are still analogue.
Does DAB work well in fast moving cars?
>>6 years on and DAB in cars still hasn't become popular. Neither has it in our household - all the radios are still analogue.>>

One of my offspring has used a Pure Highway DAB radio tuner with RF modulator successfully for about two years in his car - no need to get rid of the FM unit...:-)

See: www.pure.com/products/product.asp?Product=VL-60905
Not very neat though is it. But does it work okay? What about reception and signal strength?
>> Not very neat though is it.

Nah, messy. If I want Dab I will fit a Dab head unit.
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Alanovich
If I want Dab I will fit a Dab head unit.
>>

I've done this in my Galaxy. Works brilliantly at speed and over long distances (well, M4 corridor). Patchy reception in central Reading oddly enough, but that could be sorted by installing an external roof mounted aerial (the aerial in my Galaxy is built in somewhere, and the DAB installer fitted a "splitter" to it to give me the DAB signal alongside FM and AM.

I can now listen to 6 Music in the car, and also 5 Live in the evenings when AM reception goes up the pictures (why is that??).

Bonza.

Next car I buy will have a factory fit DAB head unit, or at least the option to upgrade to a manufacturer's unit. I'd even buy an Insignia for this reason.

>> I can now listen to 6 Music in the car, and also 5 Live in
>> the evenings when AM reception goes up the pictures (why is that??).

The longer wavelengths of the AM band are more likely to be reflected back down by the ionosphere and they can travel further than FM frequencies. . The Sun induced lower ionosphere layers disappear at night, leaving the higher ones in place. SO poor old Radio 5 live, clear during the day, get swamped with lots of other stations from far away. Its made worse by lower ionosphere layers being formed in the sunny parts of the word and hence being bounced into areas with no sun and then hence on to you.

If you want to DX round the world, you have to choose your listening times as areas of the world to be received vary by time.

That is why Radio Luxembourg only used to broadcast to the UK at night!
 I've a 7 inch one ! - Redviper
Got DAB in my Vectra

- Works Brilliantly
- Only time it cuts out is if I go into the North Yorkshire Dales.
- Richmond, Catterick areas works fine.
- I can press a button to revert it to FM if I wish, but I wish it did it automatically.
- Have used it at speed, and all the way down to Devon / up to Edinburgh - never cut out.
- Do i need it? well it came with the car, and i dont listen to commercial channels but I would have it again definatly

Recommended - Yes
Last edited by: Redviper on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 12:21
>> Not very neat though is it. But does it work okay? What about reception and signal strength?>>

It's quite small, about the size of a satnav or less. The offspring seems perfectly happy.
 I've a 7 inch one ! - spamcan61
>> >> Luckily, if that's what floats your boat, it has a radio as well so
>> it isn't entirely useless.
>>
>> Until they turn off analogue radio transmissions in 2015.
>>
That isn't going to happen in 2015, I reckon 2020 at the earliest.

As others have said, find a Freeview box with an RF modulator, or take the messy cheapskate route like me, and use a dead VCR as a SCART to RF adaptor.

Latest Forum Posts