Non-motoring > Cycle tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 20

Cycle tyres - Hard Cheese

I need some new tyres, hybrid type so good on the road with minimal rolling resistance as well as a bit of tread for the off road bits, size 700c x 40 though could go to a 38 or 35 section.

Any recommendations in respect of tyres and also good value vendors?

Thanks.
 Cycle tyres - Old Navy
We have these on both our bikes, bought at Halfords. Not had a puncture and wear well, used on road and dirt cycle tracks.

www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-reflective-kevlar-city-tyre/
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 11:09
 Cycle tyres - Old Navy
>> We have these on both our bikes, bought at Halfords.
>>

Didn't say that well, the tyres were bought a Halfords, so they stock them.
 Cycle tyres - Duncan
>>>> www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-reflective-kevlar-city-tyre/
>>

That is exactly the tyre I have just bought. Direct from Wiggle. Excellent service. IIRC next day delivery - free.
 Cycle tyres - Focusless
>> IIRC next day delivery - free.

I think you have to pay extra for that, although you might be lucky.
 Cycle tyres - Duncan
>> >> IIRC next day delivery - free.
>>
>> I think you have to pay extra for that, although you might be lucky.
>>

No. I did it the other way round, I opted for the free, 'slow' delivery. I was delighted to find the stuff arrived the next day (I think).
 Cycle tyres - Focusless
I've used Wiggle in the past:
www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/tyres/

They have a free (slow) delivery option. No problems on the couple of occasions I've had to return something.

No recommendations for brands - I usually go for the cheapest :)
 Cycle tyres - Bromptonaut
Another vote for marathons. Not the lightest tyres by a long chalk and a pain to fit (on account of their battleship construction).

They have however kept the p*nct*re fairy away from my Bromptons and my tourer for a very long time.
 Cycle tyres - Focusless
>> Another vote for marathons.

Now you come to mention it, I think that's what I got last time, and that was quite a long time ago. So I'd recommend them as well.
 Cycle tyres - bathtub tom
Whatever happened to Michelin World Tour?
 Cycle tyres - Fenlander
I run these Michelins on and off road. Never really think about the rolling resistance... I just pedal.

www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/News/photos/News-banner/Michelin-Wild-Grip%27R-Tyre.jpg
 Cycle tyres - Old Navy
>> I run these Michelins on and off road. Never really think about the rolling resistance...
>> I just pedal.
>>
>> www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/News/photos/News-banner/Michelin-Wild-Grip%27R-Tyre.jpg
>>

They would shake your fillings out, who, other than the people with a mountain on their route needs a mountain bike or tractor tyres?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 12:32
 Cycle tyres - Fenlander
>>> who, other than the people with a mountain on their route needs a mountain bike or tractor tyres?

Just a habit from the many years spent cycling off-road in company of a horse & rider. They feel *normal* on the road to me and the moment you venture onto tracks come into their own.

Thanks for the comments guys, I agree re the filling shakers ;-)

I have ordered some CST Selectas with Kevlar from Chain Reaction Cycles, a good deal, I will report back here.

Cycle tyres - Soupytwist
Bit late now Cheddar's ordered some but I've got some of these on my bike, they're good

www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-travel-contact-city-mtb-tyre-and-tube-set/

I have fitted the CST Selectas, all seems well, smooth on the road though enough tread to make them suitable on the tracks.

A great deal from Chain Reaction Cycles, £7.98 each, these are with Kevlar, without Kevlar are £5.98 , special prices.

Cycle tyres - Bigtee
Where do you get tyres for wheel barrows?
 Cycle tyres - rtj70
>> Where do you get tyres for wheel barrows?
>>
Have you worn yours out? They come with a bit of tread ;-)
 Cycle tyres - Bigtee
LOL... No there cracking on the side walls and big splits so one day it will pop when i need it the most.
 Cycle tyres - Old Navy
A well known search engine shows plenty of suppliers, including many on a well known auction site.
 Cycle tyres - Duncan
>> LOL... No there cracking on the side walls and big splits so one day it
>> will pop when i need it the most.
>>

Buy a solid one?
Latest Forum Posts