Non-motoring > Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 93

Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Runfer D'Hills
Some woman along the road has put a flyer through the door today. Potted version being "does anyone mind if we have a street party on "our" street on the 29th aka Royal wedding day".

Yes actually I blinking do mind. Now I'm a bloke, quite an old one too. I should just shove a return note through her door telling her that I don't want a ruddy party and that while I have nothing against the Royal Family, I really couldn't care less about their weddings and certainly don't want my access to my property compromised by a bunch of people who think it's still the 1950s. I should stand up and be counted. Problem is my wife won't let me...

Think I'll get some manure delivered on the 28th...

Bah !

:-(
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Skoda
Come on Humph.

Royal family never interested me, neither for or against them. Maybe slightly for since it's a tourist attraction but that's about the extent of my interest. Then Prince Willie came along, and I thought, he seems a nice chap, liked his mum too. That's about the end of that.

Then Kate came along...

Phwoar! I'll be watching from a beer garden somewhere, hoping and praying for a boob slip or something :-)

Street party? Rock on! :-)
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Old Navy
I will be out of the country on the day :-)

Unfortunately TV crosses oceans. :-(
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Dog
29th you say ... April hey, well - the weather will put paid to that idea then.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - CGNorwich
Bad day was it? Not a fan of royalty but a street party actually sounds quite nice and if someone is prepared to organise it good for them. Relax have a beer and and a corned beef sandwich and pretend it's 1955. You might even enjoy it.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Zero
>> Bah !
>>
>> :-(

What Face Ache!, you miserable old get!

Its a party FFS! No driving, Lots of booze, get drunk, show yourself up, insult the neigbours, make a pass at someones wife, BE A MAN for gods sake!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 19:44
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Leif
Zero said:

>> What Face Ache!, you miserable old get!

Priceless.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - BiggerBadderDave
"get drunk, show yourself up, insult the neigbours, make a pass at someones wife"

That's the motto on my coat of arms.

Every now and again on a Summer evening, a couple of the blokes on our street will start drinking on the front, wind the car windows down and put the stereo on. Within a couple of hours there'll be 50-odd people standing around chatting and drinking and it will go on till the early hours. Fantastic fun, who cares what the reason is???
>> "get drunk, show yourself up, insult the neigbours, make a pass at someones wife"
>>
>> That's the motto on my coat of arms.

inebriari, inordinate, iniuria plebis, fornicari.

there you go Dave, there is your motto.
"inebriari, inordinate, iniuria plebis, fornicari"

You're a genius, you are Zeddo
Oh alright then, bring it on. Remind me how you do this again Dave? I should be able to pick it up by the end of the month...

:-))

www.youtube.com/watch?v=003_ulzGw4I
ROFL!
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Clk Sec
>>Oh alright then,

Not such a party pooper after all.
"Remind me how you do this again Dave?"

You see, you guys may laugh at me, but did you read what Betty wrote?

"Man there is nothing more sexy than cowboys dancing or doing anything and my oh my they are good... ...save the horse and ride the cowboy Yeeee Haaaaa"

And there is no shortage of Bettys in the world let me tell ya.
Yeah but, Have you seen Betty? She's a right heffer.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Crankcase
>> Yeah but, Have you seen Betty? She's a right heffer.

Is Betty the one with "Ready for sex" written all over her face and "better bring a paper bag" written all over her body?

Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - VxFan
>> Yes actually I blinking do mind.

Grumpy, what are the views of your 6 pals?

;o)
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Leif
Bah humbug. Same here. leaflet through the door, nicely printed too. They've even got permission to close the road on the day. I hope one of the organisers has a heart attack and the tables and chairs in the road prevent the ambulance getting to them, and they die. That'll teach them. Okay, I'm kidding, but I really really hate this toady to a royal, "gawd bless you sir for visiting your unworthy and 'umble subjects, may gawd bless all who sail in her". Arrrgghh. Mind you, there must be some form of anti-celebration. The problem is that I don't dislike them personally, and I wish them well. I just don't like the fawning, and obsequiousness, and I don't see why we should be bothered.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 00:58
Dont consider the reason, just consider the event itself. Its rare enough that any community gets itself together for a spot of jolity, so dont worry about the flap eared family, and think about the sociability of it.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Stuu
The street where my parents live has a street party every year. Every year I got asked to go, every year it turned out I had work on - at the local cinema, making my way through a big bag of maltesers watching anything that gets me away from chummy neighbours who wouldnt urinate on you if you were on fire for the rest of the year.

The wife has talked me into watching the wedding on TV though, or rather badgered me until I submit. I quite like a wedding an the bride is a bit of high class totty atleast, less like a posh horse than the majority. Of course to really pull the viewers in, we need Prince Chuck to arm wrestle Wills for the throne, now that I wanna see :-)
I've only just discovered that there is some sort of a Royal Wedding and apparently there's a day off work. For the love of god. I'd much rather be in the office. Actually, I think I will be.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - RattleandSmoke
I am looking forward to attending the facebook event a few of my mates have organised. It has a swear word before "the royal wedding".

I don't have a problem with the wedding or who's starring in it. I do have a problem with being sociable with this lot round here though. Can't imagine the conversation extending much beyond the privations of company car tax, choice of schools, conservatory sizes / tiling options and the availability of local jobs in IT...

Ah well, so long as they don't block my drive or shriek too loudly when they've had a skinful of cheap californian plonk...

Bah !
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - DP
The Royal Wedding is a marvellous occasion.

Without it I would need to use up four days worth of holiday to get eleven consecutive days off, instead of the three I will be using up because of this event. :-)
hehe :).

To be honest I really don't have any strong thoughts either way, I won't be watching it I will be driving all day (no traffic) but I have nothing against Will and Kate at all. I just don't really want to watch a couple of posh twits get married it is too happy.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 4 Apr 11 at 22:06
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - teabelly
Sensibly the locals here aren't that interested and the road is a bus route anyway so no chance of it being shut.

I'd hire a large PA and play Black Sabbath really loudly until they bog off out of your way :-)
Nicole and some of her friends are going to gather at a house where the husband is away on work, open a crate of chilled prosseco, trays of Waitrose canapés, and all bitch about the brides and guests dresses!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 00:56
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Hard Cheese

We're having a street party !!

If I was hosting one I would play the entire Never Mind the ****** album on back to front then and then maybe play the Smiths "queen is dead" album back to back too :).

Having said I do with them well I am just not going to get into all this street party stuff.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - MD
You're lucky..........We don't have a Street.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - legacylad
or a pavement
we live in a cardboard box in t'middle o t'field
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Ted

There was one further down the road for the minellium but it didn't involve us proles at the rough end. It did mean we could stagger out at midnight and watch their fireworks without being run over.

We just had a damn good foodfest and pizz up.

I quite like the young couple, I certainly wouldn't climb over her to get to Humph. It'll be another day off work...oh no, I don't work. I'd like to see the Queen in a leotard cage fighting with Big Ron...if he's out by then.

It'll probably be on our telly so I'll raise a small glass of sweet sherry to them because we have something in common.......we were married in a Cathedral ! There was no time off for me though...I still had to do my duty that night !

Ted
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Cliff Pope
What's the minimum number for a street party? Can one isolated house on a minor country lane have its own party?
>>I'd hire a large PA and play Black Sabbath really loudly until they bog off out of your way :-)<<

Add some early Deep Purple & King Crimson, just to make sure they get the message, like.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Clk Sec
By 'eck, there's some party poopers on this thread...
:-(
 Oh marvellous...a "street party" :-( - Runfer D'Hills
It takes decades of training and practice to be this cynical you know. Don't knock it...

:-)
 Oh marvellous...a "street party" :-( - Fenlander
>>>I'd hire a large PA and play Black Sabbath really loudly

Agreed... when our girls have their monster PA summer garden party each year I always spend ages setting the gear up using Black Sabbath etc until they plead with me to give the pensioners music a rest and move over to GaGa, Jessie J, Pendulum etc.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 09:39
 Oh marvellous...a "street party" :-( - Zero
Where are you moving to?
 Oh marvellous...a "street party" :-( - Fenlander
Have no worries... we'll keep north of Biggleswade. Sadly our yearly *Party in the paddock* will have to end once we undertake this house/lifestyle shift for the next few years.... I'll keep the PA in the loft just in case we get a garden hummer next door..
Early Deep Purple, appropriate for an April splicing ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=wok0fV4Fp7w
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Fenlander
Excellent.

There are some amazing early Deep Purple clips turning up on youtube... not their best song but what brilliant video/sound quality at this rehersal from 1971...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETeumVKeyqQ&feature=related
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - spamcan61
>>
>> There are some amazing early Deep Purple clips turning up on youtube... not their best
>> song but what brilliant video/sound quality at this rehersal from 1971...
>>
Thanks for the headsup, some gems there.
>>not their best song but what brilliant video/sound quality at this rehersal from 1971...<<

Amazing stuff! ... the neck of that Fenlander Stratocaster is well worn :)
>> >>not their best song but what brilliant video/sound quality at this rehersal from 1971...<<
>>
>> Amazing stuff! ... the neck of that Fenlander Stratocaster is well worn :)
>>

Ritchie used to scallop the neck between the frets, so even when nearly new his Starts looked old. I saw an interview with him (think it's on Youtube somewhere); he'd spent three days scalloping the neck on a Strat, then gave it to his guitar roadie to take to a guitar shop to have the frets sorted out. The guitar shop not only files down the frets, they also re-profile the neck to remove the 'worn' parts. Ritchie is not best pleased. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when his guitar roadie broke the news to him.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 11:43
>>Ritchie used to scallop the neck between the frets<<

I wondered why mine didn't sound like that :)

My Strat is a 62 re-issue and has exactly the same headstock as that one, so I'd guess his is a proper 62 jobbie.
>> >>Ritchie used to scallop the neck between the frets<<
>>
>> I wondered why mine didn't sound like that :)
>>
>> My Strat is a 62 re-issue and has exactly the same headstock as that one,
>> so I'd guess his is a proper 62 jobbie.
>>

Here's how to scallop Ritchie style:-

steves-strats.co.uk/neck.aspx

don't think I'd try it on my pride and joy!
Pah!

Call that guitar playing? Listen to and watch this. I doubt Ritchie could play the bass counter-melody and the tremolo melody at the same time,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8d-5gCGlYg

The key changes from minor to major make this an uplifting piece.

Cant find a clip of it done by Segovia who does it with more tempo.
When I hear that sort of thing played in a cafe I walk on by.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Snakey
I care as much for the royal wedding as I do for the olympics :-)

Fortunately I will be at work on the day of the wedding...
>> When I hear that sort of thing played in a cafe I walk on by.

Even if it was Hendrix playing it?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctO_j6j1NVA&feature=related
Always drawn to the sound of a strat more than an acoustic.
>>Pah!

Call that guitar playing? Listen to and watch this<<

Very nice! ... being a medicine man, I would compare that to Valium/Librium,
where as Deep Purple etc. is Prozac/Seroxat.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - devonite
that Hendrix clip would be Senacot then! - terrible!!
Last edited by: devonite on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 13:42
>>that Hendrix clip would be Senacot then! - terrible!!<<

ipod to sennapod then :-D
Believe it or not, I only found out today that the forthcoming wedding is between prince billy and kate, I'm not in the least bit interested in who it is really, but for some strange reason I had assumed it was prince teddy :}
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - R.P.
Seems we now live within about six miles from them (as a big yellow Sea King flies) - doubt whether be many parties here...probably be out on Phase 2 of the big Census round-up
Go get em PU, damn militants are trying to disrupt the country, hunt them down!,
>> Believe it or not, I only found out today that the forthcoming wedding is between
>> prince billy and kate, I'm not in the least bit interested in who it is
>> really, but for some strange reason I had assumed it was prince teddy :}

Believe it or not, until I read your post I didn't know there was a prince teddy.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 21:40
My wyfe knows everything, see, she reckons Prince Edward has been married about 10 years!

Prince William is losing his heir I see ~

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-494416/Hair-raising-moment-Prince-William-reveals-bald-spot.html

Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - R.P.
"Whether he is on or off Army duty"

It must be a particularly dumb hack - clue number one he flies a big yellow helicopter from an RAF base.

>>It must be a particularly dumb hack - clue number one he flies a big yellow helicopter from an RAF base.<<

Well - it is the DM, Pugley. :-D

Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - helicopter
For once I believe a 'dumb hack ' has got it right Woofer......

William is an Army Officer , commissioned into the Blues and Royals who just happens to be 'on loan ' to the RAF and allowed to play with big yellow helicopters, probably because his Gran owns the company.......
funny how the other younger prince Charles progeny

a: Does not look like his brother
b: Does not have the same hair (and hereditary hair issues)

not suggesting anything here of course.
"not suggesting anything here of course."

Don't look at me, I was too young at the time.
>>funny how the other younger prince Charles progeny<<

I reckon you could be onto something there Cap'n Z ... Billy is quite obviously a chip orf the old block (head),
but Harry is totally different, but then saying that, I had an orange roan cocker who's sire & dam were both b&w,
not that I'm comparing the royal family with k9's, you understand.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Alanovich
The known presence of a ginger sire in the life of the " Princes' " mother at just the right moment is a bit of a giveaway, really. To carry on the canine theme, it stands out like a dog's, er, well, you get the picture.

Should the ginger one ever attempt to ascend the throne, a legal challenge would make quite the spectacle.
>>The known presence of a ginger sire in the life of the " Princes' " mother at just the right moment is a bit of a giveaway<<

I'll have to consult the oracle (my wife) on that one, I was more interested (at the time) about the cause of death, and I could well imagine that the gingerous one could well feature in the equation, somewhere.

Aren't you Ginger, Alanović (the plot thickens!)
>>I'll have to consult the oracle (my wife) on that one<<

James Hewitt was born in Derry, Northern Ireland, but grew up in Kent and Devon,
he's about 6 years younger than me.
I think he had it in for Charlie!
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - swiss tony
>> I think he had it in for Charlie!
>>
Allegedly he had it in someone.....
I doubt it would ever get off the ground ..... Ginger hair is a Spencer family trait

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2273498.stm
But ginger hair is a recessive gene and needs to be carried by both parents for it to manifest itself in the offspring.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Armel Coussine
>> a Spencer family trait

Perhaps, and perhaps present in the Windsors too.

I am uncomfortable personally with public speculation concerning those still living on matters of this sort. It has the potential to be wounding to individuals. It isn't kind.
I think it's a perfectly vaild line of questioning when the subject concerned has a very real chance of becoming this country's Head of State as a result of his accident of birth.
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - CGNorwich
"I think it's a perfectly vaild line of questioning when the subject concerned has a very real chance of becoming this country's Head of State as a result of his accident of birth."

Doesn't it constitute treason? Wouldn't like to see any forum member hanged, drawn and quartered
>> Doesn't it constitute treason?

No.
"It isn't kind."

That's a bit pansyish for you AC. Are you unwell?
>> Are you unwell?

No more than usual. And usually the worse I feel, the more likely I am to behave harshly towards others.

There are two people who stand to be hurt by this sort of talk, and I have nothing against either of them. They must both possess a sort of environmental thick skin, but these matters penetrate well under the skin, where we can assume that normal human feeling still exists. This drip, drip, drip of snide, wiseass comment has of course been going on for years and they are probably used to it. But I would be ashamed of contributing to it with some braying public comment.

There may be a third person who revels in all this and enjoys it. From what I have seen of him I wouldn't want to help make him any happier than he already is.
who? not referring to Mohamed Abdel Moneim Al-Fayed are we? Tovarich Alanovich loves him deeply now he has dumped a magnificent statue of Michael Jackson outside craven cottage and made the club the laughing stock of the premier league! (chortle)
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 13:55
>> not referring to Mohamed Abdel Moneim Al-Fayed are we?

Certainly not. He's nothing to do with it.
Loved the comment by Omid Djalili about the Michael Jackson statue...

It looks nothing like Michael Jackson.....

...... but then neither did Michael Jackson......
>> a magnificent statue of Michael Jackson outside craven cottage and made
>> the club the laughing stock of the premier league! (chortle)

The consarned thing is actually inside the ground. Were it outside, I imagine it would not be there for very long.

But I'll take it all day up, over a pair of giant plastic turrets. Or even a running track. (Chortle.)
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Bromptonaut
>> The consarned thing is actually inside the ground. Were it outside, I imagine it would
>> not be there for very long.

My spurs fan mate reckons MJ is much better value than the £50m statue down at Stamford Bridge.
>>My spurs fan mate <<

that says it all!!
>> the £50m statue down
>> at Stamford Bridge.

Very good. The true laughing stock of the Premier League.
Laugh whilst you can! ;-) - Yossi`s back now! and he knows how to spoon feed him the goals! - be afraid - very afraid! ;-)
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Iffy
...Or even a running track. (Chortle.)...

Or relegation.
Insult to injury, Iffy.

Well done.

It looks like we'll be getting to show off our magnificent effigy of The Great One in Europe next season, by means of the Fair PLay League.

Shamone!
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Iffy
...in Europe next season...

If we are not careful, the only way we'll get to Europe is on the pre-season tour.

Crying shame we've been wiped up by Real - I don't think they are that good a side.

Too good for us, obviously.
You'll be there, but in the Europa League. A far more satisfying competition in my book, anyway.
>> You'll be there, but in the Europa League. A far more satisfying competition in my
>> book, anyway.

If its the only book in the library, it would be wouldn't it!
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Roger.
"Hold my horse's head", said the Major..............................
Last edited by: Roger on Tue 12 Apr 11 at 08:59
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - Ted

>> Believe it or not, until I read your post I didn't know there was a
>> prince teddy.

Prince Teddy alive and reasonably well, living here in the Utopia that is Manchester !

Ted
>>
 Oh marvelous...a "street party" :-( - sherlock47
www.youtube.com/lifesforsharing/?WT.mc_id=ON_CM_E_Wedding_Apr11

A little previous maybe, but....
Latest Forum Posts