Non-motoring > Chris Tarrant Radio 2 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 32

Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Pat
Is anyone else lisening?

He's playing some fantastic music this afternoon.
Def Leppard, Bob Segar, AC/DC, Joe Cocker all of which got me headbanging in the privacy of my kitchen;)

I knew I could still do it, but I've got a headache now:)

Gary Moore now!

Pat
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Boxsterboy
His breakfast show on Capital Radio years ago was superb - (nearly) everyone used to listen. I know very few people who could name the Capital breakfst DJ now.
I usually stay on Planet Rock while Steve Wright is on but I do like Chris Tarrant...he doesn't take himself at all seriously.

Pat
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Robin O'Reliant
I wish they would pension Wrighty off and give the show to either Tarrant or Mark Radcliff, SW is well beyond his sell-by date.

Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Iffy
...SW is well beyond his sell-by date...

Wright is 'only' 55-years-old, Tarrant is 67.

>> Wright is 'only' 55-years-old, Tarrant is 67.
>>
I was referring to talent, not age.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Zero
SW is deeply deeply boring. Tarrant rarely is.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - scousehonda
For what it's worth (ie nothing) I find Steve Wright very entertaining. But then again the Everly Brothers are my favourite group/band/act/duo.
The Great Man is 68.

tinyurl.com/3u22sp8
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - VxFan
>> I wish they would pension Wrighty off and give the show to Tarrant

Perhaps they could go 50/50.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Dave_
I've found him very entertaining the last couple of days. Tbh I enjoy the whole of Radio 2's output these days, even Jeremy "Daily Mail" Vine at lunchtimes. It's just a shame I no longer work the hours covering Alex Lester's show, he's still far and away the most entertaining for me.
I miss the Dark Lord Dave, and even though I'm up, I always watch the news channel on TV at home.
I must be getting old.

There was something about switching the alarm off in the lorry and turning the radio on to find Alex playing a heavy rock classic before you'd even made it out of bed. Then remembering you were parked in a lay-by with no-one else at the side of you and being able to turn it up full blast was the icing on the cake.:)

Pat
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Badwolf
I had a listen to CT after reading this and I really liked him. Witty, not 'up himself' and played some great music. A definite improvement on SW.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - MD
He was on the day he started.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - apm
I do fondly remember CT's capital show in the 80's, with Kara, very entertaining. He would be a welcome addition to 2.

I have to say I've gone right off 2 recently, though. Don't like Evans (love the Wogan), and resent the fact that they seem to be marginalising 'proper' DJs and replacing with low quality comedians (Lily Savage bloke, Graham Norton, Alan Carr). Even Stuart Maconie has gone (always reminded me a little bit of the God that was John Peel). I do like Lester and particularly Allinson, but they are mostly on in the middle of the night! Bah! I must confess to a great fondness for Planet Rock and Rock Radio Scotland though. Proper music and some good banter too.

Rant over. That feels better.

Alex.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Redviper
Agree, its a shame that Stuart Maconie, and Mark Radcliffe are gone (at least from Radio 2, I think they have gone over to Radio 6, that i thought was going to be closed down by the BBC) brilliant show.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Alanovich
Yes, they're on BBC Radio 6. Good reason to upgrade your car stereo to DAB.

I'm pleased Radcliffe has found a decent partner as I was a great fan of his collaborations with with Mark Riley. The Hapless Boy Lard. The Shirehorses. Great days.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 13:18
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Redviper
Yes the Mark and Lard show was one of the best shows on Radio 1, many a afternoon listening to that pure genius!

I have both of the Shirehorse's albums my partner doesnt "get" them but i love them albums again genius.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Focusless
>> Agree, its a shame that Stuart Maconie, and Mark Radcliffe are gone (at least from
>> Radio 2

Turned Radio 2 on in the car last night as usual on the way back from band rehearsal and instead of Radcliffe & Maconie got Nigel Ogden's 'The organist entertains'. Wasn't quite the same.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 13:19
...I do fondly remember CT's capital show in the 80's...

Pah, I remember Kenny Everett on Capital, now that was a proper breakfast show.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - helicopter
I used to listen to Chris Tarrant on Capital whilst driving ( or riding ) round the M25 south west quadrant ...in the purgatory of the rush hour he usually made me laugh .

I used to love the show - www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMMApy3uYI

Chris Tarrant and Kara Noble -

Also as a motoring link I quite often used to see the flying eye over the motorway - checking out the traffic - IIRC Russell Kane in his little plane. I have not listened to Capital Radio since at least the 1990's.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - DP
Another former avid Tarrant Capital FM show listener when I lived inside the M25.

When he quit, he was replaced by Johnny Vaughan, who I really liked when he presented The Big Breakfast with Denise Van Outen. However, he just never quite 'worked' as a radio presenter in my opinion. I seem to recall his audience figures ended up falling dramatically, by something like a quarter compared with Tarrant's.
>> ...I do fondly remember CT's capital show in the 80's...
>>
>> Pah, I remember Kenny Everett on Capital, now that was a proper breakfast show.
>>

Was it?

I seem to recall that Kenny Everett was on at weekends - Graham Dene was the breakfast DJ for years.
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - CGNorwich
"seem to recall that Kenny Everett was on at weekends"

"From 1973 to 1974 he presented the station's breakfast show, initially alongside Dave Cash, a friend and colleague from Radio London days, and later as the sole presenter."

According to Wikipedeia at least

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Everett
Everett was at his best on Saturday afternoons on Capital.
>> and resent the fact that they seem to be marginalising 'proper' DJs and
>> replacing with low quality comedians (Lily Savage bloke, Graham Norton, Alan Carr).
>>
Bang on.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 18:09
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - Stuartli
Not a great Chris Evans (in the morning version) fan. however, Richard Madeley, standing in whilst the ginger one "covers" the Masters in the States, although playing some great music doesn't, for me, have either the voice or the personality for radio work.
There are not many "real" DJs left anymore, people who started out doing it for fun or pocket money and worked there way up the professional ladder to one of the big radio stations.

They are being replaced by "Personalities" from other walks of entertainment who often know little or nothing about music.
DJing was at its best on the pirate ships, Caroline* and London.. It had a real edge to it. Being illegal helped of course.

*What a huge opportunity was missed when they made the film "The Boat that Rocked" A dreadful waste of screen real estate given the wealth of material available.
>> DJing was at its best on the pirate ships, Caroline* >>

When I was a kid we used to sail past Radio Caroline on our way over to France/Belgium/Holland, and we would always give them a wave. It must have been *really* boring being stuck out there.
>>They are being replaced by "Personalities" from other walks of entertainment who often know little or nothing about music.>>

Madeley appears to know a bit, but got my back up by declaring the other day that a fairly nondescript Faith Hill song was "the greatest country track of the last 10 years".....
 Chris Tarrant Radio 2 - CGNorwich
"the greatest country track of the last 10 years"

Aren't they all the same ? :-)
>>Aren't they all the same ? :-)>>

No.

But you wouldn't turn down a lot of the female artistes...:-)
Latest Forum Posts