Non-motoring > GRRRRRRRRRRRR! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 22

GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Roger.
I HATE self assembly bunkbeds!
Just fixing 'em for an imminent visit by grand-sprogs and after carefully planning the location, find that the head, or ladder, end is not reversible.
Only by placing the bed against a opposite wall can the ladder be accommodated in the narrow space available (just over 3ft wide)
We have had to place the bunks under a window - a pet hate of SWMBO.
A fairly simple operation, while being made, to drill extra holes for dowels and bolts on BOTH bed heads would have sorted it.
As I said - GRRRRRRRRR!
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Bromptonaut
Does the ladder need to be at the head end (or rather, does the child;s head need to be at the ladder end)?

I'm sure my kids used them both ways but small ones with wrigglesome properties are best sleeping feet to ladder.
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Zero
you have a drill, dowels are cheap, make the nessecary modifications yourself.

On another slant. I am thinking about setting up a Flat Pack assembly service. £20 call out charge and £15 per half hour.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Old Navy
I am with Bromptonaut, just turn the grandbrats round. :-)
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - spamcan61
>> you have a drill, dowels are cheap, make the nessecary modifications yourself.
>>
SWMBO bought the offspring expensive cabin beds a few years back (made by Thuka IIRC), these too were designed with the ladder at one end only, lord knows why. 20 minutes with a drill and some big screws fixed the problem.
OK the penny has dropped, The ladder wont fit with the beds in the desired position. Disregard my previous post, don't modify the kids, it's woodwork time. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 18:17
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Dave_
>> I am thinking about setting up a Flat Pack assembly service

Already bindun, methinks:

www.flatpackgenius.co.uk/
www.flatpackamigos.co.uk/
www.flatpackconstruction.co.uk/
www.unflatpack.com/
etc.
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Zero

>> Already bindun, methinks:

Indeed, I never claimed it was a unique idea, but not many round here.
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - BiggerBadderDave
"£20 call out charge and £15 per half hour."

Cool. If you're free this weekend I've got a couple of hour's work for you.
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Runfer D'Hills
This sort of thing Dave?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/greenarrowfl/Superman%20how%20to%20DIY/boot2.jpg
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - BiggerBadderDave
Close Humph.

I just want someone to put my swing up. I'd do it myself but I'm still nursing a shoulder injury from skiing.

tinyurl.com/6ylcvo3
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Dave_
>> tinyurl.com/6ylcvo3

From skiing, you say?? ;)
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - bathtub tom
>>From skiing, you say?? ;)

Probably Spending the Kids Inheritance. Surprised It's not groin strain. ;>)
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Ted

>> On another slant. I am thinking about setting up a Flat Pack assembly service. £20
>> call out charge and £15 per half hour.
>>
>>
>> Manchester branch ready, drill in hand and waiting, Z.

Ted
I'll do the Edinburgh area. Z is not getting any franchise fees! :-)
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Londoner
>>
>>
Ted .... Have Drill Will Travel! :-)
The fastest drill in the (North-) West.
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 5 Apr 11 at 22:15
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Roger.
Thanks to your encouragement, a new 10 mm wood drill, some masking tape as a template, job is now done: the bunks where they should be.
I'm a hero to SWMBO !!!!!!
I'm going to live on those Brownie points for a while!
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Pat
Roger, can I just point out that the ladder will never be used.

Kids much prefer the flying leap type of approach to getting onto the top bunk and the belly flop down to the bottom again:)

Of course SWMBO already knows this but just wanted to test your skills!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 18:07
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Armel Coussine
>>> Kids much prefer the flying leap type of approach to getting onto the top bunk and the belly flop down to the bottom again:)

Pat's right as so often. Flying squirrel when mastered, clambering monkey until then. Athletic leap to the floor (belly flops being frowned on and risky).

Younger children always get the bottom bunk. It's fine until they turn into monkeys at age 3-5. Then they start agitating for promotion.

In the refurbished bunk-bed nipper room here, someone who shall be nameless placed an ipod charger on the glass of a nearby upward-shining trendy damn wall light which made a handy shelf. Turned out that was the source of the toxic fumes that adults couldn't stand and that the ghastly nippers apparently hadn't even noticed. The molten remains of the charger are still fused to the (removed) glass as far as I know.

Hope it hasn't shortened their lives too much. They're worse than real monkeys actually.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 18:44
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Roger.
Pat - it wasn't so much that a ladder was necessary for climbing in, but that it formed an integral part of the support for the top guard rails!
I did not want to be woken by a loud bump in the night, followed by howls of anguish & pain from a seven year old grandson!
Junior grand-sprog is a 5 year old, blonde, blue eyed, beauty who is a truly restless sleeper and the thought of her alternating with her brother in the top, without rails, just didn't compute!
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - sherlock47
Manchester branch ready, drill in hand and waiting, Z.

But just make sure that he does not subcontract out the work to an underemployed and cheaper PC man!
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Alastairw
Younger kids do not always get the lower bunk. When my eldest broke his collar bone in a recent sporting incident he could not climb up, so swapped beds with the youngest. Now that he is healed he prefers the extra privacy of the lower bunk.
 GRRRRRRRRRRRR! - Ted
>>
>> But just make sure that he does not subcontract out the work to an underemployed
>> and cheaper PC man!

Excellent, PMH....I may have a position for a manager going !
Interested ? We should be able to take unknown PC man to the cleaners.

Ted
>>
Latest Forum Posts