Non-motoring > Lidl lemon trees Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 24

Lidl lemon trees - Alanovich
Lidl have some lovely ornamental lemon and kumquat trees in store this week, but they are all labelled as non-edible (the fruits, obviously).

Why?

The lemons on the trees in my local branch are very large and appealing looking.
 Lidl lemon trees - bathtub tom
Have you tried eating a lemon? ;>(
 Lidl lemon trees - Skoda
>> The lemons on the trees in my local branch

:-)
Well spotted, Skoda. They're also appealing.

I'm sure they'd be safe to consume. Can't think of a reason why not.
 Lidl lemon trees - Iffy
...I'm sure they'd be safe to consume. Can't think of a reason why not...

Agreed, although I'm no expert.

There's stuff via Google about ornamental lemons - some grown indoors - which says the fruit is safe to eat.

Lidl lemon trees - L'escargot
Lemon tree very pretty ..........
www.lyricsfreak.com/p/peter+paul+mary/lemon+tree_20107749.html
 Lidl lemon trees - Zero
I picked an orange from a tree in the gardens of Alcázar in Seville. Large, ripe and very plumpish it was. Completely inedible, so sharp it puckered your lungs. Its the ones they make marmalade from!
 Lidl lemon trees - helicopter
so sharp it puckered your lungs. Its the ones they make marmalade from!....

Of course they are ,serves you right Z. Teach you to keep your thieving hands off.

The gardens of the Alcazar in Seville are one of the most beautiful havens of peace and tranquility in Spain if not the world .The surroundings are the most magnificent examples of Moorish architecture and all you can think of is scrumping oranges....... ....philistine :0)
 Lidl lemon trees - Zero
The Alhambra is better!

No I agree, I am real fan of the Moorish culture. Architecture, design, cuisine - all superb.

Found a fabulous Moroccan restaurant in the back streets of Gib, gorgeous authentic food!
I disagree . They are both beautiful in their own ways .

I have visited both Granada and Seville many times

The Alhambra is definitely worth visiting but a lot busier and noisier than the Alcazar gardens IMO.

Seville has many more attractions , the Jewish Quarter of beautiful squares , churches and courtyards, the Plaza D' Espania, The University which was once home to Carmen ,The Triana district for the real flamenco ......etc etc.

Real Moroccan .. Kebab and chips :0)

Lidl lemon trees - Zero

>> Real Moroccan .. Kebab and chips :0)

Ah! Will the real philistine please stand up!
 Lidl lemon trees - Zero

>> courtyards, the Plaza D' Espania, The University which was once home to Carmen ,The Triana
>> district for the real flamenco ......etc etc.

Named after the Emperor Marcus Ulpius Nerva Traianu

You forgot to mention the Museo Plaza De Toros De La Maestranza

Lidl lemon trees - MD
>> so sharp it puckered your lungs. Its the ones they make marmalade from!....
>>
>> Of course they are ,serves you right Z. Teach you to keep your thieving hands
>> off.
>>
>> The gardens of the Alcazar in Seville are one of the most beautiful havens of
>> peace and tranquility in Spain if not the world .The surroundings are the most magnificent
>> examples of Moorish architecture and all you can think of is scrumping oranges....... ....philistine :0)
>>
Shouldn't that have been ?enitsilihP
 Lidl lemon trees - Biggles
Why? - probably been sprayed with something rather toxic to keep the bugs at bay.
 Lidl lemon trees - Runfer D'Hills
Just brought back a memory. Long time ago I used to work in Brazil. Lots of orange and lemon trees line the streets in the towns. Fruit literally falls onto the pavements when ripe. Locals ( and me ) used to pick up the freshly fallen ones if we fancied one. Normal practice there. Would probably be taxed or banned here of course.
 Lidl lemon trees - Zero
>> Just brought back a memory. Long time ago I used to work in Brazil.

I knew it was full of nuts.
 Lidl lemon trees - MD
And some with machine gun bullets through them!
 Lidl lemon trees - Mike Hannon
We spent most of the winter in Menton - the orange and lemon capital of France.
Fresh and very edible fruit really does fall off the trees in the street there and several times I noticed people filling their pockets and even bags with fresh oranges.
When I mentioned this to a friend she said Menton has the world's healthiest beggars.
>> Why? - probably been sprayed with something rather toxic to keep the bugs at bay.
>>

Then a good wash should do the trick, and any new fruits wouldn't be similarly afflicted.
 Lidl lemon trees - Iffy
...Then a good wash should do the trick, and any new fruits wouldn't be similarly afflicted...

Quite so, and a bit of dried pesticide is not going to do you any harm.

I bet we all swallow a lot more noxious chemicals just by walking around and breathing.

They have not been sprayed with anything ... the Seville Orange is bitter and sharp tasting and used to make the best marmalade....

tinyurl.com/5rzmees
 Lidl lemon trees - Iffy
I rather like bitter oranges - I call them grapefruit.

Not as stupid as it sounds, I bought three large, yellowy-orange fruits from Lidl.

The flesh is red, so I think what I have is a 'red grapefruit', but it could be a large 'blood orange'.

Lidl lemon trees - Chris S
Knowing Lidls they've probably just stuck plastic lemons on the branches!
 Lidl lemon trees - Skoda
Come on Alanovic stop keeping us in suspense, have you tried one yet? :-)

I tried Lidl's lemon flavoured anti freeze screenwash in the name of science. The lemon tree's have got to burn less than a few drops of that off my fingers did!
 Lidl lemon trees - Cliff Pope
It's all been mucked around with so much, any tangy fruit now is just somewhere on the citrus spectrum.
Latest Forum Posts