Non-motoring > Pakistani money Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 30

Pakistani money - BobbyG
As previously said, I dont follow politics very closely but I do remember recent threads saying how bad a state the country had been left in and that it would be cuts cuts cuts from now on.

Can someone explain where this money that we are now giving to Pakistan for their weapons and corruption,sorry I mean the education system, is coming from?

And how can the country afford it?
 Pakistani money - Zero
Its called blackmail. Give the people in power money, or the Taliban take control and they light off a nuke at India.
 Pakistani money - Armel Coussine
Nah, nah, it's that Cameron and them old Etonian cabinet ministers and that givin em taxpayers' money and gettin kickbacks, knowImean?

So that's three naff, childish posts. Any more?

:o{

(no offence, or not much, to BobbyG and Zero. But a fairly severe tone does seem to be indicated here)
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 17:39
 Pakistani money - Pat
Wherever it's coming from, we can't afford it.

Pat
 Pakistani money - Skoda
Aid budget, you were spending it on something foreign anyway, it was never to be available for any domestic purpose.

Is it the right foreign outlet to spend it? Who knows, he must have some knowledge we don't.
These arrangements are rewritten time after time in the light of events. But at any given moment they are as it were set in stone, in the context of a huge tangle of international obligations and arrangements. So they 'just happen' as it were.

There's no latitude for a prime minister to think: Their boss is an ugly carphound, I don't like their food and one of them gave my sister some cheek once in a restaurant, so we'll give these funds to someone else. Nor can he think: We're a bit skint at the moment and 70% of the nation is demanding knee replacements, so let's keep it for that.

Politicians in high office DON'T HAVE POWER. They just wield it, with great difficulty and everyone breathing down their necks. No one but a lunatic would be one, capisce?
 Pakistani money - Bromptonaut
Top post AC.
 Pakistani money - Zero
>> (no offence, or not much, to BobbyG and Zero. But a fairly severe tone does
>> seem to be indicated here)

Ok, Tell me, in all seriousness, why Pakistan is worthy of a large % of our foreign aid, when say, the likes of Burkino Faso are not, given that Pakistan is a relatively prosperous country?

It is, genuinely, to pay the Pakistan military to stay pro western. You know you cant say it actually goes into the stomach of those who need it most.

I still believe the foreign aid budget should stay, and I don't actually believe the cause is a bad one, it makes sense, but please don't try and accuse me of being silly, I am just pragmatic.

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 21:18
>> don't try and accuse me of being silly, I am just pragmatic.

I wasn't accusing you of being silly Zeddo, or BobbyG either. Just of being a bit thoughtless and polemical here, as it's easy to be, with the alarmist carp about the Taliban and nukes. I was worried about the thread going the way they sometimes do, with a lot of miserablist stuff about the cuts and how poor and starving we are and a certain amount of veiled xenophobia - not from you Zeddo - about having to give money to inscrutable, tough and slightly scary third-world countries. The point is that they still need, or are held to need, some of our money. We can't control what they buy with it or do with it but it's thought to be a good idea to let them have it. Perhaps wrongly, who knows?

Sorry if I seemed too sharp. You of all people must know it's quite an easy border to stray over in this place.
>> Sorry if I seemed too sharp.

Actually it was damn rude now I think about it.

Heat of the moment, bit of a rush. Sorry though.
 Pakistani money - John H
>> As previously said,
>> And how can the country afford it?
>>
>>

BobbyG, Deja Vu.

I refer you to the replies to your question a few months ago:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=3290&m=66193

Pakistani money - Skoda
Wow, what's with all the sad faces tagged on the posts :-(
 Pakistani money - NortonES2
Delusions of grandeur. As with Libya, Iraq and others. The deluded wish to repay the financial sector/bankers (who derailed the progressive reduction of national debt by their criminal incompetence) by touting the NHS for dismembering. Who gains? Not the public. Guess?
 Pakistani money - BobbyG
So John, are you going to your bank and financial providers to arrange loans to bail out other people and their requests for monies?

Or are you saying, stop the bus, we can't afford it anymore??????

Let's not blame labour, or Tories or whoever, lets not blame EU either, let's just accept that the country is kaput and no party is going to change that.

Its time the country's finances were ran as if they were your own household finances.

Income v expenditure?
Priorities to your household first?
 Pakistani money - Fenlander
>>> let's just accept that the country is kaput and no party is going to change that.

Actually I don't accept that... I have a positive outlook for my remaining years and those of my children. It's going to be hard... but it will be OK.
 Pakistani money - John H
>> Income v expenditure?
>> Priorities to your household first?
>>

1. English people (I don't know about Scots) give money to charity, even if they are skint themselves.

2. English people give money to the Scots despite the dire straits of English finances (to allow Scots to have free University education, free prescriptions, free care for the elderlly, etc.).

3. Pakistan, just like Scotland, is part of the English household - known as the Commonwealth. The Scots played a major part in controlling the empire on behalf of the English imperialists.

Pakistani money - John H
I should add two other points:

1. Oil - hence money spent on to Scotland, Iraq, and Libya.

2. Security - hence money spent on Afghanistan and Pakistan.

p.s. I am going to be away from t'internet for 2 days now, so won't be able to respond until the weekend.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 08:31
 Pakistani money - Cliff Pope
"Politicians in high office DON'T HAVE POWER. They just wield it, with great difficulty and everyone breathing down their necks"

Spot on AC. Acute observation.

Another fact is that none of this money is real anyway. Governments invent it and print it, and splash it around in pursuit of objectives, but it doesn't actually cost anything.

We ship a container load of bits of paper saying £20 on them to Pakistan, but it's useless stuff. They have to spend it somewhere, and ultimately it comes back here again.

Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 08:45
 Pakistani money - Auntie Lockbrakes
Would you rather see the money go to some non-Commonwealth country in the EU, like Portugal? Oops, I see we're up for 4 billion quid there too....
 Pakistani money - Skoda
All drops in the Ocean. Wish the talented David McCandless would do an updated one of these he released a few years ago:

www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/nov/27/billion-pound-gram-inormation-beautiful
 Pakistani money - Roger.
Actually, I'd rather the money stayed in the UK, which is where it was bled from we taxpayers under threats and duress.
 Pakistani money - Leif
BobbyG said:
>>
>> And how can the country afford it?

Pakistan has some rather big bombs of the slightly nuclear variety, and were the government to collapse, some frightfully caddish types might get hold of the bombs, and do some dreadfully naughty things with them. From what I have read, the country is full of factions, and local warlords. There are rumours that some members of the government secretly collaborate with extremist groups.

So giving some money to prop them up is our insurance policy. Or at least that is my understanding. I believe that Israel was not taken too seriously until it gained nuclear weapons.

I think we are cutting back our aid to India. The Conservatives are reassigning aid from developed countries to the truly poor, which seems a good idea to me.
 Pakistani money - -
Bribery, nothing changes except the names.

It's OK i just popped into the bathroom, checked the mirror and tawt is still there, keep working and paying.
 Pakistani money - BobbyG
I read an article in a Daily Express today that I picked up off a train table.

Apparently we also give millions to India who in turn spend their own money on a Space program? So they obviously need our money?

£8bn in overseas aid, mostly going to corrupt countries who are laughing at us for giving them the money.

Further proof to me that all politics is corrupt, bent and it doen't matter what party is in power - they are all as bad as each other.
 Pakistani money - -
it doen't matter what
>> party is in power - they are all as bad as each other.
>>

Spot on, it's a one party state with three houses, (much like the schools they nearly all went to), and one or two misleading offshoots for the disillusioned ex's, like ukip.

Support one of the alternatives and you are branded an 'ist by the vested.
A late friend, a very brilliant Hungarian Marxist, once said to me: 'The two-party system is the perfect one-party system!'

Of course he knew what a one-party system was like having lived under a couple (including the nazis as occupiers). I don't think he was in any doubt as to which was preferable. He had lived here since 1956 after all. Died years ago but I still miss the old boy.
 Pakistani money - L'escargot
I've no doubt that somebody is making a mint from manufacturing the Pakistan Rupee!
 Pakistani money - Iffy
...I've no doubt that somebody is making a mint from manufacturing the Pakistan Rupee!...

It might be banknote printer DeLaRue, who print notes for 150 countries at premises in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.

www.delarue.com/ProductsSolutions/BanknoteProduction/
 Pakistani money - Zero
After their recent security problems De La Rue is currently printing not much for not many!
Waddington made banknotes too.

Seems appropriate somehow, the same firms making playing cards and banknotes.

There's money in banknotes actually. But it's a good idea to get it in front, in some other currency, sometimes.

And wouldn't it send one round the bend, a bit, printing millions of 5, 10 and 100 billion dollar notes worth about the same as toilet paper? Or make one feel a bit queasy anyway. Hyper-inflation is entertaining provided you aren't stuck helplessly inside it. For those who are though it can even be life-threatening, no kidding.
 Pakistani money - Zero
Actually, if you allow hyper inflation to run its course, it eventually cures itself.

Commerce breaks down, the populous learns to return to the pre money basics of bartering, foraging and husbandry, the ruling powers get overthrown (frequently in a violent and b loody manner) and a new fiscal and commercial life is born with a new currency.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 08:38
Latest Forum Posts