Non-motoring > TV shows - "coming up next" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

TV shows - "coming up next" - smokie
More and more documentaries are giving an preview of what you are about to see, and even worse, a precis of what you have just seen. Especially around advert breaks.

I have no problem with getting a recap at the start of a multi part drama of where we are in the plot, but Ade Edmundson in the first episode of The Dales probably took over 20% of the programme time repeating stuff we'd seen and telling us what we were going to see later. It really takes the interest away for me.

Am I the only one who is really irritated by this?
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 7 Apr 11 at 23:13
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Ted
Can I join the club ? It really annoys me to have my time wasted in this way...an interesting programme, like Heir Hunters in the morning seems to have to go through the whole same introduction every day...most people who watch already know what it's about and those who don't will soon pick it up.

Don't get me going about the stupid, frantic, pretentious music they have to play every time a presenter stops talking ! Usually the property related progs are guilty of this.

Ted
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 00:36
 TV shows - "coming up next" - BobbyG
This is a favourite of the police, camera action type programs
Just before the break, whats coming up next, and then after the break, a resume of what happened in the first part!
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Bromptonaut
>> , like Heir Hunters in the morning seems to have
>>to go through the whole same introduction every day...most people who watch already know what
>> it's about and those who don't will soon pick it up.

Only watched that prog once 'cos a colleague pointed out we'd both known the deceased (Charlie Cullum). How much explanation does the concept of tracing unknown heirs take??
 TV shows - "coming up next" - RattleandSmoke
I've noticed this too, I have also noticed how if any documentary mentions Salford they start playing the Smiths as background music. Now the irony of this is most manc bands around that time were actually from Salford not Manchester (New Order etc) but one band was not from Salford and that was the Smiths.

I find a lot of police programmes too hard to watch as they spend far too much playing the same bits. I guess it is just filler.
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Ted

Cheap telly...and we suckers are paying for it...Nitey nite !

Ted
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Clk Sec
>>a resume of what happened in the first part!

I just hit the mute button. It helps.
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Roger.
Heir Hunters.
A ghastly boring program - shots of office workers peering at microfiche & computer screens while greedy "heirs" salivate over getting a few bob - I'd rather watch paint dry.
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 09:49
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Crankcase
You could see this coming years ago and it's only getting worse. It's exactly why we recorded as much "good" stuff as we could and kept it over the years.

Watched a 1981 Horizon the other day, and frankly, it's a revelation compared to the drivelly way they do it today. Similarly we watched the charming "Summoned by Bells", and an episode of Chronicle from the late sixties (which we recorded when they repeated them in the eighties). All simply filmed, well told, no weird camera work, no obtrusive music, no ads, no repeat filler material...

Even if you don't have anything recorded, there's so much archive material out there in various forms that if we want to actually watch something we find it that way.
 TV shows - "coming up next" - -
Time spent watching TV?...now at an all time low in bennet house, if 'twasn't for Charlie's antics in Two And A Bit Men and the occasional film, the thing wouldn't get switched on from one week to the next....live pause/record to filter out ads for the latest anti ageing bio peptides (desperately needed on a 23 year old model) and other programs.

TV shows - "coming up next" - Duncan
>> Heir Hunters.
>>

How does it work?

Your second cousin twice removed dies. You were not aware of their existence. The have left a sum of money, but no will. You are their heir - it would seem.

Mr Smith from Bloggs Inheritances calls upon you and says you are in line for this money, but we want X% to tell you about it.

What is stopping you from telling Mr Smith to go away and claiming it directly yourself?
 TV shows - "coming up next" - CGNorwich
You don't know they exist and Mr Smith doesn't tell you their name until you sign up
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Zero
Daytime TV is mostly rubbish

except

They are now showing Batman (the 1966-68 series)

Never has TV been done in such a fine comic book way.. The writing, comedy, and acting of the villans and heros is beyond compare. Rather than age it has matured into superb camp comedy.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 16:06
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Redviper
Yes im not bothered whats coming up next, next week or what ive just seen

SWMBO watches some thing called Hells Kitchen USA the othe day

Programme is billed for 1 hour

Take out the commercials = 45 min of viewing

Take out 5 min at the start telling us whats coming up = 40 min

Take out 5 min at the end telling us whats going to happen next week = 35 min

Take out the bits before and after each add break telling us what we have already watched, and are going to watch after the ad brake = 30 min of programming

Rubbish - cheap way of filling up airtime
 TV shows - "coming up next" - Alanovich
And yet people still claim that the BBC doesn't offer value for money.
Latest Forum Posts