Non-motoring > Liverpool airport and the Grand National Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dr Prunesqualler Replies: 5

Liverpool airport and the Grand National - Dr Prunesqualler
We need to get to Liverpool JL airport tomorrow lunchtime. From the map it appears that whilst Aintree is not too close to the airport traffic from the Manchester direction would use JUnction 6 of the M62 for both destinations (turn left for one, right for the other)
So, should I be looking for an alternative route to the the airport in anticipation if getting stuck in a queue of race-goers?
 Liverpool airport and the Grand National - Iffy
Depends a little on what you mean by lunchtime.

The first race at Aintree is 1.45pm.

Most of the crowd will be at the course a while before that.

Liverpool airport and the Grand National - Roger.
Horses - good for cat meat!
 Liverpool airport and the Grand National - rtj70
How about using the M56 to junction 11 and then go from there. From South Manchester you'd probably use the M56 anyway.

EDIT: mods, shouldn't this me in motoring?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 10:24
 Liverpool airport and the Grand National - borasport
M56 would mean risking Runcorn Bridge, not something I'd want to do on the way to the airport - if something does happen, it is always major. Even if I lived in Runcorn, i'd probably go M56/6/62 rather than risk the bridge :-)
 Liverpool airport and the Grand National - Stuartli
Aintree is north of Liverpool and the airport at the extreme south.

If I was coming from the Manchester direction I would probably use the M62 all the way through to the A5300 and use this road to go southwards to the A561 and then the airport. Access roads in the area of the airport are good.

Using the M56 means being on the "wrong side" of the Mersey and having to use the potentially snarled up Runcorn bridge to get to the other side of the river.

Most people coming from the east to attend the Aintree meeting would use the East Lancs (A580) or M58 depending on which area from which they are coming.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 8 Apr 11 at 12:40
Latest Forum Posts