Non-motoring > Having a flutter today? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 26

Having a flutter today? - Iffy
Anyone having a bet on the Grand National today?

As a once a year punter, my first task will be to attempt to remember the password for my Paddy Power account.

I usually put £2.50 each way on four or five horses, total stake about £25.

Last year, I made a profit of something like £40 or £50.

Any hot tips?

www.skybet.com/betting/horse-racing/aintree/4.15-aintree.-grand-national--paying-5-places/e12856761.html?&aff=687&SL_RG_Navlink_5
 Having a flutter today? - Manatee
Absolutely not.

Maybe avoid Comply or Die (40/1) only because I have drawn it in the office sweepstake, and experience suggests I won't win.
 Having a flutter today? - smokie
I use to be a betting man and the National is not really a good value betting race - too much risk of upset IMO.

Having said that, I usually do have a flutter, and last year went around setting up lots of "new accounts" with various bookmakers to take advantage of their "free bet" offers - often matching what you stake - so if you were to pick the winner then it becomes doubly worthwhile.

I've not really studied the field but Big Fella Thanks looks a reasonable price to me (14/1 on your list)
 Having a flutter today? - Clk Sec
>>and experience suggests I won't win.

Must be worth a pound each way, then.
One or two fine - and not quite so fine - looking fillies at Aintree earlier this week.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1374468/Grand-National-2011-Aintrees-eye-popping-fashion-girls-Liverpool-Day.html
 Having a flutter today? - Robin O'Reliant
I opened an account with William Hill last year, intending to get back into the habit of a Saturday Yankee but never got round to it. maybe i'll kick start it today, though i usually avoid the National as it'a a bit of a lottery.
 Having a flutter today? - Fenlander
Love watching the National on TV but as lifetime horse people (as opposed to betting people) know it's too unpredictible to bet on... sweepstakes for a laugh are the way to go.

Cheltenham festival is real racing to sort out the good horses.
 Having a flutter today? - Fursty Ferret
I have £10 on the two favourites, so apologies to anyone else who thought to bet on them.

Have successfully picked the winner for 4 years in a row, but first time I've actually put money on it.
Good old Firefox remembered my Paddy Power password - it's ******** - so I've made a note for next time. :)

There was a stray tenner lying in the account, so I've gone a bit mad this year and spent £40 instead of my usual £30.

It was going to be eight horses at £2.50 each way, but I pressed the wrong button and backed Sam Waley-Cohen's horse twice, so it's seven.

This scatter gun approach has worked tolerably well in the past.

...but I pressed the wrong button and backed Sam Waley-Cohen's horse twice...

Just as well I did.

That returned £27.50, plus another £10.63 from Don't Push It gives a return of £38.13 against a stake of £40, leaving me down on the race by £1.87.

I'll cope with the loss.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 17:07
..but I pressed the wrong button and backed Sam Waley-Cohen's horse twice...

Just as well I did.

That returned £27.50, plus another £10.63 from Don't Push It gives a return of £38.13 against a stake of £40, leaving me down on the race by £1.87.

I'll cope with the loss.
 Having a flutter today? - VxFan
>> ..but I pressed the wrong button

The repeat button by the looks of it.
 Having a flutter today? - swiss tony
>> >> ..but I pressed the wrong button
>>
>> The repeat button by the looks of it.
>>
Yes... but nearly 3 hours apart????
 Having a flutter today? - Zero
so he is 2 x 1.87 down now
...Yes... but nearly 3 hours apart????...

The post didn't appear, so I had another go.

Worked well when I double backed Oscar Time.

Having a flutter today? - VxFan
>> The post didn't appear, so I had another go.

Word for word. That's a long time to keep a copy of something you previously posted.
...Word for word. That's a long time to keep a copy of something you previously posted...

It appeared under recent posts in 'my profile', but not on the thread itself.

Software glitch?

With a computer?

Never been known.

Having a flutter today? - Stuartli
>>One or two fine - and not quite so fine - looking fillies at Aintree earlier this week.>>

Class act the Scousers. However, you probably missed this one (second photo):

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/4426307.stm
 Having a flutter today? - Robin O'Reliant
I'd take her over a few jumps.
 Having a flutter today? - Focusless
>> news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/4426307.stm

"One racegoer, Emma Shields, had the warming news that she had won the Looking Good Style Contest.

She is now the owner of a very fashionable Jaguar X-Type"

??
...??...

It's a 2005 story.

The lass, of whom there is no pic, presumably won a style contest in which the first prize was an X-Type.

Jaguar marketed the car as the Jag for women.

Having a flutter today? - Focusless
>> ...??...
>>
>> It's a 2005 story.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks iffy.
 Having a flutter today? - Harleyman
I've put my money on Creosote........

..... good over fences and lasts well.

Taxi!!!
 Having a flutter today? - Dave_
Never been into a bookie's as a punter. Wouldn't know what to do, and that suits me just fine.
 Having a flutter today? - BiggerBadderDave
A few years ago I pulled a horse out of the sweep stake at work, went to collect the then wife and pulled exactly the same horse out of her work sweep stake. I took it to be a sign and bunged £20 on it to win.

Guess what? It won.

Guess what else? It was the year that there were two false starts and the result was null and void. I think all the sweep money went to charities, I can't remember what happened with the bookies, did we all get our money back?
...I've put my money on Creosote...

I'm backing Dusty Carpet...

...never been beaten.
Last edited by: Iffy on Sat 9 Apr 11 at 15:58
 Having a flutter today? - Dave_
Ballabriggs came in at 14-1. Then Oscar Time and Don't Push It.

Just as well I didn't bet, I'd have gone for Don't Push It :(
Latest Forum Posts