Non-motoring > Help needed....again! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 38

Help needed....again! - Pat
I have just spent two hours Googling for something but I'm not getting anywhere as I don't really know what we need.

Yesterday we tried to fit a Weather Vane on to a concrete line post at the top of the garden.
As soon as we started to drill the post a big chunk fell out of it:(

We realise now that the only way to fit the weather vane is to attach a 6' wooden post to the concrete post so it stands about a foot taller than the concrete post and attach the weather vane to that.

The concrete post is tapered at the top being approx 3''x3'' at the top and 4''x4'' further down, and the wooden post is 3''x3''.

We,ve tried the local DIY to no avail for inspiration.

Googled Aerial chimney fixing/huge square Ubolts etc.

What we have in mind is using three wire things that can be tightened similar to small ratchet straps which we have as extra storm scaravanon the cravan awning ( but not bright orange ones!)

We are hopeless at DIY and the situation is getting fraught here to say the least, with me muttering things like 'why does a simple job always turn into a major expensive refit?'

Any suggestions welcome please!

Pat

Help needed....again! - Old Navy
One way would be to get four long bolts (with appropriate nuts) from a DIY shed, while you are there get four repair plates or lengths of of substantial metal strip. If you can't get drilled metal bar drill holes and make up two square clamps. Anything less than substantial metal clamps will not last long. DIY sheds also sell TV aerial fittings but these may be too big, but worth a check.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 10:01
 Help needed....again! - Iffy
It's possible to get 'high torque' jubilee clips.

I've seen some which are sold 'open'.

Three of those evenly spaced would do the job:

www.jubileeclips.co.uk/products-clips-high-torque.aspx

The 'correct' solution is steel band, as used to hold road signs to posts.

I believe most systems need a special hand tool to tension the band, so it will be expensive for a 'one-off'.

Worth asking this company if there are alternatives:

www.surefast-strapping.co.uk/images/pdf/stainless%20steel%20band.pdf?phpMyAdmin=X6BLPO-3I37tf92HQ7554rQOS21
 Help needed....again! - Fenlander
Pat you'd be amazed how well three or four very large plastic cable ties would hold for starters to see how it looks. For a similar problem here I've used very long jubilee clips that were sold for ventilation ducting (might see some in the extractor fan section of B&Q?).

For the ultimate solution go to Boons of Benwick* (if you know them) with a drawing of what you want to clamp and they'll have/make something.

*Boons are a classic example of Fenland endeavour.... they can sort anything mechanical but you have to accept they are one of the few places in the UK the health & safety boys have never reached. I've never seen such a tip of a workshop and yard.

tinyurl.com/3zuzc2f (streetview)
 Help needed....again! - CGNorwich
I think I would forget about the concrete post and just use a wooden pole in the ground. If you use a fence post you can use a post spike.
 Help needed....again! - sherlock47
The people who live opposite must be impressed - looks worse than the average travellers site!

On second thoughts my wife keeps saying our drive looks like this:)
 Help needed....again! - Zero
You cant get sufficient torque on plastic cable ties (by hand anyway, you can pull them tight with a tool designed for the job) and you need to pull the timber tight to the concrete,

Some large jubilee clips (joined together if required) should do it.

Help needed....again! - Ted

If you go down the Jubilee/cable ties road, Pat....I have some stainless steel cable ties about 10 inches long. I attached our washing line pole to a concrete fence post with them.
I haven't used any for a few years so you're welcome to some. They can be joined together to make them longer

Just don't play around putting one round your finger for a joke...they can only be removed with a Dremel/angle grinder cut-off disc........ouch !!

Ted
 Help needed....again! - Dog
This is about the best that I can come up with ~

www.screwfix.com/p/expansion-vessel-mounting-bracket/20531

Cut the jubes to size & fix bracket to Wodens post.

Eh ... I dunno what size the bracket is (doesn't say) but I'm one of those geezers that would make it fit.
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 17:20
Well that makes some interesting reading and thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm only about 3 miles from Benwick so if all else fails that will be the place to go Fenlander. I didn't even think of going to them despite being on the doorstep!

Ted, that sounds like it may do the job fairly easily so if you could pop them in the post I'll certainly reimburse any costs etc to you.

We won't be doing anything now to it until next weekend so my next question will be 'How do you find due North without a compass?':)

I've always wanted a weathervane but I want it where I can see it from my office window so there isn't any other option and there isn't room to put in an additional post either.

Thanks again all.

Pat

Pattie, EMail me your address or ring me.
Let me know how long you need to get right round the project..

Ted
Email on it's way Ted, dinner is burning.....again:)

Pat

>> We won't be doing anything now to it until next weekend so my next question
>> will be 'How do you find due North without a compass?':)

Google Earth, check a map, Moss is on the northern sides of walls and trees, Sun rises in the east sets in the west so at this time of year North is opposite the sun at about 12:00 o'clock (stick a stick in the ground and the shadow points north)

>I've always wanted a weathervane

I have a fish weather sock,
Set your watch back to GMT. Place watch on flat surface Point the hour in the direction of the sun . Bisect the angle between 12 on the watch and the hour hand. That line will point due south.

If you are working at night use the pole star

As Zero says look at your house on Google maps, North is at the top. Your house faces almost due north, slightly offset to the west, about 5 degrees. Your garden faces slightly east of south, but not enough to make any difference.
 Help needed....again! - Dave_
>> my next question will be 'How do you find due North without a compass?

solarempire.co.uk/HowtofindPolaris.aspx

It'll be about 10 degrees to the right of straight ahead, as you look out the front of your house :)

EDIT: CGN, you were in the Scouts weren't you?
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 18:34
Saw something on the telly about putting a blade of grass - or it might have been a cat's whisker - in a bowl of water.

Or it might have been a bowl of something else.

"Saw something on the telly about putting a blade of grass - or it might have been a cat's whisker - in a bowl of water."

You left out the main component, the magnetised needle which you lay on the floating blade of grass. - Not following you into the untracked wilderness
you were in the Scouts weren't you?

No, the Army Cadet Corps. Can take a Bren gun to bits as well as find true north
Get a straight pole, point one end South.....the other end will point to North....Seemples !

Ted
>> Get a straight pole, point one end South.....the other end will point to North....Seemples !

Only if its at 90 degrees to the garden path.
Of course, I hadn't vectored that in, Z. I also omitted to say that this had to be done on the 15th of any month with a Y in it. Making sure the distance, in furlongs, to the equator was exactly twice that of the garden path.

Even more seemples !

Ted
I like the Google maps explanation best but let's get the weather vane up first:)

My MIL told me you did it with a cork on a piece of string and a small bowl of water....but I don't know how it works.

I think I'll take ON's advice as;)

Although I hope his navigation on a submarine didn't rely on Google maps.

Pat
 Help needed....again! - -
Another vote for Jubilee clips, i used them to attach the pole carrying the Union Flag.

They were too short, but opened up and then joined together, two worked fine, useful in that they can be tightened or indeed removed at any time as needed. Worth putting grease on the screw though as they can rust up over time.

Modern truckers eh? ratchet straps my backside, rope it in place with some dollies.;_)

...rope it in place with some dollies.;...

Wish I had a couple of dollies to do a few jobs around here.

Help needed....again! - Clk Sec
Is the washing machine due it's weekly fill?
...Is the washing machine due it's weekly fill?...

Steady, it's only Monday - too early in the week for extravagance.

isn't the taper of the concrete post going to cause problems ? To get the wooden post vertical you are going to need some of spacer.
Someone else can do the trigonometry but no not really, one inch taper over 6 feet (1 in 72) is not going to lean the extra one foot of wooden pole much out of the vertical.

Help needed....again! - bathtub tom
Keep putting folded up fag packets in until it's vertical.
...Keep putting folded up fag packets in until it's vertical...

Smoke enough of a certain type of fag and you'll not care one way or the other.
 Help needed....again! - devonite
it`s not really a Weather vane! it only attempts to show wind direction so it`s a wind vane! and wind vanes are useless for predicting the weather especially if theres no wind!
You would be much better off pegging a bunch of Bladderwrack seaweed onto your line, when it waves around -it`s windy, when it`s soft and limp - it`s raining and when its dried up an crispy -heatwave! - see! far more predictable!
Now there speaks a man who doesn't live in the Fen devonite:)

You can see the weather coming 50 miles away, you just need to know which way the wind is blowing to know if it's going via Bill's Mothers or over here.

I've got a barometer to tell me anything else I need to know:)

Pat

>> I've got a barometer to tell me anything else I need to know:)

I have an Iphone App, its been pretty accurate so far, even for the fens and north Norfolk coast.
>> I have an Iphone App, its been pretty accurate so far, even for the fens
>> and north Norfolk coast.
>>

Until the battery dies.
you check the weather before it does.
>>You would be much better off pegging a bunch of Bladderwrack seaweed onto your line, when it waves around -it`s windy, when it`s soft and limp - it`s raining and when its dried up an crispy -heatwave!<<

Plus you could always eat it, as it is rich in Iodine which is good for the thyroid gland (unless you're hyper T)
I had my thyroid gland removed some 25 years ago Dog, so I don't think it would work for me!

Pat
>>I had my thyroid gland removed some 25 years ago Dog, so I don't think it would work for me!<<

Sorry to hear that Pat.

Latest Forum Posts