Non-motoring > Washing machine replacement. Any recommendations? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 45

Washing machine replacement. Any recommendations? - gramar
It's that time again when SWMBO wants me to empty my pockets and buy an all singing and dancing fancy washing machine. We've looked around websites for reviews and opinions and SWMBO has decided as a priority we need a machine that is reliable but importantly rinses well ( she has sensitive skin too - don't they all?). So many manufacturers boast how little water their machine use. We currently have a 12 year old Bosch that's on it's last legs so have looked at Bosch and also LG because they're cheaper and we have one of their LED flatscreen TV's and we're very pleased with it.

I need to know what you guys think - I'm interested to hear from anyone who has bought an LG or Bosch washing machine in the past 5 years.

The two LG machines we like are the F1256QD & the more expensive F1248QDP1 and the Bosch model - WAS28460.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 01:05
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - FotheringtonTomas
I haven't bought a new machine for absolutely ages, 'cos the "Whirlpool" ones I've got have not gone wrong, amazingly. I would observe that:

o - When I do need to buy, I will get one with an action that goes one way then t'other, rather than one with a drum which goes only one way around;

o - I don't care about "water saving" (within reason); I do care about "clean".

o - If you don't cram the thing full, it washes and rinses much better than if you do.

o - I will continue to use liquid detergent rather than powder - it's much better.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Iffy
The LG is just under £300, the Bosch is nearer £500.

As the contented owner of a £230 cheapo Beko, I know which I'd buy.

I'm with FT on use, don't cram it too full.

Better to do two smaller washes than one max one.

Which you'll be able to afford to do if you buy the cheaper machine.

Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Dog
deeza good ~

www.comet.co.uk/p/Washing-Machines/buy-HOTPOINT-WMF760P-Washing-Machine/442461

and

www.ciao.co.uk/Zanussi_ZWF_16581__6823117?AID=title&KID=PA_SP_reviews_offers
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Robin O'Reliant
>> The LG is just under £300, the Bosch is nearer £500.
>>
>> As the contented owner of a £230 cheapo Beko, I know which I'd buy.
>>
Great little machines, aren't they?
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Stuartli
>>The LG is just under £300, the Bosch is nearer £500.

>> As the contented owner of a £230 cheapo Beko, I know which I'd buy.>>

I know it's probably boring by now but, as I've pointed out before, you can't beat a Miele for reliability and efficiency and a virtually guaranteed lifespan of at least 20 years.

But I also have a Beko fridge/freezer, the recommendation last year from two friends in the appliances retail trade, who each have one of the Beko models in their own home.

However, their washing machine in both cases is a Miele......
...I know it's probably boring by now but, as I've pointed out before, you can't beat a Miele for reliability and efficiency and a virtually guaranteed lifespan of at least 20 years...

I am a fairly light user of washing machines, mine is usually on no more than once a week.

If I had more washing to do, I'd probably buy something more expensive.

Having so little money in the Beko appeals to me.

If it blows up, buying another is as viable an option as repairing it.

Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - ....
Does it have to be a front loader ?
You'll grow bored of a top loader before it breaks down. Downside is space, they're no good under a worktop.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - DP
At 8 years old, our current Bosch dishwasher has outlasted the previous two (Indesit and Zanussi) put together. I won't consider any other brand when the washing machine needs replacing. You have to spend more, or compromise on features, but Bosch appliances seem to run forever.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - R.P.
I have a BOSCH Classix 1200 surplus to requirement - very good machine - £100 and its yours - collect from N Wales. All singing but it don't dance.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - sajid
i had replaced my 11 years old bosch wff1401 washing machine, for a seimens 1400 top of the range with 5 years garantee.
comparing to the bosch differences are

1. you get a bigger drum size the bosch was 6kg the siemens 8kg

2. You get 5 year garantee with the seimens free of charge

3. if you into the latest features the siemens got something called auto stain removal, where the machine removes heavy stains for you without any extra pre wash addtive.
Its also got a led interior light great for spotting any missing clothes, and you can also pause the machine and drop a item in the wash if you forgot to place it in

4. The siemens is a lot quieter and also its got this lcd display that tell you at what stage the machine is at.

5. Best of all i got it for £670, the rrp is around £840

Fit and finish is excellent you get a chrome wash door and its also featured in youtube as well

Bosch and seimens both manufacture similar machines but the seimens got better finish and extra features

Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - bathtub tom
>>our current Bosch dishwasher has outlasted the previous two (Indesit and Zanussi)

I wouldn't buy another Indesit washer. IIRC Zanussi and Electrolux are now the same company?
When I bought our current, Bosch dishwasher it was obviously the same machine as Electrolux/Zanussi models. The only difference being the switch panel.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - CGNorwich
Trouble is too many people see their washing machines and other white goods as being all the same and something that will run for years and years without any servicing or maintenance like cars.
My ole AEG with logical fuzz is nigh on 15 years old now and has never been serviced or maintained.
>> My ole AEG with logical fuzz is nigh on 15 years old now and has
>> never been serviced or maintained.
>>
Oh dear...
>>Oh dear...<<

Why so glum chum - do they need to be serviced regularly then?
Is it possible to re-map a washing machine? I would like to increase the spin speed on my Bosch to 1600 rpm
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - AnotherJohnH
>> Is it possible to re-map a washing machine? I would like to increase the spin
>> speed on my Bosch to 1600 rpm
>>

You may need to inform the insurance company.

And buy a hard hat, just in case... :-)
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Zero
you will need to uprate the brakes.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Roger.
Another vote for cheap - Beko 7kg loads, 1300 RPM spin, LED indicator for program time (countdown to end of wash) all for £239.99 from Curry's. Working well so far, as is our Beko dryer,
We had, (at the time in the mid eighties - a very expensive £600) Bosch washer/dryer. It was ordure.
Always breaking down; the nearest agent was 90 miles away and once out of parts guarantee, was very costly to repair.
We threw it away and bought a Hotpoint!
>> Another vote for cheap - Beko 7kg loads, 1300 RPM spin, LED indicator for program
>> time (countdown to end of wash) all for £239.99 from Curry's. Working well so far,
>> as is our Beko dryer,
>>
>>
That's the model we've got.

Mind you, my old mum never had a washing machine and lived to 91. We did smell a bit, but got used to it.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - ....
To CGN, you need super, duper 260v electricity and stick religiously to the service schedule to get the extra.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 18:11
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - henry k
>> My ole AEG with logical fuzz is nigh on 15 years old now and has never been serviced or maintained.
>>
My AEG had a vast amount of sevicing in its earlier years including new motors.
It has been reasonably behaved in recent years after the main circuit board was yet again replaced. After about five years " they have discovered the board is not very tolerant of mains spikes but the have now sorted that out " and that seems to have been the problem solved.
I was not very happy having to have a complete expensive pump changed when the problem was the gland on the shaft from the plastic impeller. Why cannot it be designed so that a new impeller housing can be bolted to the pump shaft ?

www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-washing-machines.html

www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-overview.html
It's all to make sure that their service agents can make money on call-out fees and repairs.
>>My AEG had a vast amount of sevicing in its earlier years including new motors.<<

Ours is the Lavamat 6205 Digilogic and made in the Fatherland, the bearing has had it and makes an awful noise when doing towels etc (unbalanced), to renew the bearing isn't on cost wise so I'm going to 'break it' next week before we move house - the last time I lifted it I did my back in!

We're a'gonna be the proud? owners of a brand spanking 2nd hand Beko jobbie which we're buying from the owners of sed cottage ;(
You can get a new bearing for 30 sovs Dog ~ www.nettoparts.co.uk/shop/bearing-kit-aeg-255p.html

:)
>> Trouble is too many people see their washing machines and other white goods as being all the same and something that will run for years and years without any servicing or maintenance like cars. >>

...and, if replacing, at the same price they paid five, 10 or even 20 years ago...:-))
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - -
We've already done our replacement washer research for when the elderly Bosch finally dies, it's unlikely to be another Bosch, the latest are not built like the old ones.

We've pencilled in a Miele 5740 or similar (if something on offer) with 10 year warranty, or an ISE 10 again with 10 year warranty.
Both are nearly a bag o' sand though, Miele will last well but will cost serious money should it go wrong as Miele don't supply indies with service info/software so you're bound to their own service teams, ISE seem to be doing that bit right but early days.

Both these washers have the facility to increase the water volumes used, few cheaper models have this facility, i don't believe the hype about using a cupful of water to do a weeks wash.

Yes you can buy cheap, but the cheapo will last about 2 to 4 years, and i dislike having to renew things that are not built properly, preferring to pay the extra for a good product once, bought a Beko once, never again, i had to finish assembling it's insides.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 10 Apr 11 at 20:38
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Manatee
Washers=Miele if you can bear to pay the price. Made proper, no lumps of concrete. Ours will be 11 this year, as will the dishwasher. Neither has had a callout, save the dishwasher when some nit not unadjacent to the writer failed to notice a bit of aluminium foil in the pump. Once removed, it resumed normal service.
>>Made proper, no lumps of concrete>>

Cast iron in fact. My machine is eight years old and has never missed a beat.

Not that I even expect it to do so....:-)
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - VxFan
>> Washers=Miele

Gets my vote too.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Cockle
Another vote for Beko.

SWMBO had a Bosch for about ten years but ended up hating it due to its propensity to suddenly deciding to dump black gunge over the clean washing at random intervals, despite religious regular cleaning washes.

After spending some time in Turkey she grew to know the Beko brand and all our Turkish friends gave glowing reports. We've now had a Beko for about three years with absolutely no problems and for the price she reckons it can't be beaten. For me, the build quality feels good and the engineering looks good and, the best bit, I've never had the dreaded phone call at work about the washing machine......
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - helicopter
I bought a Bosch online from Redhill Appliances before Christmas which was delivered just after New Year avoiding the VAT increase.

I can't remember the model but Bosch were doing a promotion where they pay your first year energy costs so with this reduction included we got the price down to £580 or so which was substantially less than any equivalent price offer for the same model.

Reasons for me to buy Bosch - besides me getting really fed up with our old Hotpoint when SWMBO was in hospital were the reputation , quietness and reliability. SWMBO wanted something with a really fast spin cycle and a large drum and the Bosch fitted the bill.

I now wonder why I put up with the old Hotpoint machine for so long.

Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Clk Sec
I've just dug out the receipt for a Hoover washer/dryer (Electron 1100) bought in May 1987. It's still strong and earning its keep.
Look on fleaBay for white goods - we bought a decent BEKO ceramic topped fan oven for £70, to go in our daughter's little house.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - mikeyb
Had a entry level bosch washer and it only lasted 4 years - bit disapointed as it was cheap for bosch, but not as cheap as some of the others. Replaced it with a John Lewis model for £209 including a 3 year warranty. Its now just over 4 years old and going strong. Gets used twice most days.

Dishwasher is Bosch and going strong after 9 years.

This site is useful - think its written by washer reapair men www.washerhelp.co.uk/
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - legacylad
It depends on use, but SWMBO Miele does at least 3 cycles a day...houseful of women.
We bought a base model with a 10 year, yes 10 year, warranty included.Occasionally these long warranties are given on selected machines, and advertised on their website.
Worth every penny if you can justify the outlay with 'above average' use, and the extended warranty negates the expense of buying breakdown cover.
As I keep saying, Miele...:-)

Your washerhelp.co. uk website says pretty much the same:

www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-overview.html

and the review of my own machine:

www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-w864-review.html

described as The Rolls Royce of such appliances....

This particular review, some years ago, didn't claim anything that my best mate's white goods repair staff member didn't instantly recognise as being right on the ball.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 11 Apr 11 at 23:25
A Miele machine with a 10 year guarantee will cost you £999 from John Lewis. It will probably last 15 years. Any repairs will be expensive

Their own brand machines come with a three year guarantee and cost £329. Each machine will probably last at least 6 years. Repairs will be a lot cheaper than the Miele.

Either choice seems reasonable

You can buy Miele for much less than that:

www.ogormans.co.uk/miele_washing_machines.htm

www.appliance-world.co.uk/__MIELE_Washing+Machine.html

www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=MIE-WSH-W1613-W

You really shouldn't need any extended warranty....:-)

There are many, many more similar web links...:-)))
Not with a 10 year guarantee. The cheaper models come with 5 year guarantees Parts can cost 3 times more than a Bosch and your local repair man probably won't be able to fix a Miele
...three times a day...two cycles a day...

No wonder the stupid things break down all the time - and no wonder some of you have black mould on the walls.

Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - Alanovich
Beats having black mould in your keks.
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - VxFan
Not sure about other machines, but Miele have a hour meter so the engineer can see how much the machine has been used and report back to base with the info for their statistics to see how reliable or unreliable their machines are.
>>Not with a 10 year guarantee. >>

My Miele W864 came with a 10 year warranty on major parts even though, at £500, it was then the cheapest model.

In any case the build quality and reliability virtually guarantees a lifespan of at least 15 to 20 years...:-)

See: www.miele.co.uk/washing-machines/reliability/

Mind you some people prefer to change appliances on a more frequent basis to keep up to date with the latest features.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 12 Apr 11 at 12:44
 Washing machine replacement - recommendations plea - gramar
All sorted - thanks. Swmbo settled on another Bosch. Reading around various forums and links seems most makes are now of lower quality than they used to be. So doesn't make any difference what you go for. We also chose Bosch 'cause they have a good name for reliability, are popular (like Fords) parts easily obtainable (like Fords) and experience of all things Bosch counts too.We've bought got a runout model with a very good price from Currys online (used a voucher code and then got an extra £48 off).

I think we've made a well informed choice and experience with a Bosch electric mower helps. Bought new 4 years ago when we moved house (garden 5 times the size - takes 90 mins to cut the lawns) it copes no problem with such a big job. We also have an aging, very reliable Bosch dishwasher!

Latest Forum Posts