Non-motoring > Entrance Exam Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Entrance Exam - Crankcase
Something tells me I'd never have got into Harvard.

I managed one of the history questions, I think, and stared blankly at most of the rest. Some of them I couldn't even understand what was being asked.

graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/education/harvardexam.pdf

What's interesting, of course, is how the view of what constitutes an education at all has changed.
 Entrance Exam - sherlock47
Brought back some interesting memories - algebraic long division? I assume that you can factorise and cancel?

I assume that they had log tables to hand - or how else do you find cube roots? Is their an iterative method other than trial and error?

their = there !!! obviously failed english!
 Entrance Exam - Zero
My Greek Grammar let me down, but I excelled at the history and geography, and the comparison of Sparta and Athens was easy peasy having watched the film 300!
 Entrance Exam - L'escargot
I studied Latin for a year at school. At the end of the year my teacher said I spoke Latin like a native.
 Entrance Exam - Crankcase
Zero's Athen v Sparta one was the only one I thought I could make a reasonable stab at too. As for Latin, I can manage enough to get a paper, or an airline ticket, but after that it gets a bit hazy.

Entrance Exam - Londoner
>> I studied Latin for a year at school. At the end of the year my
>> teacher said I spoke Latin like a native.
>>
Blimey! Your Latin teacher must have been very old!
>>>>I spoke Latin like a native<<<

But he did not say which country!
 Entrance Exam - Armel Coussine

'Native' in those days meant a person with a bone through their septum and a grass skirt, howling incomprehensibly in some primitive foreign gibberish. That was probably what he meant.

Kicking, screaming, frequently getting beaten, I had Latin drummed into me for quite a few years by a variety of glum, exasperated, resigned or furious teachers. It was the only O level I failed and the carphounds forced me to take it again. I would have refused had I known that scraping through the second time would let me in for even more of the stuff, and Anglo-Saxon too. Worst mistake I ever made, passing that. But the priests responsible for my education at A level had surprisingly persuasive ways, sometimes reminiscent of the grittier scenes in the Sopranos...
 Entrance Exam - AnotherJohnH
>> I studied Latin for a year at school. At the end of the year my
>>

I don't think that was a compliment - as the language is considered to be dead by many.

Was your effort a bit lifeless?
 Entrance Exam - helicopter
I too did Latin and managed to get an 'O' Level.

This always reminds me of Latin at school and makes me laugh

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8
 Entrance Exam - Dave_
>> the language is considered to be dead by many.

Latin's a dead language,
As dead as can be.
It killed off all the Romans
And now it's killing me.
Latest Forum Posts