Non-motoring > Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 13

Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - legacylad
Last year we spent 2 long weekends in Paris. In spring we flew Jet2 from LeedsBfd. We then got adventurous and tried Eurostar. Unfortunately, we experienced a 10+ hour delay, but at least Eurostar had the decency to give us a free trip to any core destination.
We plan to travel on the Friday before the August BH this year, returning on the Monday, thus getting 2 full days in our destination of choice, yet only using 1 days holiday entitlement. We are happy to visit Paris again, but would welcome alternative suggestions..we can pay extra for onward travel to say, Bruges.
Bear in mind we have to catch a train to Leeds, then on to Kings X and then check in at St Pancras. I cannot remember how long we need for check in..last time it was 6 hours!!
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - RattleandSmoke
I stayed in Lille in around 2002 as apart of a rail trip I organised. Also spent time in Amsterdam and Paris.

I was quite impressed with Lille and it was a proper northern French city, something a lot of brits don't to get to see as they go to southern France or Paris.

Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - Bigtee
we need for check in..last time it was 6 hours!!

It's your holiday go for a pint or 8.

Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - hjd
We went to Amsterdam using Eurostar and changing at Brussels. Most enjoyable. Tram from central station to hotel, or you could have walked.
Also worth bearing in mind that if you buy a ticket to a Belgian destination on Eurostar, it includes free onwards travel to any other Belgian destination (or at least it did when I went).
Fancy Bruges for our next trip.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - Perky Penguin
I think you are looking for Eurostar direct holidays? If you are not I can really recommend Brugges (change at Brussels). If you consider it I can also recommend

tinyurl.com/63somq5

HJD please see this link also!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Wed 13 Apr 11 at 07:37
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - Injection Doc
if you wish to crack on a little further Annacey is probabley one of the most beutiful places you could visit ! its known as mini Venice. you can get there by train worth a couple of days there.
www.planetware.com/picture/annecy-f-f1091.htm
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - Zero
A little further! blimey thats an understatement, its on the swiss border!

Nice place tho.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - CGNorwich
Bruges is an awkward place to get to by train, as you say you need to go via Brussels which is hugely out of the way. Far easier to go by car, only an hour drive from Dunkirk
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - legacylad
Thanks for all suggestions...we are flying to Amsterdam for a weekend in June for the future Mrs L's birthday. Early am flight out of LBA with Jet2. We have not yet decided whether to stay in Amsterdam, Utrecht or Maastricht !
With regard to our 'free' eurostar return journey, I quite fancy Bruges...as the freebie is only via 'core' destinations, ie Paris, Lille or Brussels, I appreciate we shall have to change trains (again) and pay a supplement.
I know Annecy well, and could happily live there, preferably with a nice lake frontage property (in my dreams). We often stop over en route to Geneva, driving back from late season skiing in early May. A total contrast to the usually cold & snowy Val Thorens where last time it dumped 10" of fresh snow overnight before we departed the following morning.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - FocalPoint
Having had a few days in Amsterdam recently, I'd definitely stay in the town, preferably within walking distance of the centre. If you are visiting for the first time, you've got several full days just to get around all that's worth seeing.

I'd be happy to provide some tips if you need them, as I'm sure would others here. A great place to go!
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - apm
I can thoroughly recommned Bruges (or more properly Brugge). It is a change of train at Brussels, but on my trips the Belgian railway has been very efficient and easy to use. The station is very close to the town centre too. Once there, you have an architectural feast as well as some of the best beer in the world. Also quite alot of chocolate... I can recommend Hotel Erasmus (good food and a much better than average beer menu). Barwise, the Brugs Beertje is one of the nicest bars I've ever visited, and has a beerlist many, many pages long!

There are advangates to taking the car though- West Flanders is a wonderful undiscovered country, with beautiful villages and much history. Also some of the finest breweries known to man! Ypre (Ieper) and Popperinge are worth a visit. As are the WWI cemetaries, but a tear will be brought to the eye.

I really want to go there myself now!!#

HTH,

Alex.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - CGNorwich
Bruges (or more properly Brugge).

It's most definitely Bruges to the French speaking part of the population and is the accepted English name of the city. Brugge if you speak Flemish.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - Perky Penguin
Apm you are so right! Starting with the cemeteries, an interest of mine: in general terms no deceased oficer over 25 years old and not many enlisted men over 21. The young lives of a complete generation gone. Also the tenedency of many young men to join up together from the same area or workplace (The Pals regiments?) They died together and perhaps lived in the same square mile of some city. There was also an Artists Regiment ISTR.

Wiki says:-

The Manchester Pals were part of Kitchener's New Army. They were formed into seven battalions in The Manchester Regiment.

* 1st Manchester Pals (16th Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 2nd Manchester Pals (17th Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 3rd Manchester Pals (Clerks' and Warehousemen's Battalion) (18th Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 4th Manchester Pals (19th Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 5th Manchester Pals (20th Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 6th Manchester Pals (21st Battalion, Manchester Regiment)
* 7th Manchester Pals (22nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment)

Almost 10,000 men enlisted in the Manchester Pals battalions, of whom 4,776 were killed. Overall, the Manchester Regiment lost about 13,000 men.

Some of the beer is just amazing; the fruit ones are very pleasant in the heat of summer and some of the Trappist ones are seriously strong, 14% is not unknown, like drining a pint of wine!

Brugge is an hour from Calais if one feels like taking the Tunnel - ideal for me as I live 90 minutes from Folkestone.
 Eurostar destinations....suggestions please. - RattleandSmoke
I love Amsterdam it is one of my favourite cities but hotels for some reason are very expensive. I think it is because it is small city. The rooms for the money are also very small.

I know the city quite well and I would recommend staying near the Leidseplein Square or the Vondel Park areas.
Latest Forum Posts