Non-motoring > Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 40

Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - RattleandSmoke
What is a cider? I have noticed Gordon Clown has put the price up on my devon trip by 10% by increasing the tax on cider. However if a 'cider' is made out of pears and not grapes surely it is a perry and not a cider? Has tax on Perry also gone up?
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - CGNorwich
Cider and Perry are taxed at the same rate so yes the tax on Perry has gone up .

Duty is levied at different rates on

Spirits

Cider and Perry

Beer

Wine and made-wine

made-wine is basically anything alcoholic that doesn't fall in the other categories. I'm afraid there are no loopholes:-(
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Ted

A nice glass of 'Jake', Ratty !
That'll keep the costs down for you.

Ted
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Bromptonaut
Cider made of grapes is an interesting concept!!

I hold no brief for Darling Brown but I think they've increased the duty by 10% which means a rise of around 6/8p on a pint. It won't put anything on your rail fare or B&B costs.
I might go to Tesco and buy a load of grapes then. In the words of Clarkson, J "How hard can it be?"

It just seems madness, put tax up 10% on already very expensive drinks. If it was for social reasons as claimed why didn't they leave the tax alone on premium cider but hike tax on the stuff the kids drink?

I am mainly a beer man but occasionally I was partial to an over priced Magners or a strong Westons.

I am not looking forward to cost of booze on Saturday :( Although I don't tend to buy that much from expensive places.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - VxFan
>> I might go to Tesco and buy a load of grapes then. In the words of Clarkson J "How hard can it be?"

Knowing your track record for accidents, you'll only end up breaking something else ;o)
The only accident I had last year was when I broke my elbow (I think!). Making my own cider does appeal to the geeky side in me though. I could dish it out in my lockup.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - VxFan
Perhaps "accident" was the wrong choice of word and I should have used something like "bad luck" instead.

Note the smiley in the other post though.
Bad luck and incidents certainly it seems. The latest is that there is a rail strike in the middle of my railway holiday. I could postpone it but thankfully to and back are on a none strike day so it is just the trains from Bristol onwards which I am worried about.

Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - MD
Why raise the duty? Education is the ONLY answer. The Cap brigade will just do a bit more nefarious work (sic) to pay for it.

Youth is wasted on the young.

M.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - L'escargot
>> Education is the ONLY answer.

Like this.
hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/alcohol_abuse.html
I'll just add .........

Our 54 year old son-in-law has recently had to have his complete lower bowel removed because of colon cancer caused by heavy drinking. His bum has been stitched up and he will have to have a stoma for the rest of his life.

hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/stoma_care.html
Hell's teeth Snailman.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Dog
>>> It just seems madness, put tax up 10% on already very expensive drinks. <<<

Its basically about a totally impoverished Ex-Chequer, sitting around a round table, quaffing extensive amounts of Laphroaig, smoking over-large Havana cigars, whilst trying to work out how to extract a few more pfennigs out of the proletariat so that they can retreat to their country piles, paid for by you - the taxpayer.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Alanovich
Am I the only one thinking that this is a cynical political tax increase, which will mainly affect people in an area where the Labour Party usually lose out to the Liberals? Does it signal that Labour are effectively giving up on the South West in order to concentrate campaigning elsewhere? They needed to hike the tax on booze, but have found a clever way of doing it which will not cost them support in their bitter/lager drinking heartlands?

Or am I anlaysing this a bit too much?
>>> Does it signal that Labour are effectively giving up on the South West in order to concentrate campaigning elsewhere? <<<

Good point Alan.
Cornwall is mainly yellow with very little red so it will be interesting to see what happens come election time - probably N.O.C.
Re: Cider, y'all can still buy a gallon for £3 @ the farm gate ;-)
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - FotheringtonTomas
>> y'all can still buy a gallon for £3 @ the farm gate

That'd be an American gallon, then.
>> their bitter/lager drinking heartlands?
>>
I am a Bitter drinker. Bitter/Lager drinkers should not be bitter. They should be happy and enjoy.

Whatever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>M
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Stuartli
>>> It just seems madness, put tax up 10% on already very expensive drinks. <<<

The duty was much lower in this case originally - however, as I understand it, the plan has been dropped due to pressure of time left to pass legislation as Parliament will be dissolved on Monday.
>> Hell's teeth Snailman.
>>

Just to finish off, he had two operations totalling nine hours and was in intensive care for over a fortnight.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Fursty Ferret
As a vaguely motoring related link, Devon has an excellent cider which goes by the dubious name of "Diesel". In fact, I recommend Ye Olde Cider Bar in Newton Abbot, a slightly seedy establishment which is one of only 4 remaining cider bars in the UK.

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gunning/scrumpy/ciderbar.html

I've had to help carry more than one person out of there, and when the weather's nice you can sit outside. Good parking nearby too, and a few B&Bs in the local area.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - ....
>> Good parking nearby too
>>
That's always handy when you're too innebriated to walk :)

* I in no way condone drinking and driving should anyone pick up on the above comment the wrong way.
Without mentioning any names, this is for SShhhhh! you know who ~
www.cornishrattler.co.uk/hometest.htm

:)
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Mapmaker
£3 per gallon farm-gate cider is duty-free.

www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Small_Cidermakers_Exemption

Rattle, you need to be buying APPLES to make cider, not grapes.

No need to buy, you can find unloved apple trees all over the place during the autumn. The side of motorways etc. etc.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Cliff Pope
>>
>> No need to buy you can find unloved apple trees all over the place during
>> the autumn. The side of motorways etc. etc.
>>

But they won't be cider apples. Cider made from ordinary apples is bland stuff. You need a good proportion of the stronger bitter cider apples.
>> I have noticed Gordon Clown has put the price up on
>> my devon trip by 10% by increasing the tax on cider.

It's part desire to increase revenue, part a drive to reduce the social impact of excessive drinking, and largely due to the "EU".
Anyone out there in the ether planning an excursion into deepest darkest Cornwall in the Dog days,
and manages to get past the wreckers, smugglers and wisewomen,
may like to partake of some 'real' farm Cider - recommended (and tasted) by yours truly ~
www.somersetmade.co.uk/oldscrump/ciderfarms/hayefarm.php
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Mapmaker
I can feel the hangover coming on already. The sight of a 5 litre plastic container, filled with luscious red juice...
>> hayefarm

How much for how much (I too am wondering about 5L containers)?
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 16:58
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Fursty Ferret
TBH Mapmaker given the ferocious strength of the stuff you could probably run your car on Diesel (cider) without any problem at all, though you may notice your radio will get stuck on any radio station playing the Wurzels.
All farm, srumpy, or rough cider is potentially headbangingly strong.
When I first visited Cornwall back in the late 70's, my brother and I stayed up til the early hours drinking scumpy cider and awaiting the Perseids meteor shower :)
My poor brother didn't stay the course, but he did see stars (and some!), he was quite ill come the morn.
What I've found with farm cider is that its very, very easy to knock back, and it doesn't seem to have much affect until ...
BANG, so beware!!
The cheapest way to buy the damn stuff is to take along your own container and say 'fill er up'
The propa Cornish family that own Haye Farm are simply luvly country folk.
Their apple juice is stored in oak barrels in an old barn.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - rtj70
But only drink it in moderation :-) It's not good for you. Serious.

L'escargot's reference is food for thought! Heavy drinking kills/harms.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 18:02
I don't drink that much really and I give my liver time to recover. I don't bing in the sense of drinking vodka or shots, it is all just fairly week beer, the problem is I probably have a bit too many 'week' beers.

Saturday nights in a pub with mates, then onto the dance floor mushing to AC/DC or chanting along to yet another Stone Roses song. The problem is by the time get on the dance floor I feel sober and before I know I've consumed 8 pints that evening.

My record was 13 pints and a quarter bottle of vodka that was from 10:00am till 2:00am when went to a Hyde Park gig, can't remember if it was New Order or Foo Fighters/QOTSA but I never seem to get 'drunk' which is a bit dangerious.

I assume I must get drunk as my mouth sometimes gets me into trouble the next day!

I do not touch drink at any other time but like many people my age I do have a bit of a "get ***** or don't drink at all" attitude. My dad was very different being from a different generation. His attitude was you either at work or in a pub.

I won't be drinking much when I am away but these cider farms sound very tempting!

On a more serious note when I look back at my life so far some of the happiest times I have had is when I was a tipsy. I love being tipsy but I find it takes more and more drinks to get that stage as I get older.

Drinking is just too much apart of culture and my grandad was the same, he drank the same way I did, never touched the stuff at home but always loved to go to the pub with his mates, he died aged 77 which was quite young but it amazed me how many of his mates went to his funeral considering most of his mates have already died. Alchohol may have cut his life short but he had a good and happy live so who is to argue?

When I get my Panda I shall have to cut back on drinking by defecto anyway as I will have a massive loan to pay back!

PS I won't go into any details but I have seen first hand what alchohol can do to people and I do not ever want to get into that stage, the problem is it only becomes a problem when it has to stop. All I do is have 7 pints every saturday which I have done for the past eight years or so.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 26 Mar 10 at 18:46
>>>But only drink it in moderation :-) It's not good for you. Serious. <<<

I would go along with that message =199%
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Bellboy
im not drinkings scrumpy if eyes ends up looking and talkings likes that jeffro bloke
What happened was............
>>> How much for how much (I too am wondering about 5L containers)? <<<

I paid £3 last time I went there, took my own earthenware container,
but I haven't been there for about 4 years mind as I've moved further west now to Truro.
Quite a nice area though is Lerryn, I could easily spend a week or a lifetime down there.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Dave_
10% tax increase on cider has been rescinded:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8606373.stm
>>> 10% tax increase on cider has been rescinded: <<<

Good! + the Broadband Tax ... We may well get a Demo~cracy after all one day.
 Am I right in thinking a loop hole r.e cider? - Crankcase
Only kinda sorta.

From the same report:

"The Tories and Lib Dems welcomed the cider move but Labour say it will be re-introduced if they are re-elected. "

>>> but Labour say it will be re-introduced if they are re-elected <<<

If ... A little word with big connotations.
Latest Forum Posts