Non-motoring > Condensing boiler over pressure. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 11

Condensing boiler over pressure. - FotheringtonTomas
About 2 bar. Glow Worm 30SXI. Will (or can) this damage the boiler?
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - bathtub tom
My daughter's boiler's suffering from this. The manufacturer's opinion was the system needed flushing.

The boiler was new when she bought the house. The opinion is the old gravity fed system hadn't been flushed when the boiler was changed.

Don't they have a safety cut-out at over two bar?

My solution was to bleed a radiator until the pressure's in limits.
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Stuartli
Check that the filling loop valve is fully off.
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Perky Penguin
Stuart is spot on! I found my gauge reading max = way above the green sector! Bled some pressure out of a radiator and checked the filling loop which was just letting a little bit of pressure in over night. Turned it fully off and no further problems. The pressure does rise slightly when the boiler is running/hot but goes back into the green when it is cool.
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Stuartli
>The pressure does rise slightly when the boiler is running/hot but goes back into the green when it is cool.>>

That's normal with my combi boiler (Ideal HE30). Glad it's sorted..:-)
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - NortonES2
The pressure shown varied a lot on our Gloworm boiler. Too much in my view. Into the red when working hard, down to below "normal" when idle. Turned out that the little pressure vessel containing a diaphragm had lost air pressure. Bicycle pump restored more sensible indications. So far, 3 months on, the pressure indicated is not subject to such extreme swings.
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Dog
We'll be on a condensing combi boiler next week, none of this namby pamby gas stuff though,
We're blessed with an 'economical' oil fired boiler :-(
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - devonite
my boiler (supposedly) lifts a pressure relief valve at 3bar and blows the excess pressure down the drain - never activated in 20 odd years! the spiders have been very happy in there!
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - FotheringtonTomas
I'll check for a pressure relief valve. Thanks (& to B.T.).

The fact that there may be such a thing indicates that excess pressure could damage the boiler.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Sat 16 Apr 11 at 13:22
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Iffy
...the filling loop which was just letting a little bit of pressure in over night...

My plumber told me to disconnect the filling loop at one end when not in use.

Presumably, it must fill via a one-way valve.
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Perky Penguin
In my very old combi boiler the filling loop is in the sytem and pressurised all the time, I think. The only control I have over it is a rotary in-line stop valve which I turn with a screwdriver to increase the system pressure and that is it SFAIK
 Condensing boiler over pressure. - Harleyman
PP, mine's only about six years old and is topped up the same way.

Agreee with others about the necessity of flushing the old system out.
Latest Forum Posts