Non-motoring > Caution when paying in cash at a bank Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 25

Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Perky Penguin
Horror story in one of Saturday's broadsheets. I will see if this link works and post a precis of the text if it doesn't

www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/money/consumeraffairs/article2988019.ece

Couple paid cash into a bank, weren't offered and didn't ask for a receipt. Money went missing, member of branch staff in prison for theft but no refund without a receipt! This bank has had 205,000 complaints in the last 6 months - this was just one of them!

Last edited by: Perky Penguin on Sun 17 Apr 11 at 15:53
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Londoner
Hello,PP.
The link only works if you are a Times subscriber, I'm afraid.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Zero
Yeah

I refuse to subscribe to online newspapers, the more we refuse to subscribe the chance of the rest of them moving that way is less.
You don't have to subscribe, you can buy the hard copy! I subscribe to a newspaper and get a book of vouchers which gets me the paper for a year with a 15% discount and gives me access to the web editions for nothing.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - VxFan
>> which gets me the paper for a year

Only the one?
Sorry! I must have still been signed in to the Times site when I checked the link! Summary of the problem is that a man paid £600 plus in, over the counter, and didn't ask for a receipt AND wasn't offered one. He then found out that the money had never reached his account. Despite the fact that an employee of the branch he had used was sent to prison for stealing £33K the bank refused him a refund on the basis that he had no receipt. Similar problems for people who paid into the Night Safe, which doesn't even have the facility to issue receipts.

First man got it sorted after 2 years and thru the good work of the financial services ombudsman. This bank has been the subject of 205,000 complaints in the last 6 months of 2010, 10000 more than in the first 6 months.

I have to say that I only pay in thru a machine and I am given a receipt for the cash and if it is a cheque the receipt has a mini scan of the complete cheque so I am quite relaxed about it.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Bellboy
funny how people do some funny things when they pay cash in
me
i paid in a substantial sum and the receipt was a zero less when i checked it
i went back and got it sorted pronto but have to admit i was walking funny for a while first
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Armel Coussine
>> i went back and got it sorted pronto but have to admit i was walking funny for a while first

Bellboy: although radical in grammar and spelling you are that rare thing, a brilliant writer.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - corax
Bellboy! I asked where you were the other day and no one was interested :)
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - R.P.
He was on his way back to the bank
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Iffy
...Bellboy: although radical in grammar and spelling you are that rare thing, a brilliant writer....

Bellboy: because you are radical in grammar and spelling you are that not so rare thing, a writer whose prose is sometimes difficult to understand.

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 05:39
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - AnotherJohnH
>> you are radical in grammar and spelling...

Yorkshire.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Cliff Pope
The teller must have done a convincing job of pretending to key in the details, then waiting a few seconds before hitting Enter, and smiling at the customer and saying it had gone through.
Always get a receipt. I was given the third degree when I payed in the cash I got for my 1200GS last year - on the other hand when I paid in more money for the Roomie the previous year the teller didn't bat an eyelid. The proceeds of a house sale are the next thing to fall out with the bank over this week.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Cliff Pope
>> The proceeds of a house sale are the next thing to fall out with
>> the bank over this week.
>>

You sold a house for cash?
Well not used tenners ! - the proceeds arrived by cheque...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 09:04
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Ted

The Halifax have never asked me if I wanted a receipt in 21 years with them.

They just give me one automatically. I presume the bank in question is the ' red one ' ?

Ted
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Clk Sec
I have noticed recently that I am now (occasionally) asked if I want a receipt. The answer is always yes, of course.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Boxsterboy
I don't understand. What sort of a bank accepts £600 without a paying in slip/book which they stamp as a receipt? I thought BCCI and Lehman Bros were history?
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - RattleandSmoke
Mine dosn't either. I rarely pay in £600 but it is quite common for me to need to pay in £250-£300. I always always insist in getting a receipt though.
Well I suppose that as they were named in the newspaper article I linked to I can name them here - Barclays.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - Clk Sec
>> without a paying in slip/book

Some do, some don't. One I use regularly has to print out a receipt; hence my post above.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - rtj70
When I pay in money to my account I see them enter it on the computer and your receipt is the paying in stub with a stamp. You cannot pay in without a paying in slip. At other banks like Natwest, when you pay in with an account number and sort code you have to sign the paperwork. Using a card means you have to enter the pin.

I bet there aren't many banks where this scam ever worked. There are too many processes to prevent it.
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - RattleandSmoke
I am with the Spanish and the same thing could easily happen to me if I didn't get a receipt. All you do is hand over the money over the counter and say can you pay into this account (and show them the card).

If they gave no receipt they could easily keep the money and just pretend to enter the details on the computer.

R&S As obviously done by the rural branch employee who got £30k from Barclays and is now in prison See Post 1
 Caution when paying in cash at a bank - CGNorwich
Banks aren't alway's wrong and there are a lot of people out there who try it on. Would anyone pay a large sum of money into a bank and not ask for a receipt? Hmmm
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 15:36
Latest Forum Posts