Non-motoring > Sad news about Flip camcorders Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 13

Sad news about Flip camcorders - Stuartli
Those of you who have one of these camcorders will probably be disappointed to learn that production is to cease due to the impact of other forms of video recording, including the use of mobile phones:

tinyurl.com/633whlw

tinyurl.com/6gumfl4
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - Zero
As soon as HD video cameras appeared on mobile phones, flip were doomed. Such is the pace of technology, you have to keep pace, and innovate to survive.
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - CGNorwich
I must admit that as I packed my Flip, Ipod, ageing Nokia phone,personal radio,digital camera,SLR,net book,and satnav together with 5 mains chargers and some travel speakers for my holiday I started to see the attraction of one device that would replace most of them.
Iphone = flip/ipod/phone/digital camera/netbook/satnav.

Sad news about Flip camcorders - rtj70
Not as good a camera or camcorder as a good digital one. How's it at depth of field.

I stopped taking a DSLR and camcorder and now that a micro-four thirds camera. Quite a weight saving.

As said above, Flip were doomed as soon as phones produced decent video. In fact probably better video.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 10:43
"In fact probably better video."

Actually I don't think there is a phone that produces anything near the quality of a Flip HD, at least not the last time I looked. It is a very good piece of kit, with its chief virtue being that its extremely simple to use - just one button!

Cisco System only bought Flip a couple of years ago and now want to get our of retail electronics. Decision has as much to do with business politics as being a commercial decision. They could easily have sold the company but chose not to. There is still a market for such devices as not everyone has or wants a smart phone. I doubt whether their competitors will be too upset.

Its good however that Cisco will continue to support Flipshare which enables you to easily share your videos.
Iphone 4 video is every bit as good as flip video, flip video was never brilliant. Iphone 4 digital still camera is barely OK at best,

They could have sold the company except no-one wanted it, its a one trick pony in the wrong race.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 11:59
Other companies doing cameras similar to the Flip (e.g. Kodaq) have the benefit of also being a camera company. I'm not sure why Cisco would have bought Flip as it does not fit that well with their business (IMO).

I am sure they'd have sold Flip if someone wanted it.
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - Alanovich
>> Iphone = flip/ipod/phone/digital camera/netbook/satnav.
>>

As is my Nokia N8. If the consarned thing worked properly.
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - mikeyb
My understanding is that they tried to sell it as a going concern but nobody wanted it.

The camera on my HTC Desire HD isnt bad, but the battery life of the phone is crap.
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - Bellboy
i never bought the flip because it ran on lithium which means if it runs out on your jollies it causes problems
thats why i still use my cheaper busb i version with aa rechargeable batteries and removeable sd cards
But many smart phones offer similar capabilities (if not better) and other advantages... so iPhone apart the battery life is not an issue.
 Sad news about Flip camcorders - Bellboy
im an old stick in the mud though:-)
lets put it this way why would rao (reporting and out) get a mad face response on this forum?
My Flip Mino HD has 2 hour recording capacity and battery life roughly the same
Latest Forum Posts