Non-motoring > Which i do I want? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 52

Which i do I want? - Iffy
I have a capacity problem after loading all my CDs into iTunes.

My music library is 24GB, but my iPod nano is only 16GB.

Three Apple devices have sufficient space: an iPod classic, an iPod touch, and an iPhone.

Rule out the iPhone, don't want another phone, and certainly not another monthly contract.

So it's a choice between the touch and the classic.

Lots more capacity on the classic, but I buy very little new music, so the 8GB headroom a 32GB touch would give me would be plenty.

I can't see me using the wi-fi on the touch very much, although you never know until it's there.

The user interface on the nano is a bit fiddly, but presumably would be better with the larger controls of the classic.

What's the touch like to use as an mp3 player?

If it would let me navigate my music collection more easily, that might swing it.

Last question, might I get a bit knocked off a classic because it's an older device?
 Which i do I want? - Zero
whatever works out cheaper has to be the way to go.
...whatever works out cheaper has to be the way to go...

Thanks for that.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on some super-duper mp3 functionality on the touch.

I take it classics are as reliable as these sorts of devices ever are?

Which i do I want? - CGNorwich
Classic has a disc drive so inherently more unreliable.
with the touch you pay for a lot of fancy gismo touch screen tomfoolery and the ability to download and play app games.

With a classic you get a music player. A good one too.
 Which i do I want? - BiggerBadderDave
I've had mine (classic) for nearly 5 years and it's used daily without a problem. Battery seems fine too.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 18:01
 Which i do I want? - Dulwich Estate
I dithered between a classic and iPod Touch for a good while. I had had a classic before which met with an accident.

I got a 64gB iPod touch and am delighted with it. The wiFi is useful and it can do so much more, which to be honest ,I've never done - never watched a film or You Tube clip. It's somehow comforting to know I can if I want to.
 Which i do I want? - rtj70
If you want just a music player then get the classic. But try out an iPod touch. It's a music player yes but apart from phone function (and mobile data) it's the equivalent of an iPhone 3G. Id go for the touch but I have one (now unused) and think it's great.

It is only unused because I have an Android phone. And some cheap Android music player out there that are the equivalent of the Apple iPod touch.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 18 Apr 11 at 18:39
 Which i do I want? - Bagpuss
I have an iPod "Classic" from the days when it was called the iPod with the Clickwheel. Bought in 2004 and monstrously big compared to the present iPod range. Still works but battery has become a bit hit and miss and I was considering replacing it with an iPod Touch. The Touch easily wins the Nice Gadget competition compared with the Classic. By coincidence though I was offered an upgrade deal from T-Mobile which I've used to order an iPhone 4.

When my Mother went for an iPod she went for the Classic rather than the Touch on the basis of the additional memory space (which I don't think she'll use).
If money was no object, I'd probably buy both.

But it is, so I'm favouring a classic, which seems to be the better music player.

It has to be silver to match the MacBook.

I'm in no rush, which is probably just as well because supply seems a little uncertain around here.

Argos have none locally, Comet is out of stock, and Currys is showing as 'check in store'.

The Apple shop is the obvious place to go, but my nearest is in Newcastle city centre and access is hard work.

Order on line: quicker and cheaper.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 09:19
...Order on line: quicker and cheaper...

Online is a dead loss for me because I'm rarely in to accept the package.

I end up chasing around more than if I went to a shop.

No cheaper in this case, either.

Seems to me classics are the best part of £200 wherever you buy...

...unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Which i do I want? - Hard Cheese

I bought a new model 32GB Touch recently though had a few peoblems with it and sent it back, I concluded however that it is not as good a music player as a 5th Gen Nano, I have two, 8GB and 16GB, so I am using them currently.

Hence I reckon that a Classic would be the better option for increased capacity however the Nano has some functionality that the Classic doesnt have, i.e. it is easier to select Shuffle on the Nano and it has more Shuffle options from what I have been able to determine.

...shuffle options...

I think the classic will not shuffle an individual album.

Rumours that Classic has reached the end of the line. Might be good to wait.

www.9to5mac.com/51236/ipod-classic-supplies-drying-up-end-near/

I'm rarely in to accept the package.

Ah yes work. Forgot about that.
...Ah yes work. Forgot about that...

Lots of people on here have.

My other problem is I don't here the door bell.

I had heard rumours of a classic upgrade, it's now an old device in the fast moving world of technology.

Extra capacity wouldn't interest me, but Apple being Apple, they might come up with some other ever so desirable features.

They are unlikely to increase capacity - in fact the last time changed the classic they simplified it to one size only but two colours.

Wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it all together soon rather than later. Next iteration of the iPod touch likely to reach 128Gb using flash memory.
 Which i do I want? - BiggerBadderDave
"My other problem is I don't here the door bell."

You don't what the doorbell? Uncharacteristic slip there...
...You don't what the doorbell? Uncharacteristic slip there...

True, true.

Post in haste, look stupid at leisure.

Which i do I want? - Crankcase
Post hoc ergo propter hoc :)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 11:55

>> Seems to me classics are the best part of £200 wherever you buy...
>>
>> ...unless someone can tell me otherwise.

175 quid

www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-classic-160GB-Silver/dp/B002MRRROG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303288412&sr=8-2
...175 quid...

Mmm, tempting, despite possible online delivery problems.

I see the link is saying only one left in stock - seems there aren't many around at the minute.

Must we waiting for the next container ship from China.

Which i do I want? - Skoda
It'd be an iPhone every time for me. 1 device. The benefits are plentiful.

We always buy ours on PAYG, surprisingly cheap to run (relatively generous free credit back every 3 months) which helps keep the all important total monthly outgoings figure low.

Mazuma buy them back when you upgrade. We got £130 back for an iPhone 3G.

Total spend for 12 months ~£370. You'd pay that in contract fees never mind the phone cost. £370 for a device that finds you when youre lost abroad, that entertains you when you're bored, that makes the wee things in life easier (shopping, banking etc.)...
 Which i do I want? - Hard Cheese

>> ...175 quid...
>>

£162 refurb from the Apple online shop, absolutely as new (new outer shell), free delivery.

store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=OTY2ODY4Nw
I wonder if the shortage has anything to do with either a switch from 160Gb to 220Gb Toshiba hard drives... Or a shortage of hard drives if they are made in Japan and affected by the tsunami/earthquake/nuclear reactor? Although more likely to be made somewhere like Taiwan.
...made in Japan and affected by the tsunami/earthquake/nuclear reactor?...

Possibly.

The bother in Libya and that area is not effecting shipping is it?

Apologies if that sounds really stupid, my grasp of foreign affairs has always been less than firm.

Nah nothing is affected in the Suez canal right now, tho that is a fear if Egypt descends into Chaos. Container ships from the far east tend to come round the long way tho so apart from sailing a long way off the coast to avoid somali pirates, shipping is currently unaffected.

I don't think the Japanese tsunami should affect IPOD parts tho, few electronic components or assembly takes place in Japan for low cost consumer electronics. Its a high cost employer.

Most Ipod assembly takes place in China with Taiwanese or Korean made components.
So I wonder if there is a new/updated iPod classic on it's way? Stock has been run down it seems. But 160Gb is probably big enough so maybe they are switching to a newer (cheaper) 160Gb drive.
...So I wonder if there is a new/updated iPod classic on it's way?...

I've read in a couple of places that Apple usually update iPods in September, although of course there's nothing to stop them releasing a new one at any time.

Perhaps the company is struggling to keep its many and various markets stocked with its many and various products.

Apple has gone from struggling to being the biggest company in the world in a relatively short space of time.

Could be no more than growing pains.

>> Apple has gone from struggling to being the biggest company in the world in a relatively short space of time.

How did you figure they are the biggest company.... that's a bit grand. They're nowhere near the biggest. And define biggest anyway. I assume you mean market valuation?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 16:07
Apple has gone from very small to very big to almost bankrupt to very big again and there are signs that it may be heading off the rails again.
All it takes is for people to start offloading shares thinking they at their peak. And if Steve Jobs does not come back (he probably won't) then things could change again.

I read the other week that Steve Wozniak still gets a salary from Apple despite leaving a long long time ago. Paid for nothing then. He's indicated he'd like to go back too.
...how do you figure it's the biggest company in the world...

I don't, the analysts do.

Lots of info here about Apple becoming the second biggest company in the world last September, and it being poised to overtake Exxon-Mobil as the biggest.

Since then we've had the iPad 2....

www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=is+apple+the+biggest+company+in+the+world&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=qveuTfXhDZGyhAeDhvXdAw
Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 16:15
Personally, I'd not use the world 'biggest' in this scenario though. Most valuable maybe but not big.

Apple shares have come down recently though I believe. Maybe people are being more realistic about Apple. Some think they can do no wrong. Don't get me wrong they make some very good products. I still like my iMac a lot although the iPod touch is no longer being used (Android phone owner).
 Which i do I want? - commerdriver
Makes it the "most valuable" in stock market terms, it's not the biggest by any reasonable measure like employees, sales, profits or anything like that. By any of those it's not even the biggest technology company by a long way.

A bit more DM than FT perhaps. :-)
I see Apple are suing Samsung because the Galaxy S phone and Galaxy tablet are said to be infringing Apple intellectual property. Samsung to countersue.

But the vast majority of the components in the iPhone and iPad that cost are made by Samsung ;-) Kind of ironic. I think the flash SSD drives in the MacBook Airs are also now Samsung.
...A bit more DM than FT perhaps...

Not much to do with either.

The links are mostly to American media.

Perhaps you'd like to tell me which of those is reliable and which not?

Or perhaps you'd like to argue with these figures:

"In after-hours trading on the US's tech-heavy NASDAQ market, Apple's share value hovered around $293 per share. At that level, Cupertino's market value comes in at over $267bn, surpassing the former number two, PetroChina, which is valued at a paltry $265.5bn."

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 16:28
Big to me means profit, employees, sales, etc. So I concur that Apple is currently the world's second most valuable company. It's not the 'biggest' though.
...It's not the 'biggest' though...

Profit, sales, employees (the fewer the better) are all reflected in the value.

"Biggest" and "most valuable" are more or less interchangeable in this context.

Think we agree that we disagree. Still think it's only the second 'biggest' and the share price has fallen and gone up... and fallen a few times.

Wish I had Apple shares from say ten years ago though!

BTW today's market cap figure for Apple is about $317bn.... Exxon is $423.6bn.

And something I didn't know... Samsung is a private company. So you couldn't even compare Apple and Samsung.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 16:47
Samsung is one of the Chaebol of Korea. Being a Chaebol, its so intertwined with government its more or less nationalised.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 20 Apr 11 at 17:15
And probably corrupt? That's what I thought you might be saying - not having a go but I know this sort of thing happens.

I see in the news about Apple suing Samsung that the turnover of Samsung is much higher than that of Apple. Figures really.

The thing about Apple's current position is that it could easily find itself worth a fraction of it's current value quickly. It was market capitalisation that got Porsche into trouble. They were worth more than VW and began a strategy to take them over. Trouble is they failed and VW took them over - they had to really. The market capitalisation of Porsche was based on their profit I think - much of which came from dealing in shares and not making/selling cars.
>> And probably corrupt? That's what I thought you might be saying - not having a
>> go but I know this sort of thing happens.

Corruption in the Chaebol has been proven in the past and sentences and fines handed down by the government only last as long as the next election!

>> The thing about Apple's current position is that it could easily find itself worth a
>> fraction of it's current value quickly. It was market capitalisation that got Porsche into trouble.
>> They were worth more than VW and began a strategy to take them over. Trouble
>> is they failed and VW took them over - they had to really. The market
>> capitalisation of Porsche was based on their profit I think - much of which came
>> from dealing in shares and not making/selling cars.

Apple is not on many investment portfolios "buy list" for this very reason. Its very much seen as a one trick pony (Jobs). It has an unusually high number of small investors. Most of them Jobites.
You have to give Jobs credit... he came back and turned it around at Apple. They were not doing well. All was well after they started producing well designed products again. The iPod and latterly iPhone helped a lot because the converts then wanted the laptops etc. Compaq had an MP3 player years before....

... then again the iPod that changed it all was the 3rd generation which also worked with PCs. The originals only sync'd over Firewire.

One machine and operating system Job was responsible for that I really admired was the NeXT cube. Underneath Mac OS X is the same system .... NeXTstep. And a cut down version of Mac OS X is iOS on the iPod touch, iPad, iPhone.
 Which i do I want? - spamcan61
>>
>> Apple is not on many investment portfolios "buy list" for this very reason. Its very
>> much seen as a one trick pony (Jobs). It has an unusually high number of
>> small investors. Most of them Jobites.
>>
A particularly risky situation given Jobs's health problems over the last few years.
Some possibly rather negative publicity about iPhones today I see.

We all know that your smartphone tracks your every move - the difference, it has just been discovered, is that Apple log it in a user accessible format stored both on the phone and on all machines the phone has been synced with.

Thus any ordinary user can pretty easily see where an iPhone has ever been.

See this, or any other techy news source really.

www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/04/your-iphone-is-tracking-you/237601/

All mobile phones are tracked by the phone companies - they know which cells it was talking to. If you turn it on on smartphones supporting it, Google Latitude tracks your position and logs your position online for others to look at.
Yes - but the others don't make it accessible to just anyone with access to the phone or any machine it has been plugged into, irrespective of the phone owner's knowledge or permission.
To access the info on the phone - you need the phone. And you don't just plug it into any old computer to sync it do you. You'd wipe the music and video files every time you swapped the computer it sync'd with. You also don't sync with a computer you don't know anything about.
This is not new or a problem, you know when you buy a phone it has location based services. MOst of the good apps are location based.
Apple update:

Well-received last quarter results, although iPad and Pod sales could have been better:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13152294

And it looks like the boat's come in.

Zero's classic for £175 on Amazon link is now showing as 10 in stock.

...update...

Bought a silver classic for £170 from Asda Online, using their collect in store service.

Quite a chunky device, but I'm sure the centre console in the CC3 will be able to take the extra weight.

Bigger screen and controls mean it's much easier to use than my nano.

I also reckon it sounds better through the Bose dock, although that could be new toy syndrome.

There's definitely more detail through the headphones, which I probably won't use again.

Not tried it in the car yet.

Latest Forum Posts