Non-motoring > Bridgewater Canal - how long is the tow path? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 3

Bridgewater Canal - how long is the tow path? - RattleandSmoke
Not sure if anybody will know the answer, but the other day I went on a nice cycle from Stretford and got as far as Brooklands in Sale. Looking at the canal on Google Maps it goes as far as Lymm and even Runcorn but it looks like its no longer accessible from Lymm.

I am planning to cycle to Lymm and back but I can do this via the towpath or does it suddenly end at Altrincham or some where?

I have fitted a new comfort saddle which means I can use my bike for much longer without injuring myself. I just need to fit new comfort handle bars now.

typo in header corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 19 Apr 11 at 12:34
 Bridgwater Canal - how long is the tow path? - RattleandSmoke
According to this www.bridgewatercanal.co.uk/walking.html it looks like I can cycle all the way down it to Runcorn.

I think that is a bit much though for an unfit person on a a £200 bike. That is why I thought Lymm might be a great place, it would still be nearly 30 miles return.
 Bridgwater Canal - how long is the tow path? - Ted

You can go as far as you want, Rats. I have been as far as Grappenhall on the towpath, and it didn't end there. Come back on the old railway track through Lymm and Dunham Massey, then access the canal again.

IIRC, it became illegal some years ago to cycle along the Bridgewater's towpath, under a by-law. It doesn't belong to the British Waterways but to the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

It's a contour canal so no locks anywhere along it's length

Last time I did it was some years ago. There were plenty of fishermen using long poles to fish the opposite side. One had a spare pole which was blocking the towpath and I slowed down, ready to stop and perhaps have a chat but he scrambled to his feet. In a hurry to shift his pole, he tripped, falling over his tackle box and lunch, knocking it all into the water !
I hadn't rung me bell or anything, I was in no hurry !

Had to chuckle, though.

Ted
 Bridgwater Canal - how long is the tow path? - Mapmaker
Rattle, why don't you click on the "cycling" part of the Bridgewater website - to which you provide a link - before asking here? 39 miles.

What is the relevance of the £200? Is it too cheap to be any good, or too expensive to throw in the cut when you get tired and catch a cab back home?

Latest Forum Posts