Non-motoring > Dust Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 21

Dust - smokie
Washed four cars on Friday, today they are covered with a layer of dust.

It's been suggested that it could be:

Saharan sand
Icelandic volcano
Local pollen

Any other thoughts? Whatever, it's pretty annoying...
 Dust - R.P.
Same here - I was covered in dust from my Census trek the other day - I joked that it was more Ice Cold in Waitrose than Ice Cold in Alex though.

Dust - Zero
Yeah, as per my rant in the job well done thread, covered in very thick sand, I scooped some off in my finger.,

The cloudburst washed it all off tho!
 Dust - AnotherJohnH
There's a lot of tree pollen falling at the moment, and dust from wherever the warm air is coming.

I cleaned the eldest's white Panda the other day, but it now looks like BL "Limeflower" as it is abandoned under a tree.. The finish is better though: no "orange peel".

At least we haven't had as much dust as the Germans the other week..
 Dust - Bigtee
Same here - I was covered in dust from my Census trek the other day - I joked

Try moving and not standing still for too long. :-)
 Dust - R.P.
Oh........I see, that actually works !
 Dust - CGNorwich
Its probably Saharan sand.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/04/09/sand-clouds-over-britain-after-sahara-storm-115875-23047869/

You may also be affected by pollen. My car stands near a a large oak and the oak flowers release an incredibly large amount of golden pollen over a few days. A lot lot finer than sand though.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 09:58
 Dust - jc2
Get a "Nenette" type mop.For you young lads(& lasses),it's an impregnated hand held mop-can be used around the house as well.
 Dust - Zero
on mine it was layers of both pollen and sand. You could feel the grit of the very find sand in your fingers, but it was also intermixed with pollen to give it colour and a staining ability.

I suspect that had you managed to gether it all, it would have weighed several gramms.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 09:58
 Dust - Dave_
Volcano dust still seems to be about - it turns the cloth black (not beige or brown) when I wipe the washing line down. Garden backs onto ~1 mile of fields so unlikely to be traffic fumes. There's definitely a lot of possibly Saharan dust in the air just now too.

No rainfall at all here for 19 days, according to www.photoweather.com/aws/
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi {P} on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 13:28
 Dust - smokie
Well the motors got a quick wash this morning after I posted this, and I put a layer of Autoglym stuff on the upper surfaces of mine, and already a layer is forming. Can't remember when we last had significant rain either.
 Dust - Runfer D'Hills
Been mountain biking three times over the long weekend which has involved getting the car up usually muddy, but currently dusty forest tracks to offload the bikes. I'm now hoping for a double whammy on Friday in the form of stair rod rain to get the car clean and simultaneously kybosh the wretched "street party"...
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 17:37
 Dust - Zero
Humph my old fruit, hope you dont mind and all that, but could I ask, Have you been trying to give up the weed again? Its just that you have been such a sour faced petulant miserable bgger these last few days.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 17:50
 Dust - Stuartli
The Sahara sand fall (it's happened in part years) was a while back now, so unlikely to be the cause.

I'm currently seeing a nice clean car get dirty after each wash because a neighbour is having some work done and the wind is in just the position to deposit the dust created onto my property...:-(
 Dust - Cliff Pope
>> The Sahara sand fall (it's happened in part years) was a while back now, so
>> unlikely to be the cause.
>>
>>
>>

The Libyan desert is being churned up quite a lot at the moment by tanks.
 Dust - Runfer D'Hills
No, just thought if I can't beat them I might as well join 'em. All learned at the feet of masters...

:-)
 Dust - Zero
Oh! I didnt think AC had been on much these past few days...
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 25 Apr 11 at 18:11
 Dust - Runfer D'Hills
To quote, or nearly anyway, the famous scottish Rabbi ( Rabbi Burns that is ) ...

Wud some gift the giftie gie us
Tae see oorsels as ithers see us...

...and yes, well, maybe, might be a bit weed starved currently, now you come to mention it. My wife would quite like me to start again..
 Dust - AnotherJohnH
>> My wife would quite like me to start again..

Good insurance?

Or just the mood and temper?
 Dust - Runfer D'Hills
Neither, just her sense of humour. Perfectly calm, nothing to see here. Happy tunes being whistled.

Now, "dust" was it?

Dust - Zero
Ash, i think
 Dust - Armel Coussine
>> Now, "dust" was it?

... he demanded in a thin voice through gritted teeth, his left toe, clad in a becoming Italian casual, tapping a very rapid but tellingly irregular rhythm on the tiles...
Latest Forum Posts