Non-motoring > Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant Miscellaneous
Thread Author: teabelly Replies: 7

Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - teabelly
My front garden is a mess. I could do with some small plants that I could just stick in and they would cover over an area and keep the weeds off. It's grass at the moment but it's awkward to maintain due to it being a small area and very uneven.

I was thinking alpine type of little bushy things? Are they suitable? I know nothing about gardening and didn't really want to go down the route of paving it over as it is bad for drainage and looks kind of depressing. It's south facing but the large hedge takes a lot of light so the plant has to be unfussy about light levels and be able to cope with both shade and full sun. I might want to do some gravelling later so I also could do with plants that don't mind being dug and moved elsewhere (probably the back garden as that isn't much better!)

Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - Bigtee
Dig it up and turn it into a vegetable garden south facing lots of sun and poor drainage will keep it moist and plenty of veg to eat.

Or pave some of it and around the edge leave this for some drainage and plant some flowers or a bush.

If you want ideas the b&q catologue is ideal.!!
 Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - Stuu
Sedum Spurium and Helianthemum, both alpines, totally hardy.

I bought plants last year, this year they have grown to 8-10 times the size of the plant bought atleast if not more, great ground cover if you plant 10-15 plants about 1ft away from eachother.
>> Sedum Spurium and Helianthemum, both alpines, totally hardy.
>>

I'll look out for those.

Not sure a veg patch is practical as it would be right on the road side and that is even more maintenance than grass!

Tomatoes in grow bags trained up the wall are a possibility though.

Digging it up and sticking down a load of bark chippings was another thought.
 Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - Stuu
My experience with bark chippings isnt good. Our garden is covere with a membrane, then bark chippings - what actually happens is no weeds but birds routinely chuck the chippings all over the place.
Id say better off with some sort of shingle, although alpines are great plants for non-gardeners as they dont need any tlc except perhaps a touch of water in a drought.
The ones I got were also £1.49 each which is about as cheap as a plant gets.
 Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - madf
Creeping thyme is good. Nice smell, smothers everything. Takes a year to get established though.
If they're dead cheap too then they're perfect :-) Lavender seems to grow well without any attention so I'll probably get a bit more of that as well.

Creeping thyme sounds good too.
 Low, hardy, quick growing ground covering plant - Iffy
A low growing - sometimes called ground-hugging or prostrate - cotoneaster will do the job.

It's a fast grower, evergreen with a bit of colour from berries.

Ideal ground cover.

Latest Forum Posts