Non-motoring > PlayStation hacker took user info Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 11

PlayStation hacker took user info - Bellboy
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359

is this frightening or what
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 26 Apr 11 at 22:58
 sony - rtj70
Mods change the title. Yes this is worrying BB. For someone like Sony to be lacks on security is not good. What about the smaller companies like Apple. :-)
 sony - RattleandSmoke
Surely it was all encrypted using the highest strength ciphers?
 sony - Zero
Nah, anyway, if you break into the right part you get the keys.
 sony - Bellboy
looks a crap title now
i do adverts for a living to grab attention and this dont do it
sony
did
Last edited by: Bellboy on Tue 26 Apr 11 at 23:04
 sony - VxFan
>> looks a crap title now

Gives the reader half a clue as to what the thread is about though. On other forums where I don't have to read each and every thread, I give the vague titled ones a miss.

>> i do adverts for a living to grab attention and this dont do it

Vague titles don't grab attention though.
 PlayStation hacker took user info - Skoda
Sony annoyed some bad guys with their handling of 'geohot', one of the guys who circumvented the security built into the ps3 devices.

I don't really like Sony, they're not the Audio / Visual wizards they were when I was growing up. Their approach to customers is really bad.

The last big story to make the normal press was when sony installed some nefarious software (made it possible to completely hide the presence of files and software from the PCs owner, which was used by Sony to hide it's spying software, but then used by other unsavoury types to hide their bad stuff) on users PCs without telling them and deliberately written to prevent un-installing.
Last edited by: Skoda on Wed 27 Apr 11 at 08:03
 PlayStation hacker took user info - Londoner
>> I don't really like Sony, they're not the Audio / Visual wizards they were when
>> I was growing up. Their approach to customers is really bad.
>>
Agreed. I always had Sony stuff for years, but then had lots of trouble with them in the early 2000's . I initially gave them the benefit of the doubt when items broke down, but then the replacements all broke down as well (and just out of warranty).

I had three main TV's, two portable TV's, two video recorders, a camcorder and a walkman all break down just out of warranty.

Customer service - if you can call it that - was woeful.

Switched to Panasonic for the replacements and they have been totally reliable.
 PlayStation hacker took user info - Runfer D'Hills
My wife works for a major bank in the field of detecting and tracing banking fraud. Suffice it to say she has requested the immediate stopping and replacement of her credit card linked to our son's PlayStation account. Her opinion is that anyone who has such an arrangement should do the same without delay.
 PlayStation hacker took user info - rtj70
Good advice Humph. I had some credit card fraud about a year ago. The Mastercard isn't used often but I'd use it maybe for online stuff and in restaurants. I don't use debit cards for either as there's no protection.

My card details must have been copied a long time earlier as I'd not used it in ages. All it takes is for someone who works for a company to note down the information and pass it on, e.g. when using it to buy something over the phone.

When I did get back I spotted what they'd used it for and tried to stop some items (from Sainsbury's) being dispatched. When I got through to Sainsbury's they could not talk to me about the order due to 'data protection' even though I pointed out the order was fraudulent and they were about to lose out. Basically they had to protect the privacy of the thief!

The card had also been used to purchase car insurance - obviously they only wanted the insurance certificate because the insurance would be cancelled.

EDIT: And I was made aware of the fraud pretty soon after it was committed by the card provider by way of an automated call. The purchasing pattern was picked up automatically and flagged the transactions... it was Barclays. The Bank also watches debit card use overseas... so if you don't tell them you're going overseas you may find the card doesn't work and you get a phone call. All fine by me ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 27 Apr 11 at 11:06
 PlayStation hacker took user info - BobbyG
The annoying thing about this is the banks, I assume, will be left to foot the bill for any fraudulent activity?
Or would they be able to claim from Sony on as big a case as this?
 PlayStation hacker took user info - AnotherJohnH
>> The last big story to make the normal press was when sony installed some nefarious software..

As memory serves Rattle would like that one - wasn't it the original "rootkit"?

Edit

Google he say:

news.cnet.com/Sony-settles-rootkit-class-action-lawsuit/2100-1002_3-6012173.html
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 27 Apr 11 at 10:40
Latest Forum Posts