Non-motoring > Problem communicating with Santander by phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 26

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - L'escargot
Yesterday a friend (who doesn't normally do her banking that way) rang Santander with a view to conducting a transaction. When she got connnected the automated voice asked her to key in her ID. She keyed in her PIN and was once again asked to key in her ID. Thinking she'd keyed in her PIN incorrectly she keyed it in again and for the trird time was asked to key in her ID. She put the phone down and concluded that the only solution was that today she'd have to go to her branch. She says that all she knows is her account number and her PIN. From where does she find out what her ID? Have you had this problem?
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - R.P.
Tell her to move to Smile - Mancunian humans staff the phones.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Iffy
...Mancunian humans...

Not often you see those two words one after the other.

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Ronald
If she doesn't normally do phone banking with Santander she may not have been given the additional 4 digit security number which is also needed for phone transactions.
>> If she doesn't normally do phone banking with Santander she may not have been given
>> the additional 4 digit security number which is also needed for phone transactions.
>>

Thanks Ronald. I'll tell her to ask her branch for the security number.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Bellboy
cant stand the staff in my sant branch
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - spamcan61
>> cant stand the staff in my sant branch
>>

Same here, they seem to enjoy being obstructive. Accounts being moved to their much more helpful competitors.
...Thanks Ronald. I'll tell her to ask her branch for the security number...

Barclays used to provide a separate telephone banking PIN number.

Might still do so - I've not used the telephone service for a long time.

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - bathtub tom
I've an account with them.

I have to use an eight digit customer ID, followed by a five digit PIN.
>> I've an account with them.
>>
>> I have to use an eight digit customer ID, followed by a five digit PIN.
>>

How did you get the eight digit customer ID?
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - John H
>> How did you get the eight digit customer ID?
>>

not by phoning them!

p.s. remember not to give your card PIN to anyone. the phone PIN is different and that will be asked for if a human answers the phone.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 11:19
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Cliff Pope
We belong to a small local group, largely defunct, but with about £250 in an Abbey National account, now Santander. The designated two cheque signatories have left and are not traceable.

I rang up Santander to ask what the procedure was for appointing new officials at a general meeting and so being able to access our account. As soon as I explained that I wasn't myself one of the signatories, he said he couldn't talk about it.
I said again that the whole point was we didn't have any signatories now, we wanted to appoint some. Sorry, he couldn't talk about it.
What should we do now? He couldn't talk about it.
Could we talk about a hypothetical account, not this one? He couldn't talk about that.
Was there anything we could talk about? He couldn't talk about that.

Supposing I said I wanted to deposit a million pounds in our account, could we talk about it?
He couldn't talk about that.

Could I talk to a manager? He couldn't talk about that.

etc etc etc.

So basically they have stolen our money.
...So basically they have stolen our money...

Write a cheque to yourself and get anyone to sign it.

I bet the bank pay it.

Bit naughty, but the group is entitled to its money.

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Ted

Go down to a branch with all your paperwork just before closing time and sit there until someone sorts it out.
Don't leave until you're satisfied or the police are called to eject you.

Ted
>>
>>
>> Write a cheque to yourself and get anyone to sign it.
>>
>>
>>

How do I get a cheque book? "I cannot talk about that".

I've tried asking at a branch. Branches don't deal with old Abbey National club accounts, I need to talk to the nice helpful man at head office.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Bromptonaut
Cliff,

Poor training on data protection allied to a regime that punishes infractions rather than learning from them leads to bone headed responses.

Send them by post a certified extract of the club's AGM/EGM minutes appointing new officers and ask them to amend the account signatories to match. If they still procrastinate threaten the FSA.

>>>>
>> Send them by post a certified extract of the club's AGM/EGM minutes appointing new officers
>> and ask them to amend the account signatories to match. If they still procrastinate threaten
>> the FSA.
>>
>>
>>

Tried that, no reply or acknowledgement. I haven't got round to the FSA approach yet.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - AnotherJohnH
FSA and then one of the newpapers - Jessica Gorst-Williams at the Terrorflag is very effective.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Fri 29 Apr 11 at 11:38
...Tried that, no reply or acknowledgement. I haven't got round to the FSA approach yet...

Ran this one past my banking brother.

He said it was quite common for small amounts of money to be left in accounts of clubs which cease to function, so someone in the bank will know of a way of dealing with this.

His solution was much the same as Bromptonaut's.

Hold a meeting of the remaining members of the committee, appoint a new treasurer/account signatories.

Make minutes of the meeting and present them to Santander.

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - bathtub tom
>>How did you get the eight digit customer ID?

They sent me a letter about three years ago with the details. They were A&L then.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Roger.
HSBC have just made it much more difficult to log-in to internet banking.
Now I have to input my internet banking customer number, remember the answer to a secret question, remember my PIN for the code generator they supply, generate a number, input it into a field.
In at last.
Previously just the internet banking number and three random characters from a 10 character password - much easier.
Progress backwards.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Crankcase
Interesting - I was toying with moving a bank account away from what was A&L and is now the dreaded Santander. Having no real reason to pick one over the other, I thought about the Co-Op, but I see they use those little code generator thingies as well, which neither of my current banks do.

Are they ok to use? I can envisage losing it, for one.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Focusless
>> Are they ok to use? I can envisage losing it, for one.

Bit of a PITA, but at least they're not tied to the account or account holder. Me and Mrs F have both got one so we can usually find at least one of them.
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 28 Apr 11 at 15:27
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Fursty Ferret
Replacements available for free at any bank - they might look different but the magic is done in the chip on the card, not in the reader so they'll all work.

They are also. usefully, a free (ahem) source of CR2032 batteries, which are a fortune on the high street.
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - John H
>> Are they ok to use?
>>
Yes.

>> I can envisage losing it, for one.
>>
replacements given freely - unless you make a habit of lsoing one every day or so.

Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Ted

Halifax just need your password, then a screen which asks for 3 random digits from a memorable 6 digit word.

Seems simple...never failed to get in.

Ted
 Problem communicating with Santander by phone - Crankcase
Thanks all - I'll not put the gadget up as a mental obstacle to changing banks then.
Latest Forum Posts