Non-motoring > Baboons. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 11

Baboons. - Ted

Watched the programme on Baboons tonight while waiting for the second part of Corrie.

It was about the feral ones in one of the Cape Town suburbs. What appalling behaviour !

You wouldn't want any living around your place, you couldn't do anything without them in mind. Do a bit of work on the car...lose your tools and ignition leads. Too hot ? Leave a window or door open then...no fear, they're in there nicking your kit and looting the fridge.
Nice pots and hanging baskets, washing on the line...I think not.... Let the baby have some fresh air in it's pram...they'd be off with it !

The show concentrated on the rubbish collection. Wheely bins overturned and the contents spread around the streets. Bin bags left out...just asking for it !

You would think, living amongst the nuisances, that a simple universal lock could be deleloped for the bins and lockable cages placed around for loose bags, but the residents seem to accept the situation and leave it to the poor bin-men to clear the area up.

It looked a reasonable area, hardly Soweto...do the residents have no pride in the neighbourhood ?

If I lived there, I'd be spending a small fortune on padlocks, pepper spray and batteries for the cattle prod !

Thank the Lord we only have wasps here !

Ted

Ted
 Baboons. - BiggerBadderDave
"Watched the programme on Baboons tonight"

Me too. Didn't she look lovely walking into Westminster Abbey.
 Baboons. - Bellboy
evils things
wonder how they taste after you spit them
loved queenies yellow
its the in colour this year you know
now anyone fancy a stilo in this colour.......................
Last edited by: Bellboy on Fri 29 Apr 11 at 22:49
 Baboons. - Ted

Been at the T Cut again, BB ?

Ted
 Baboons. - Armel Coussine
Got a nice yellow Stilo going cheap Bb?

I agree with you about baboons, nasty creatures. Most monkeys are too, and I'm not that keen on apes.

They are all a bit near the knuckle, but for truly humanoid personality and demeanour baboons take the prize. Yuck.
 Baboons. - henry k
I have seen them in action several times opening car doors etc. etc. in at least two locations in the Capetown area as shown in the previous program on them.

The signs at Cape Point used to say " You feed them then we will shoot them!"
Ian Knows all about them!

I was told that if you feed them they adopt the idea that humans are lower /subserviant to them. When food is not forthcoming they attack you hence the warning.
"The canines of a mature Chacma baboon are longer than those of the lion."
www.flickr.com/photos/wildafrica/260517694/

I have, on several trips, them spread across the road so you have to slow down thus allowing them to jump onto your ( hire) car thus also threatening a charge for car damage.
l
 Baboons. - Ian (Cape Town)
>> It was about the feral ones in one of the Cape Town suburbs. What appalling
>> behaviour !
IT IS THEIR NEIGHBOURHOOD. WE ENCROACHED ON IT.
>> You wouldn't want any living around your place, you couldn't do anything without them in
>> mind. Do a bit of work on the car...lose your tools and ignition leads. Too
>> hot ? Leave a window or door open then...no fear, they're in there nicking your
>> kit and looting the fridge.
SEE ABOVE

> The show concentrated on the rubbish collection. Wheely bins overturned and the contents spread around
>> the streets. Bin bags left out...just asking for it !
>>
>> You would think, living amongst the nuisances, that a simple universal lock could be deleloped
>> for the bins and lockable cages placed around for loose bags, but the residents seem
>> to accept the situation and leave it to the poor bin-men to clear the area
>> up.
>> NO - THE WHEELY BINS HAVE A COMPLICATED TWO_HANDS AT ONCE OPENING AND SELF-LOCKING SYSTEM.
SECONDLY, IN THE AREA WHERE THE THING WAS FILMED IT WAS NOT REPEAT NOT LOCALS WHO WERE TAGETTED, BUT TOURISTS!>> It looked a reasonable area, hardly Soweto...do the residents have no pride in the neighbourhood

WANT TO SEE THE HOUSE PRICES THERE?
>> If I lived there, I'd be spending a small fortune on padlocks, pepper spray and
>> batteries for the cattle prod !
>>

WAS down at Murdoch Valley (ask Henry K!) the other day, visting a friend, who owns a very large place which backs onto the mountain.
Yes, they have baboons in the area, BUT as mentioned above, we as humans are encroaching on their territory.
He knew when he moved in that the baboons would be a problem, and had the house sorted accordingly.
Likewise, when the baboons are on the prowl, he stands and shakes a catapult - you ain't allowed to shoot them, but they get the message - until they go away.

To repeat what henry said - the biggest problem is that idiot tourists (both overseas nd local) think feeding the boboons is fun. as a result, they have now associated humans with free food. And act accordingly.
Jumping on a bonnet, and staring at the wipers is bound to attract a blast of water. Great for a babbon. and they get angry IF you don't do it. and try to rip the wipers off.

Anyways, you watch Coronation street - how uncivilised is that?
 Baboons. - Ted

Very civilised, Ian....I sit in my armchair with a cold beer and the french window open and have no fear of any ape intrusion.......unless a certain friend comes round !

Neither have we snakes, big spiders, lions, crocodiles, rampaging elephants and a million other nasty things......for which I am eternally grateful.

Ted
>>
>> Very civilised, Ian....I sit in my armchair with a cold beer and the french window
>> open and have no fear of any ape intrusion.......unless a certain friend comes round !
>>
>> Neither have we snakes, big spiders, lions, crocodiles, rampaging elephants and a million other nasty
>> things......for which I am eternally grateful.
>>
>> Ted
>>
So, you have chalked in Cape Town for your next holiday, have you?
Cheap beer, beef you can safely eat, lots of fresh air and wide open spaces, great driving roads ... you know it makes sense!
 Baboons. - Stuartli
>>Cheap beer, beef you can safely eat, lots of fresh air and wide open spaces, great driving roads ... you know it makes sense!>>

Absolutely right and you should know as well as anyone...:-)
>> >>Cheap beer, beef you can safely eat, lots of fresh air and wide open spaces,
>> great driving roads ... you know it makes sense!>>
>>
>> Absolutely right and you should know as well as anyone...:-)
>>
Actually Stu, I'm having a BAD week this week... the new car isn't ready, so I'm stuck driving this 3.0 turbodiesel Navara for a few more days.
It sucks.

Baboons. - Armel Coussine
>> no fear of any ape intrusion.......unless a certain friend comes round !

To fix your computer and seek automotive advice and reassurance? That black trainer just below the dent in the Sheikh's dent OP does recall the back paw of a very large wanderoo ... but wanderoos are monkeys really.

I feel we should give up dissing Ratto. The attention may over-inflate his self-esteem, if the teasing doesn't demolish it that is.
Latest Forum Posts