Non-motoring > Bad Ebay day. Auctions
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 29

Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
Been having a bit of a garage laundry and stuck some items on Ebay. SWMBO runs that side of things and has an unblemished record.

One item I listed was a Tom Tom motorcycle specific Sat Nav:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270736714196

Sells for not a bad price and dispatched. Buyer contacts me stating that the Sat Nav works however the RAM handlebar ball mount is missing form his purchase. For those not familiar with motorcycle fits there is a ball mount on the cradle and some form of ball mount fitted around the headstock/handlebar area. The two balls are joined by a short arm with clamps on each end that clamp onto the balls.

Courteously inform him that there was not one included in the list of accessories on the listing nor is it shown in the photograph.

States that now he's going to give me Neg feedback. Then he contacts me saying we may be able to resolve the feedback issue if I let him have £15 cash refund so he can buy the mount.

Remind him again as to what I had originally said and that I was not going to be blackmailed or bullied.

Negative feedback posted as item not fit for purpose.

Does the listing look good to you? If I was to be super critical I described the motorcycle Sat Nav cradle as a 'mount' but then where was the mount if a cradle was shown in the photo?

Faith in human nature bashed. (Not forgetting SWMBO's feedback score :-S
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 30 Apr 11 at 22:32
 Bad Ebay day. - Fenlander
FC I'm a frequent and , I hope fair, Ebayer.

Assuming I've understood your explanation...

Unless I was 100% familiar with the specific model and exact parts for this unit I would have expected it, from the way it was listed, to be useable/mountable without buying any missing parts.

Had I listed it I would have specifically mentioned it could not be mounted without missing parts being purchased.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 30 Apr 11 at 22:56
 Bad Ebay day. - Stuu
Tbh, from a brief read, it does sound like its 'all there'.

Bidder may feel they have a valid point given that it obviously isnt 'ready to use' and if you knew there was an important part missing, it would have been prudent to point this out clearly. It isnt clear.
BTW in such cases I look at the buyer history... been an Ebayer for 8rs and 100% positive over 348 deals... so no history of messing folks about.
 Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
"Had I listed it I would have specifically mentioned it could not be mounted without missing parts being purchased."

Fair comment.
 Bad Ebay day. - Clk Sec
I wouldn't be too happy if I was the buyer. He has a valid point.
 Bad Ebay day. - Iffy
I'm erring towards Fullchat on this one.

He says "I'm not familiar with Tom Toms' in his script.

The buyer can reasonably expect all the items in the photo, but not extra items.

I reckon the buyer knew the part was not there, knew its cost, and intended to attempt blackmail on the seller all along.

The buyer should have dealt with the matter via a question before bidding.

This story reminds me of why I steer clear of ebay.

I bought one thing - for about £8 - a few years ago and was hassled by the vendor several times to leave positive feedback.

It was my last experience of ebay.

Bad Ebay day. - -
You have to read ebay ads very carefully, which given the guff some put in can be quite daunting.
Try to work out what isn't being said, some sellers are clever with their manipulation of words, not saying that's the case here, just in general.

I'd have to be very sure of deliberate misleading to leave neg feedback, if in doubt i don't leave any feedback.

I've only left neg once when someone who bought my low mileage Diesel MB failed to turn up and became nasty when i contacted him...what got to me was the dishonour of the man, something i can't abide even in these disappointing times.
 Bad Ebay day. - Iffy
...which given the guff some put in can be quite daunting...

That's another thing in FC's favour.

The prose in his advert is a model of clarity, so there's even less excuse to try to chip him.

Bad Ebay day. - smokie
If the picture shows what was sent, then the buyer had the opportunity and at least some obligation to check that what he wanted was there.
 Bad Ebay day. - Clk Sec
>> The buyer can reasonably expect all the items in the photo, but not extra items.
>> I reckon the buyer knew the part was not there
>> This story reminds me of why I steer clear of ebay.

I have no experience whatsoever of buying or selling on ebay and have never owned a satnav, but having viewed FC's link of the various parts (and one of the items looks very much like a clamp) I would have expected to receive a complete component, ready to assemble and use.

I very much doubt that there was dishonesty on either side; nothing more than a simple misunderstanding which would likely be resolved on a 50/50 basis.
 Bad Ebay day. - R.P.
Knowing TT and RAM gear I would have expected it to be ready to mount as well....sorry
 Bad Ebay day. - R.P.
The flip side is that he did get a bargain - these still fetch good money, even when they're comparatively old. I would certainly have questioned it when it showed up.
Where FC went wrong was using the phrase *Bracket to mount to motorcycle*.

In most reasonable folks minds this would lead to the expectation that when received you could mount it to a motorcycle without buying extra parts.
 Bad Ebay day. - R.P.
That's exactly how I interpreted it as well...
 Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
Thanks for all your supportive feedback :-S.

To be honest I had not even considered the bracket in question as I just collected all the parts I had removed from the bike; leaving the FJR specific mount in situ for the Garmin, photographed and listed each part I would be supplying in the listing. You will notice that I also mentioned any specific shortcomings.

My expectation rightly or wrongly would be that a prospective purchaser would identify what parts were supplied and what were not and would bid accordingly or ask questions. They would then source those further components needed to complete the installation to their specific machine.

My first contact claimed the part was 'missing'. My argument that it was not listed in the first instance. At that point negative feedback was mentioned. A suggestion was then made that I should compensate to the value off a new component in question. And there it finished when I declined.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 1 May 11 at 13:07
 Bad Ebay day. - Zero
Honest, impartial feedback perhaps? If you want soothing words and therapy, you know well this is not the place.

Think of it from the purchasers prospective, gone to all the agro of bidding, paying, waiting for arrival then discovery it couldn't actually be fitted to his bike.*

A part you assumed he would know was not there, a part he assumed was, to achieve * above.

Its stuff, stuff happens, both parties peed off.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 May 11 at 13:15
 Bad Ebay day. - Focusless
Was the option of returning it discussed, with perhaps an offer to pay for the postage?
In reality the buyers offer for a £15 refund to purchase the mising part was quite fair.
 Bad Ebay day. - Clk Sec
Or possibly half of that amount. After all, he wasn't buying a brand new satnav.
 Bad Ebay day. - Zero
He wasnt paying brand new bike tomtom price.
 Bad Ebay day. - Clk Sec
Just as a matter of interest, is the negative feedback cast in stone or can it be removed at a later date?
 Bad Ebay day. - Clk Sec
>>Is negative feedback cast in stone?

In answering my own question, a google search reveals that negative feedback can be removed by the buyer.
 Bad Ebay day. - Roger.
Slightly OT, but I had a GOOD eBay day!
I was bidding on an Ercol corner unit which finished, of all days, on Friday last!
I think the seller must have been dreaming, or totally unaware of the "other" event, (a wedding I believe?) but I had it for a really, really, good price;other similar units are listed with BINs of £295 to £395 and in the light colour I wanted, usually make around £250 in a bidding situation: I snaffled it for £165.
Result!
 Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
Well done. Did it include the handles.

Taxi for Fullchat.
 Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
"Honest, impartial feedback perhaps? If you want soothing words and therapy, you know well this is not the place."

None expected. Just thought I would canvas peoples thoughts as potential purchasers.

"Was the option of returning it discussed, with perhaps an offer to pay for the postage?"

Considered from my perspective. Chances of it being returned in the same condition as delivered?? Could get really messy.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 1 May 11 at 15:02
 Bad Ebay day. - Zero
Look, you (Mrs FC, either that or you have poor taste in shoes) still have good feedback, the buyer had good feedback, (so hes clearly not a serial ebay moaner or cheater ) clearly you both got a little het up over it (the blackmail stuff was a bit heat of the moment - admit it).

It will be soon be forgotten in the annuls of Ebay feedback history.

Bad Ebay day. - Iffy
...leaving the FJR specific mount...

So this other buyer happened to have an FJR.

What if he had a Fazer?

Would Fullchat be obliged to supply a mount for that?

The buyer cannot expect bike-specific bits unless they are clearly listed.

Bad Ebay day. - Focusless
You often see a seller's response underneath a buyer's negative feedback - have you done that FC?
 Bad Ebay day. - Fullchat
Oh yes.

As for the shoes Z. Elderly Mother is downsizing and we are having a clearout.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 1 May 11 at 16:42
Latest Forum Posts