Non-motoring > Dambusters Ch4 now Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 16

Dambusters Ch4 now - sooty123
A remake of barnes wallace's most famous bomb. Anyone else watching?
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Zero
I was scared to, I might throw things at the screen. Its one thing to make an oil drum skip over water, its another to make 4000 kilos of torpex skip to a target area of 15 yards over a 500 yards distance!
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Armel Coussine
Perhaps we can improvise a bouncing telly-bomb out of a plastic polypin and a few kilos of semtex Zero.

I used to have a pneumatic machine gun that fired pingpong balls. Kept it in the sitting room for the prime minister on TV (Lord Home at the time I seem to remember, Baillie Vass as Private Eye ingeniously dubbed him). Trouble was, I couldn't resist giving the cat a bit of infantry training too, poor animal. Fortunately the weapon soon wore out, but I still miss it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 2 May 11 at 20:44
I have a great fly swat pistol. Elastic band powered it fires out a kind of plastic umbrella. Completely useless but great fun.
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Armel Coussine
Bring back the spud gun for blackguard small boys (and their ilk old enough to know better)!
 Dambusters Ch4 now - sherlock47
The measuring kit looks as tho it came from a BluePeter studio!
 Dambusters Ch4 now - R.P.
The measuring kit that 617 squadron had was no better. They also had AAA to contend with and the stress of flying from UK to Germany through occupied Europe to add to their troubles before they even found the lakes. It was a remarkable achievement by any standard, although arguably a waste of young lives.
 Dambusters Ch4 now - TheManWithNoName
The plane featured in parts of the documentary is 'Just Jane'. A non-flying Lanc which taxis up and down the runway. I went to see it last year and they fired up all 4 Merlins within 30 feet of the crowd. Fantastic!

For more info visit their web.
No I'm not connected to it in anyway - its just a fantastic day out and well worth supporting.

www.lincsaviation.co.uk/
 Dambusters Ch4 now - bathtub tom
What I remember from the film was the use of a couple of light beams that converged at the necessary height. No mention of it now.
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Perky Penguin
You are right; it is alleged that the plot was hatched after the boys had been to the Windmill Theatre and seen the spotlights. It wasn't mentioned but, to be fair, it wouldn't have worked in broad daylight so I guess they glossed over it
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Focusless
I remember reading somewhere that they just had a horizontal stick with a couple of vertical bits a certain distance apart, and when they lined up with the 2 towers on the dam, the plane was the right distance away*. Might have been in the comic I used to get though :)

* obviously the bomb aimer had to be the correct distance from the stick as well
>> You are right; it is alleged that the plot was hatched after the boys had
>> been to the Windmill Theatre and seen the spotlights. It wasn't mentioned but, to be
>> fair, it wouldn't have worked in broad daylight so I guess they glossed over it

It might have been possible to fly at 60 feet, but at night - no way. So the "converging spotlights" was used because it was night flying. In fact in the real raid they didn't use the "two prongs and peg" device to gauge bob release, but a length of string pulled from two points
Open day on Saturday 6th August, among other dates. It is possible to pay a bit extra and be a passenger during the taxying runs; don't tell H&S or that will be another avenue of harmless pleasure closed!
 Dambusters Ch4 now - Dulwich Estate
OMG ! Two Hundred and Twenty blooming quid to ride up and down the runway for 30 minutes.

As much as I'd love to do it I'd prefer to spend my £220 on really flying somewhere.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 3 May 11 at 17:14
WOW! I knew it happened but I didn't know it cost THAT much! Mind you the engine maintenance and fuel won't be cheap but I'll be there and keep my dosh in my wallet.
Well I watched on 4-OD. I was perhaps a tad Miserable Old B. It was a pretty good effort. Well worth eyeball time.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 3 May 11 at 17:52
 Dambusters Ch4 now - helicopter
I can point you in the direction of a London Sightseeing Helicopter Trip for yourself and your significant other for that sort of money Dulwich.....

www.london-helicopters.co.uk/Helicopter-Sightseeing-Trips.php

Really worth it - by the way , I am nothing to do with these people ..... other helicopter sightseeing trips are available etc etc......
Latest Forum Posts