Non-motoring > Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Woodster Replies: 18

Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Woodster
I called two garages today for a service price. Both took full details and promised to phone me back. They both did that, but with the message to please call them back. Call me fussy, but that's another 2 phone calls I've got to make, going through the various options and then trying to get hold of the same person, just to be told the price that they could have well left on my phone! It drives me nuts when people can't do what they promised!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 May 11 at 18:47
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Alanovich
They need you on the phone so they can say "which day can we book you in for" when they give you the price. If they leave the price on the answerphone and you don't like it, there's a bigger risk they'll lose the business.

Sales tactic. At least they're switched on.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Iffy
...It drives me nuts when people can't do what they promised!...

You must be in a permanent state of mental derangement, given what you do for a living.

Most of us are only lied to once or twice a week, not 20 times a day.

Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Badwolf
I am very definitely turning a grumpy old man which, at the age of 37, is a little worrying. It's not been helped by my back giving me terrible gyp over the past week or so, and the discovery of my first grey hair yesterday.

I have to agree with the OPs point, though. Even though what Alanovic says makes a lot of sense, it still leaves me wondering who is really serving who in the so-called 'service industry'...
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Alanovich
They are serving whoever it is who gets to bank the profits, first and foremost.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - bathtub tom
>>and the discovery of my first grey hair yesterday.

Pah! Wait until you discover the first one 'lower down'. You'll also find they then have no restriction on their length, like the ones that'll come out of your nostrils, your ears.................
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Mike Hannon
I've been reading 'Grumpy Old Men - the Secret Diary' that I picked up in the UK a few weeks ago. Convinces me more than ever of what I am. I've even considered changing my screen name but I guess thousands of others have done the same.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Zero
Its the mutant ones, grey, as thick as the QE2 mooring rope, suddenly sprouting from your eyebrows that get me.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Armel Coussine
>> suddenly sprouting from your eyebrows

And in thick clumps from your ears and nostrils... and the ones that... no, better not go there. Don't want to get BBD in any more of a lather than usual...
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - SimonB
Wasn't it Victor Borge who observed that as you get older, the hair on your head grows back into your scalp and out through your ears and nose?
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Armel Coussine
... and your... oh never mind.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Skoda
You all paint a really graceful picture of ageing... Erm, not!
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Woodster
You've managed to drift to unwanted bodily hair. Hmmm... Well, a little bit of good news (if you're me) the local VW garage is £43 cheaper to service the Octy than the not so local Skoda garage. And I pluck the ear hair with a little pair of tweezers as soon as I can feel it sprouting. Can't abide the sight of it...
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Fullchat
Ahh, theres always one that survives then one day the light just catches it right and there's this 1" hair stuck out off your ear lobe. "Thats why people have been looking at he side of my face for the last week or so."
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Perky Penguin
Ah! That'll be Archishop Williams then!
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - Dulwich Estate
I had a "close shave" in the shaver recently. Ageing has made the eyes not so good at close up focusing and I picked up a bottle that I presumed was shampoo. Squirted some of it on my hand and something didn't feel right so didn't use it.

Daughter had left her hair removing cream in the shower.
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - bathtub tom
Give over. We all know you're balding naturally. ;>)
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - AnotherJohnH
>> Its the mutant ones, grey, as thick as the QE2 mooring rope, suddenly sprouting from
>> your eyebrows that get me.
>>

another trainee "Denis Healey".

Me too.

Not quite as bad as his "Spitting Image" yet though.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Wed 4 May 11 at 04:05
 Arghhhh! grumpy old man syndrome - helicopter
Can I recommend one of these to all you elderly hair sprouting chaps ..........

tinyurl.com/682bftj

Useful for trimming beard , nostrils, ears and er - other areas ......
Latest Forum Posts